Battery charger...leave turned on?

umpire111

Featured Posts

Have a dated Sterling International charger on my 2005 boat, should I leave it turned on when leaving the boat for weeks. Eg 4 weeks and 6 months over winter? Is it better to get someone to turn it on for a few hours every week while the boats left?

10 hours ago, umpire111 said:

Have a dated Sterling International charger on my 2005 boat, should I leave it turned on when leaving the boat for weeks. Eg 4 weeks and 6 months over winter? Is it better to get someone to turn it on for a few hours every week while the boats left?

If it's a modern smart charger most would leave it on when away for an extended period (it's what they're designed for), but be aware that you really need a Galvanic Isolator or an Isolation Transformer if you're leaving your boat connected to a shore supply. 

I've got a Mastervolt 100/2000 ? Combi and a dated 150a (actually 2 x 75) "4 stage" Sterling battery charger. Whilst the Sterling seems to do everything one would expect from a multi stage charger the. voltage/current is different for each of the Channels chosen. On  balance I would use the Sterling if I were present but when I leave the boat over the winter etc it's the Masrervolt every time

I left mine on all the time when we bought the boat but never felt happy having the boat connected to shore power all the time even with a galvanic isolator onboard. After 9 months (3 years ago) I had 200W of solar fitted and now never leave the charger switched on. Batteries are always on float when we arrive at the boat even in the depths of winter.