Best weather app or website?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

The Rain Alarm app is really useful.

It doesn’t give you a forecast, but has satellite imagery that shows where it’s raining (and how hard). It used to show the previous 2 hours, but now just 1 hour (in 20 minute intervals.) You can zoom in on your area, track the showers and then work out how long you have before the rain arrives. 

BBE56A63-45A7-4200-BB8F-DFEAD149396B.png

07C70624-363D-424D-B114-A763D8DA6B46.png

91144205-56C4-4971-9EAD-02CFC77872CC.jpeg

Without wanting to sound flippant I've always found looking up and watching the sky to be the most informative.

I have the BBC weather app on my phone which I like the look of and it's easy to use. But I'm not sure it's quite so accurate since they stoped using the Met office but it does fine. 

The Met office App give much more info as far as I'm aware but I haven't paid for or signed into either of them just need the locations I wanted to check. The Met gives you a proper "bod in front of a bored" forecast too which is quite handy (if it's still dark and you can't see the sky :D)

I think it is more about what you want to see. If it is wind speed, then XC weather is very good and the choice of a lot of lumpy water sailors. I do find XC weather poor at predicting rain. For rain I use net weathers rain radar for rain that day. For rain the next day, the the met office, is good and then they are all much of a muchness for rain 2 days out.

Depends on your level of knowledge and what you want from a site.  If you are just interested in rain then the UKMO is the only site in the 

UK who use 1km model resolution (i.e. forecast points every 1km).  The other sites use far coarser resolutions - some even up to 25km (GFS).  The best freely available site I have found (as an ex-meteorologist) is without a doubt windy.com  who have access to ECMWF - probably the best medium range forecast model out there.  If you want just a radar type view of current conditions/rain then there are quite a few good apps out there to look at and they are all pretty much the same (as they are based on the radar data the UKMO releases).  My favorite though has been 'tarnished' by google now slapping 'for development purposes' all over the background map as the site obviously doesn't want to or can't afford the fees google now charge to use their maps on public sites.  

Another vote for XC weather. It predicted a breeze getting up yesterday early afternoon and was  spot on. 

For sea state and wind speeds I have used marine meteoconsult

https://marine.meteoconsult.co.uk/marine-weather-forecast/shipping-forecast.php

I don't rely on any weather forecast more than a day or two ahead.

I used to use Metcheck but for the last couple of years I’ve used the Met Office site.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/

I’ve found them to be particularly good on timing as well as forecasting rain.

Havng said that, after mooring up this morning I tapped in ‘Chester ‘ and got what was clearly a completely wrong forecast (sunny all day and 26 degrees).  Turned out of course this was for Chester in the USA.

I use the BBC, the Met Office, Metcheck and Accuweather.

It's all driving me nuts. It's not so much that I haven't been able to figure which one is the least inaccurate, more that they all disagree so much. Today, for example, one tells I should stay where I'm moored this morning and set off after lunch when the chance of rain is much lower. Another tells me the complete opposite!

Perhaps I should pick the one that looks prettiest (quite like the Met Office app and website) and dump all the others.

Or just look up at the sky and guess the future.

I did use one a while back that provided a summary of (the main?) forecasters and an average of them all but I can't remember what it was called. Limited detail though IIRC, though detail is less than helpful without accuracy. I'll try Googling and see if I can find it.