Beta 38 require alternative domestic alternator

Twoboxes

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe it is obsolete - but why do you need to replace it like-for-like ?

Any 14.4v 70 amp alternator will do as long as you get the 'right direction of spin' and correct pulley size.

And pulleys can be swapped from one alternator to another. The more difficult is ensuring that the mounting is compatible and the pulley ends up in line with the other pulleys in the system. Things can be done with washers to stack it out.

Jen

If it spins backwards it takes electric out of the battery and makes the engine go faster, which takes more electric till the batteries are flat. (Not really) ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2

The direction of spin is only dictated by the design of the fan and some are dual rotation. The alternator itself will run happily in either direction.

You profile location is hidden so if you tell us where you are located we can probably tell you where to get your alternator repaired.

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And pulleys can be swapped from one alternator to another. The more difficult is ensuring that the mounting is compatible and the pulley ends up in line with the other pulleys in the system. Things can be done with washers to stack it out.

Jen

If it spins backwards it takes electric out of the battery and makes the engine go faster, which takes more electric till the batteries are flat. (Not really) ?

Thanks Jen. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The direction of spin is only dictated by the design of the fan and some are dual rotation. The alternator itself will run happily in either direction.

You profile location is hidden so if you tell us where you are located we can probably tell you where to get your alternator repaired.

What Tony said. Pretty much everything on them can be repaired and most towns of any size should have a little man who fixes them for a very reasonable cost.

Jen

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I'm on the Macc... Marple end 

Good auto electrician under the Albion New  mill on the Leek road out of Macc, Macc Auto Electrics funnily enough.  SK11 7QX    01625 425396

Nothing in Marple as far as I know, one in Bredbury in the industrial estate off Ashton road, and one on Brinksway in Stockport.

Google will be your friend.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

I had the ISKRA 100A alternator on my Beta 38 rebuilt recently. About £80 and ALL the electrical parts and bearings were replaced for that money. And of course it fitted back on the engine perfectly.

Richard

4 hours ago, Ryeland said:

I had the ISKRA 100A alternator on my Beta 38 rebuilt recently. About £80 and ALL the electrical parts and bearings were replaced for that money. And of course it fitted back on the engine perfectly.

Richard

Sounds good... Just need to find a place to do it ASAP 

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The better the business, the less imaginative the name. Often true.

Jen

... and sometimes the converse. A local chap who fitts up and over garage doors was advised to chose somethng memorable for his company name. Hence, "Big Fish".

22 hours ago, Twoboxes said:

I have a iskara aak 3119 14v 70amp.... It's not working now. Where can I get replacement please? Thanks

I have a 20 year old beta engine and both my alternaters have been reconditioned in the last few years.

One done at Nantwich and the other done in Wigan.