Featured Posts

Hi guys and gals,

I've just finally got around to editing a video I shot in 2007! It involves taking my Dad's boat Kismet on lots of flooded rivers, and then getting trapped in one of the biggest floods on the Avon.

It's an hour long, so best to get comfy, but please enjoy:

YouTube Clicky

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

That looked pretty scary - especially on the Avon. Where were you holed up and how long? How did you know when to set off once more? Evesham Lock (and another?) looked almost impassable with all the debris - so how did you get through?

I know most of the places you passed through but subtitles, even better a commentary, would make it even more fascinating (and stop people like me asking all the obvious questions!)

We were not boat owners again until 2008 but had a 6 week hire in 2007 (40th Wedding anniv) and met the flood mostly up north - one night at Broadreach was, for us, a tad scary - but we also saw floods in Leamington. A useful reminder of just how powerful rivers can become.

We set off once the water was back in the river and not flowing too fast - we know our boat well. We were at Pershore as you can see when the floods came.

We managed to clear debris on the locks where it was small stuff shown on the video. Apparently the Avon Navigation Trust did an amazing job of clearing the Narrowboat stuck on the balance beam at Evesham so they could get their own boats through but luckily the rest of the locks was just small stuff, some moved sand which we flushed out of the way and trees felled which we squeezed past. 

5 hours ago, mykaskin said:

Hi guys and gals,

I've just finally got around to editing a video I shot in 2007! It involves taking my Dad's boat Kismet on lots of flooded rivers, and then getting trapped in one of the biggest floods on the Avon.

It's an hour long, so best to get comfy, but please enjoy:

YouTube Clicky

Cheers,

Mike

I couldn't watch more than a minute due to the constant <5 second cuts. Found it quite stressful to be honest.

Edited by eid

Yeah that’s fair enough. I normally put music to things like this so it covers the edits and makes a montage. However I get slated for putting music on, so you could try adding your own.

if I didn’t edit tight then it would be over two hours long and quite boring too!

Myk

1 hour ago, mykaskin said:

Yeah that’s fair enough. I normally put music to things like this so it covers the edits and makes a montage. However I get slated for putting music on, so you could try adding your own.

if I didn’t edit tight then it would be over two hours long and quite boring too!

Myk

I'm not sure that I agree with the previous adverse comment - it seems to me that with a conventional voice commentary or even a subtitle story it would be just fine. The lack of either draws attention to the cutting which would normally not be noticed so much. But I suspect I am only telling you what you already know - it's your film anyway!

Well I enjoyed it. The lack of music is a huge positive point for me.

I also like the BBC Four programs that have a similar format ie little or no commentary. There was a one hour "Flying Scotsman from the footplate"  program showing a trip on the Severn Valley Railway, and a three hour program on The Ghan which travels from Adelaide to Darwin, the actual trip takes 54 hours.

Just thought I'd comment on Mike's film as there didn't seem much response to the thread.