Atherstone - "children" throwing water balloons

Sally Grim

Featured Posts

I’d rather the they were out carrying out fairly harmless stuff in the open air than bullying each other on line  in their bedrooms, with the intent of causing their peers to kill themselves.

besides I did loads of ‘naughty’ stuff between 8 and 12 before learning, including fireworks, etc, it’s part of a real childhood.  Do minor bad stuff get caught punished and learn not to do it again.

• Greenie 3

The OP said she was hurt by the water bombs. This seems to be being ignored in some posters attempt at appearing "young at heart". Pretty strange behaviour IMO.

ETA: if it happened to me I'd probably suffer no more than a hit to my inflated ego and a rise in blood pressure (I came through Atherstone early this morning so thankfully avoided this tragedy!). But I'm reasonably fit, relatively young.

I do however care about those more vulnerable than myself, and hope the youngsters would leave them be.

Edited by eid

3 minutes ago, eid said:

The OP said she was hurt by the water bombs. This seems to be being ignored in some posters attempt at appearing "young at heart". Pretty strange behaviour IMO.

On the contrary. I offered sympathy and reassurance but I stand by my posts that it was harmless fun and the chances of any permanent injury is slight. 

Unlike the violent punishments suggested by some other folk that are truly abhorrent. 

If the kids had meant any harm they would have perhaps been armed with catapults, ice cubes and tasers. 

I still have no idea what a "bandy slap" is but it doesn't sound very nice. 

11 minutes ago, carlt said:

On the contrary. I offered sympathy and reassurance but I stand by my posts that it was harmless fun and the chances of any permanent injury is slight. 

Unlike the violent punishments suggested by some other folk that are truly abhorrent. 

If the kids had meant any harm they would have perhaps been armed with catapults, ice cubes and tasers. 

I'm confused. How can anything that hurts be considered harmless? O/K, fairly minor on the scale of things but where does one draw the line? 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, carlt said:

I appreciate you may feel aggrieved but there are worse things that can be thrown from bridges and it may ache a bit now but it will feel better soon. 

I recommend Chablis as a reliable anaesthetic. 

21 minutes ago, carlt said:

Is the above your sympathy and reassurance? If so, I read it more like you were trying to minimalise the OP's experience by saying "it could have been worse". Perhaps I'm reading it wrong though. This happens frequently. Or perhaps you didn't express your concern very well. Read the thread again. See what you think.

As for the ice cube and taser suggestions, well....

Edited by eid

2 minutes ago, eid said:

Is the above your sympathy and reassurance? If so, I read it more like you were trying to minimalise the OP's experience by saying "it could have been worse". 

Well... It could have been worse. 

They could have been firing ice cubes from catapults. 

8 minutes ago, Slim said:

I'm confused. How can anything that hurts be considered harmless? O/K, fairly minor on the scale of things but where does one draw the line? 

Okay... Relatively harmless. 

One draws the line at threatening real harm in response to a relatively harmless event. 

Just now, carlt said:

Well... It could have been worse. 

They could have been firing ice cubes from catapults. 

It can always be worse! That doesn't negate someone's experience though or make it less worthy of our consideration and compassion.

If someone says they have been hurt, you should at least take them at their word. In this case, obviously for you or I, a water bomb isn't going to hurt a great deal. That doesn't mean it won't hurt older people. Have you seen how easily they bruise?

Just now, eid said:

It can always be worse! That doesn't negate someone's experience though or make it less worthy of our consideration and compassion.

If someone says they have been hurt, you should at least take them at their word. In this case, obviously for you or I, a water bomb isn't going to hurt a great deal. That doesn't mean it won't hurt older people. Have you seen how easily they bruise?

You misunderstand. 

My consideration and compassion is far more evident in my post than the thuggish responses of those wishing disproportionate retaliation. 

I am not unsympathetic but in the scheme of things I'm not going to set up a just giving page for a minor incident. 

5 minutes ago, carlt said:

You misunderstand. 

My consideration and compassion is far more evident in my post than the thuggish responses of those wishing disproportionate retaliation. 

I am not unsympathetic but in the scheme of things I'm not going to set up a just giving page for a minor incident. 

It's good you understand the younger generation still. So many don't. I'm kind of half way between I suppose. I remember the stuff I did as a teen and it was a lot worse than this. I still feel quite threatened by groups of teens though ?

