Broom Ocean 30 Cruiser

Dearhound

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

Perhaps we are on the wrong forum after all.

Not at all. 

There is a lot to be said for having a shallow draughted seaworthy broad beam boat. 

Whilst we are currently moored in Weymouth we have every intention of moving around the coast, taking advantage of our seagoing capabilities and exploiting our 0.7m draught to come inland. 

In the unlikely event that the sea, Broad beam canals and rivers become tedious there are plenty of hire boat companies who will happily take our money. 

26 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

No you're not - please stay. 

You are exploring options and finding out what suits and what doesn't, some of the forum members may have forgotten the time when they did the same thing but is good to be curious and god knows this forum needs some more of the new and curious. 

ETA rereading that I make you sound like a fair ground attraction - but I hope you know what I mean :huh:

Tumsh :hug:

Edited by Tumshie

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

ETA rereading that I make you sound like a fair ground attraction - but I hope you know what I mean :huh:

How appropriate:

Richard

MORE: Barnham. Someone here will know who the steerer is

Edited by RLWP

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

No you're not - please stay. 

You are exploring options and finding out what suits and what doesn't, some of the forum members may have forgotten the time when they did the same thing but is good to be curious and god knows this forum needs some more of the new and curious. 

Tumsh :hug:

Thank you dear Tumshie!  It is absolutely true that we're starting from the beginning so apologies everyone for the stupid questions.  But we will live on a boat next year someway somehow!

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are you experienced lumpy water boaters then? Is this why you focus on cruisers?

Please remember, we only know what you have told us about yourselves, which so far has been very little other than you want to live on a boat, and you have family in sussex. 

No we are not experienced boaters at all yet, which is why I'm asking silly questions. Trying to figure out which kind of boat to live on, & where.  Before we get any kind of boat on any kind of water we'll make sure we know a good deal about what we're doing.   We are living in Ireland until next year when we move to the UK, which is home for me - my mother lives in Surrey.  Also, at the moment anyway, dealing with a small budget, & being handy handy people we're tending towards the idea of a boat that might need some work doing, interior-wise anyway.  I do like the idea of going a bit coastal, as long as we knew what we were doing  We are both pretty sensible. 

• Greenie 3

20 hours ago, Dearhound said:

I have an elderly mum in Guildford, but apart from that we are free spirits & would like to travel the waterways as much as we can.  I suppose we don't necessarily need to be on the canals but that had been our original plan until I started wondering if they - the canals -  are really getting too busy  & started wondering if GRPs might be more economical as well as more versatile in a way....

A typical narrowboat uses 1.25 - 1.5 litres of diesel an hour, so hard to beat on economy, although that old Mercedes motor is about 40 horse so shouldn't be a gas guzzler.  The Broom might be a nice choice for the Norfolk Broads or some wider rivers, but if you really want to explore the canal network you either need a narrowboat or a narrow beam cruiser.  You'll be restricted by beam on canals with the Broom as has already been said, but also by air draught at approaching 2 meters. There are many low priced narrow beam cruisers to choose from. However, if you intend to be aboard all year, I'd strongly recommend something well insulated with a solid fuel stove. Before you splash out, I'd also suggest you hire a boat and see how you get on.

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, carlt said:

A salesman will tell you anything you want to hear though.

9 hours ago, Dearhound said:

Fear not there are several on here with cruisers capable of canal, river, estuary and coastal cruising.

You are not alone 

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

A typical narrowboat uses 1.25 - 1.5 litres of diesel an hour, so hard to beat on economy, although that old Mercedes motor is about 40 horse so shouldn't be a gas guzzler.  The Broom might be a nice choice for the Norfolk Broads or some wider rivers, but if you really want to explore the canal network you either need a narrowboat or a narrow beam cruiser.  You'll be restricted by beam on canals with the Broom as has already been said, but also by air draught at approaching 2 meters. There are many low priced narrow beam cruisers to choose from. However, if you intend to be aboard all year, I'd strongly recommend something well insulated with a solid fuel stove. Before you splash out, I'd also suggest you hire a boat and see how you get on.

Now you see people often suggest their narrow boats use very little fuel, but they take so long to get any where that they end up using the same or more fuel then our alleged gas guzzler!

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Now you see people often suggest their narrow boats use very little fuel, but they take so long to get any where that they end up using the same or more fuel then our alleged gas guzzler!

So can you get from Napton to Coventry faster than me in your boat?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yeah, that sounds pretty feasible when you say it quickly enough, doesn't it? :D

However, I have done a bit of seagoing boating in a range of more powerful vessels and watched the wheels go whizzing round on the pump even after, say, popping across the Solent to Cowes for lunch in a 90hp RHIB (so only twice the power of my NB).  Notwithstanding @ditchcrawler 's apposite comment above, I doubt your statement really stands the maths - but I'd be genuinely interested if you could show your working out.

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yeah, that sounds pretty feasible when you say it quickly enough, doesn't it? :D

However, I have done a bit of seagoing boating in a range of more powerful vessels and watched the wheels go whizzing round on the pump even after, say, popping across the Solent to Cowes for lunch in a 90hp RHIB (so only twice the power of my NB).  Notwithstanding @ditchcrawler 's apposite comment above, I doubt your statement really stands the maths - but I'd be genuinely interested if you could show your working out.

My story :

Hull marina to 'Wells Next The Sea'

Running on both engines as heading directly into a Southerly wind, tide with us for about half of the trip, & against us for the other half.

Approx. 60 miles

Took 13 hours (averaged about 5 knots)

Running both engines

Re-fueled to 'full' and it took 20 litres in each tank at £0.93 per litre. (call it £40)

A couple of hours after we arrived another boat came in from Hull - he did the same journey in under 3 hours.

His average speed was about 23 knots

He estimated he had used about £180 of fuel.

• Greenie 1

On 21/04/2019 at 23:59, Mike the Boilerman said:

Even if the whole of the UK accepted the demands of Extinction Rebellion and all motoring, aviation and industry were shut down overnight so out CO2 output fell to zero, it would barely make a dent in the problem of global warming, so my view is theya re just pissing into the wind. 

Dealing with the consequences means doing stuff like selling my house in Weymouth which was only 1m above high tide, 10 years ago before everyone twigged the problem, or perhaps moving one's boat down south to where there is a better water supply. Or selling the boat and getting some other sort of shelter perhaps. Or moving countries if necessary. But I doubt this will be necessary before you and I succumb to old age and keel over. 

Thinking about what WILL happen rather than what Extinction Rebellion say OUGHT to happen is far more constructive in my opinion. 

Important point - the Uk has pretty much offshore the majority of its pollution to China. That's where the manufacturing of all the stuff we consumer happens, but it is our overconsumption that is the driver. Always important to correct the folk who think the Uk accounts for so little, when our consumption accounts for a disproportionately large amount of pollution per head, if considered as a factor of consumption of e.g. Cheap cotton via Primark etc.  That's what the Aral sea has disappeared. 

Edited by Tigerr
  • Greenie 1

I owned a Broom 30 on the Great Ouse. Single engine but no problem with the occasional hop across to Boston or down to Yarmouth and the Broads. Cracking boat & great layout for living aboard but not really suited for the narrow canals in my opinion. If I were to be looking for another one & were thinking of cruising the Thames or any other tidal systems I would only consider twin engines.