max draft for Peak Forest & Macc

AJR

Featured Posts

Hi all, after some years hiring & then in a share, we're looking at buying this year. We'll be looking at moorings local to us, hopefully on Macc or Peak Forest. Aware from reputation & recent cruise that it's not the deepest! Draft on one boat we're interested in is 28 inches - bit more than most. I know the water levels are likely to vary but anyone got any views on what draft is ok or becomes a consistent nuisance on these canals? I'm trying to find out the draft of the boat we were on a few weeks ago too as a comparison....

Thanks & happy easter!

I'm sure you are aware that the Macc is an unusual shape, cut as a V rather than a bowl, so It's not bad in the middle but very shallow at the edges.  If i remember tomorow, I'll stick a pole down and measure the depth.

At the moment, if you're interested in non-residential farm moorings, there's a space going at the farm where I moor (just south of Congleton).

Thanks for that Arthur!

Congleton is a bit further down from Glossop than we'd prefer but a nice stretch from what I remember & do like the idea of farm moorings. Think we'll look in earnest (or panic) when we're thinking of putting an offer in.

thanks again, Alan

We went the whole length of the Macc, to Bugsworth and then down to Castlefield, two years ago (perhaps 3).

Found a lot of it a bit shallow but we were ok. The boat draws 31 inches under the skeg.

Unless you get a Really deep boat then nothing is impossible, its just gets progressively more difficult (or challenging and fun) as you get deeper. Less places to moor and more chances of tipping over a bit if the level drops, plus the occasional scraping sound in some bridge 'oles.  As long as you can cope with these things then 28 will be fine,.

In the longer term canals are getting shallower, but if everybody gets shallow boats that will get worse, the system needs deeper boats moving about to keep it all navigable.

..............Dave

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm pretty sure Alton has a draught of more than 28 inches, so that would strongly suggest it's not a problem on the Macc or PFC.

More like 36 inches.

There will be a few deep drafted ex working boats travelling the Ashton, Lower Peak and Macclesfield on their way back from the HNBC gathering at Hebden Bridge at the end of May. (Can't  go that way as Marple won't be open in time).

Hi I have not had any major problems on the Peak or the Macc with Daphne which draws just over 30”, I note that CRT intend to dredge the Peak this year. Obviously you will have to check the depth at particular moorings, good luck, Bob

Thanks for the replies- doesn’t sound like it should be any real problem. Did a week on the Brecon & Monmouth a few years ago - felt more like punting at a few points! 

Alan

The bridges tend to be the worst for draught, especially Bridge 20 on the Macc. Unless passing moored boats, keep the throttle open until the bow is in the hole, then go to tickover so that the stern lifts as it reaches the bridge.

we moor at Furness Vale which is a nice pleasant place to be, and an easy drive for you from Glossop. We live towards Mottram and pop over broadbottom to the Chinley road and then through Hayfield to New Mills doesn't take long. Also you have the advantage of easy trips to Bugsworth, Marple, Poynton and Bollington if you fancy a night out for a pint and a meal.

Incidentally our boat draws over two feet and we have very little trouble apart from slowing down for a few bridge holes as previously described