Hyd Drive Questions

nody

Featured Posts

Hi

I am a new owner of a Safari Hampton on the Norfolk Broads which has hydraulic drive fitted. I just need a little guidance please. The throttle lever which is attached to the DCV seems to be getting stiffer and harder to operate and I'm sure this is worse when the boat has been going on for some hours. I first thought maybe its to hot but it does have an oil cooler attached and the pipes do not feel hot. I am wondering if the DCV is damaged in some way? Has anybody else had any experience in this problem?

I noticed the other day when I was clearing out the boat that there was a bottle of comma hyd oil. Hmmmm I'm thinking why would you be keeping that on the boat so wondering if it is requring a lot of top ups. Would this be normal for this system? I have to say I have checked all pipes for leaking and can say there is no leaks. I'm wondering if there is a connection between the problem with the the stiff throttle lever and lack of oil? Problem is I can't get to the sight glass. Would a lack of oil cause this problem?

That's it for now

Thank you

Mark

Disconnect the cable form the control/spool valve and try operating the valve by hand. That will tell you if its the vvalve or cable. My guess is cable or badly adjusted cable(s) causing the single lever control to "bind".

Hydraulic drives should not need topping up between services but I would always carry spare oil in case of a leak and needing to keep moving. However hydraulic leaks can get very, very messy!

Can't you take the filler cap off and look into the tank?

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply. Yep great idea. I've also just thought to myself that there is a lot of slack, I would say an inch before the throttle does anything, if that makes sense.

A ball park question. How often do you think the service should be and, is it easy enough to do?

Yes I can just about get to the filler cap through the old water cap.

Thanks

Mark

If you mean an inch on the single lever control lever then it sounds a bit small to me but canm't be sure unless I inspect the boat. You should put it in "gear"/drive before you open the throttle.

The throttle cable length is normally adjusted with the control in slow ahead or astern. It sounds as if you MIGHT have a maladjusted throttle cable so take one end of the cable off, set the control to slow ahead and the adjust the length so the end you took off just drops into place. But still check the valve lever by ahnd.

Engine service at the number of hours recommended by the mariniser and hydraulics as recommende3d by the equipment supplier - possibly ARS. https://www.arsangliandiesels.co.uk/

Personally I would prefer  boaters kept well away from the inside of the reservoir and contented themselves with changing any hydraulic filters, say one a year and back flushing the oil cooler at the same time.