What is breaking strain: ground tackle

LadyG

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But it won't come to a dead stop. The anchor line roughly forms a catenary shape prior to the anchor setting, and the catenary being straightened out (along with the stretch in the rope warp) means a rapid deceleration happens, not a dead stop.

Assuming the anchor sets solid, which seems highly unlikely to me. 

I agree with you Mike. Rarely did our anchor stop us dead. I guess Alan's experience was it snagging on a rock or something. Just as likely on a river to hit the point on a plastic bag. Ever tried anchoring with a plastic bag round the end of the anchor? We spent half an hour one sunny afternoon in Sicily setting and resetting the damn thing, till we pulled it out to start again.

I can't see a Danforth stopping a NB when drifting at 3mph with no kit to let the line out at the right speed.

Also, the skipper will be on the helm and likey the anchor at the pointy end with a 60 ft dash in between. No chance to get the anchor deployed in time?

Does that argue to mount the anchor at the back?

Edited by Dr Bob

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Also, the skipper will be on the helm and likey the anchor at the pointy end with a 60 ft dash in between. No chance to get the anchor deployed in time?

The various arguments discussions regarding this point generally suggest securing the warp to the upstream end of the boat and having the anchor close to the steering position.  

• Greenie 2

33 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The various arguments discussions regarding this point generally suggest securing the warp to the upstream end of the boat and having the anchor close to the steering position.  

Wot!

A chain draped across my nice new paintwork!!!

fully agree. I wonder how many do this?

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree with you Mike. Rarely did our anchor stop us dead. I guess Alan's experience was it snagging on a rock or something. Just as likely on a river to hit the point on a plastic bag. Ever tried anchoring with a plastic bag round the end of the anchor? We spent half an hour one sunny afternoon in Sicily setting and resetting the damn thing, till we pulled it out to start again.

I can't see a Danforth stopping a NB when drifting at 3mph with no kit to let the line out at the right speed.

I think I can rig a line from bow deck to stern, and if it's death or die, I 'd try that.

22 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Just a thought, but in a narrowboat, not many would venture onto a river if it was flowing much faster than about 2 to 3 mph.  In fact they tend to close the locks on the river Severn if there is much flow, so you can't go anywhere anyway.  So for inland waterways you may want to size you anchor based on a max speed of say 3mph.  Just something to think about.

yes, in a river situation, have the anchor with helmsman and the rest of the gubbins "up for'ard"

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ya never know !!

How many have thought that as the bitter end shoots over the toe-rail ?

Well, your Anchor point needs to be about 10 tonnes breaking strain. I think,

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Well, your Anchor point needs to be about 10 tonnes breaking strain. I think,

Wotever - but my 4x 10mm Stainless Steel bolts and 8mm thick backing plate on the capstan were not man enough when the Mantus 'set', and we were doing 3 knots+ backwards.

You can understand why you use a bridle (or chain-hook) to take the load and don't just rely on the capstan.

Pic of my Cruiser with a 15kg Bruce anchor and bridle (The cat has the 30kg Mantus)

CAM00009.jpg

23 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Just a thought, but in a narrowboat, not many would venture onto a river if it was flowing much faster than about 2 to 3 mph.  In fact they tend to close the locks on the river Severn if there is much flow, so you can't go anywhere anyway.  So for inland waterways you may want to size you anchor based on a max speed of say 3mph.  Just something to think about.

Yes, but it is always the weakest bit that breaks, and for health and safety, there cannot be bits of metal flying out of control in the boat.