I'm not sure Frangar and Nut have much self awareness regarding what they type. I mean it's so ridiculous it's not even worth discussing.

Glad you're sympathetic anyway.

3 minutes ago, eid said:

It's good you understand the younger generation still. 

?

Glad you're sympathetic anyway.

Up until 2 years ago I spent my kids' school summer fairs sat on a chair in a daft outfit having Waterbombs thrown at me. 

The kids throw was a lot gentler than the adults...especially the teachers.

It's a relief now my sons are now at high school. 

Apparently they throw wet sponges now so maybe I was a bit tougher than the current victims. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, carlt said:

You misunderstand. 

Sorry but after re-reading the thread I have to revisit this.

It really isn't evident at all. Also, comparing yourself to Frangar and Nut is just an attempt to seem better relatively. If one can only seem compassionate in relation to a pair of angry nut-jobs, then one has lost the argument. ?

Edited by eid
  • Greenie 2

'cording to Trump, the French fire service should have water-bombed Notre Dame to save the roof.

the Fire Service spokesman said it would be like dropping a 3 tonne bomb onto the roof, hitting it at 250km/hr.

...................   just sayin'

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, carlt said:

Up until 2 years ago I spent my kids' school summer fairs sat on a chair in a daft outfit having Waterbombs thrown at me. 

The kids throw was a lot gentler than the adults...especially the teachers.

It's a relief now my sons are now at high school. 

Apparently they throw wet sponges now so maybe I was a bit tougher than the current victims. 

Yes I have had one in the eye like that for the sake of charity. 

6 minutes ago, eid said:

Sorry but after re-reading the thread I have to revisit this.

It really isn't evident at all. Comparing yourself to Frangar and Nut is just an attempt to seem better relatively. If one can only seem compassionate in relation to a pair of angry nut-jobs, then one has lost the argument. ?

I wasn't comparing but they probably think that threatening violent retribution is expressing sympathy. 

I am not claiming gushing sympathy but I believe my response to a minor incident was proportionate. 

When arsonists destroyed my boat a few years ago I offered the same argument to the flog em and hang em brigade back then... I was relieved nobody was injured...including the scrotes who torched the boat. 

I was disappointed that the police could not get justice but, even though I know who did it, I have never sought revenge.

I'm sorry if this isn't sympathetic enough but I didn't cry when I saw Bambi either. 

I think we came under the said bridge just after the OP, got a balloon the size of a tennis ball dropped on me but it didn’t stink of piss so I wasn’t too worried. 

But talking of thrown things to be concerned about.. what’s with all the bags of rubbish on the offside bank lately that are obviously thrown from boats? It’s disgusting, I’d find the culprits and happily chop both their arms off. Then chuck them in too. 

3 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I got a chunk of housebrick dropped on me in Blackburn a few years back and it landed right in my pint mug of tea. That was war, I can tell you.

Which is a terrible thing to happen to a good brew but it does show you drink your brews in a proper big mug, which is only right and proper. 

Unless it was a tiny bit of brick of course

19 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Which is a terrible thing to happen to a good brew but it does show you drink your brews in a proper big mug, which is only right and proper. 

Unless it was a tiny bit of brick of course

A proper big mug is the only way :)
I can't be doing with these teeny little cups that people use; and saucers? What are they all about? Get thesen a mug FFS! bigger the better.

Many years ago we took our kids to see a posh uncle who made us a brew, which was presented in cups with saucers. My lad said in a very loud voice: "Why do they have plates under their cups, dad?" 

1 minute ago, catweasel said:

A proper big mug is the only way :)
I can't be doing with these teeny little cups that people use; and saucers? What are they all about? Get thesen a mug FFS! bigger the better.

Many years ago we took our kids to see a posh uncle who made us a brew, which was presented in cups with saucers. My lad said in a very loud voice: "Why do they have plates under their cups, dad?" 

Another item to add to the list of faux pas while travelling up north. How I'll manage to be friendly and hold a pint-mug of tea is beyond me. I can barely manage the constant hellos as it is.

Maybe I should stop saying "faux pas" and other poncey French stuff too.

Merde.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, eid said:

Another item to add to the list of faux pas while travelling up north. How I'll manage to be friendly and hold a pint-mug of tea is beyond me. I can barely manage the constant hellos as it is.

Maybe I should stop saying "faux pas" and other poncey French stuff too.

Merde.

Don't forget the obligatory flat cap and whippet hound ;)