Bottom lock chandlers, Braunston.

johnmck

Featured Posts

It appears that the chandlers is closing down, at least under the present owners.

Everything has 25% off. I have always found the prices competitive,  so now even more so.

Worth popping in if you are near.

2 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I got a nice tiller pin from there. They have out of the ordinary stuff

They might still have that hulking great ratchet windlass that has sat there unsold for years.  Maybe someone will be prepared to pay £112.50 for it, as nobody has stumped up the £150 it was priced at!

Just now, alan_fincher said:

They might still have that hulking great ratchet windlass that has sat there unsold for years.  Maybe someone will be prepared to pay £112.50 for it, as nobody has stumped up the £150 it was priced at!

As long as they have a sack truck to carry it away.

Hope its not closing, a good browse round a well stocked chandlers is one of the real pleasures of boating, especially one with lots of engineering bits. I suppose its the internet doing its evil like it is for many high street shops. Tooleys was a good one before they got rid of all their stuff and became a tourist attraction.

I think people like Limekiln maybe have it right by combining a real shop with good internet sales.

.................Dave

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A clearance sale that only lasts three days then prices revert to original would be a strange sort of clearance sale...

Seems to work for DFS

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A clearance sale that only lasts three days then prices revert to original would be a strange sort of clearance sale...

Think it was more like a MC freaky Friday but for longer....and with more useful stuff! 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

That's a shame.  A useful alternative to Midland Chandlers, and sometimes able to supply stuff MC doesn't, including (from memory), Craftmaster paints.

Damn, I was going  there sometime in the near future for some Craftmaster paint. Hate shopping at closing down sales, feel like a vulture,.

I really don't know all the details, or exactly what has gone on, but somethink has changed.

We arrived for blacking on Saturday and called into the chandlers to book in, as usual. Only to be told they had nothing to do with the blacking now.

Today, we popped in to check on the boat. Visiting the chandlers and speaking to Sue, we were told she/they were retiring and the chandlers was closing. 

6 minutes ago, Slim said:

Damn, I was going  there sometime in the near future for some Craftmaster paint. Hate shopping at closing down sales, feel like a vulture,.

It has not been confirmed that it is closing down. Until it is I will treat it as an Internet rumour. 

Eta

Typing at the same time as johnmck so didn't see his post ^^^^^. Sad if it is true. 

Edited by reg

1 minute ago, reg said:

It has not been confirmed that it is closing down. Until it is I will treat it as an Internet rumour. 

Very helpful and friendly people at that chandler's. I would hope that if it is only an I'll informed rumour then this thread should be pulled. 

The owner told us she is retiring and the buisness closing. What exactly is I'll informed about that?

1 minute ago, johnmck said:

The owner told us she is retiring and the buisness closing. What exactly is I'll informed about that?

Was typing my correction and removing that part of the statement, which on reflection I though was a bit harsh, at the same time as you, happy to accept your later comment. 

We also visited today and were given the impression that the chandlery will not be closing down until some time after the Crick show weekend.  Plenty of Phil Speight in stock.  Normally they are not allowed to discount it so you may not get a bargain.  Agree it's very sad but hope forumites will continue to support the business while they can.