Two pack blacking

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I did - and lo!  Oddly, it showed on my tablet but I couldn't track it down on the PC.  Then I tried to PM you, spelt the name wrong.... Irritatingly, I was in Willaston and Heswall yesterday and Birkenhead on Monday.  I lived in New Brighton and West Kirby for years.

Where about in West Kirby? We used to live at the top of Lang Lane, opposite the hill. 1959 to 1970 and mum and dad lived there until the early 1990's.

I would never put 2 pack coating on anything with bitumen on it. bitumen is oil based and epoxy just doesn't stick to it. It acts as a great release agent. I did try this many years ago and the bitumen residue made the epoxy go brittle over time, crack and fall off. Technology may have changed this over the years. If you use the boat a lot and it gets scraped often then I would just use bitumen and do it every couple of years. If you are going to be a continuous moorer 2 pack is the way to go as it will not be disolved by oil on the water and not damaged so will last a long time.

15 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Where about in West Kirby? We used to live at the top of Lang Lane, opposite the hill. 1959 to 1970 and mum and dad lived there until the early 1990's.

I lived in South Rd, down the bottom of Banks Rd. My son found the house and insisted I bought it because of the address, which was, uniquely, 35 1/2. Then I lived in Sandlea Mews, which was an old school by Sandlea Park up by the station. I was there from about 1990.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes, you're basically wasting your money if you paint two-pack epoxy over any single-pack paints, especially something "greasy" like bitumen.

As I said I was in two minds about this and will happily report back next time it comes out of the water, good or bad. I am not singing its praiseses and am fully aware of the + &  - points so to say it didn't work wont hurt my pride but I hope to tell you otherwise. 

Please keep us posted, Brian as kelpie is booked in for late September. I realise that that doesn't give long enough for a proper result but if you see signs of good or bad it would be helpful to know. 

Haggis 

My boat is a Liverpool wide beam 2006 build. Had the boat out in 2008 to have the sides up to the rubbing strake shot blasted, lots of mill scale, and then put five coats of two pack on. Had the boat out again in 2014 and all looked very good with just the odd bit around the anodes that had come off, so six years and all was well, put two more coat of two pack on just because it was out anyway.

• 3 years later...

Kelpie has now been pressure washed ( with  extremely strong pressure ) an treated with two pack twice at Northwich .  When she was pressure washed the second time the hull and base plate were in exactly the same condition as they were after the first treatment some two years earlier.  I think it depends on the strength of the pressure washing ,