Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
cornishdave

Four Counties Ring advice

Featured Posts

Hi all,
After your invaluable help last year I thought I'd try again... ?

We (6 of us, mixed ages from 21 to 50s) are heading out on the four counties ring late August and I'm hoping for some advice on pubs etc. We're going anti-clockwise staying at Autherley Junction.
 As we managed the Warwickshire ring last year (long way via north Stratford and included a detour through the Braunston tunnel and back) I'm not too concerned about time or a couple of long days.
We're not too fussed on posh/gastro food, just decent pub food.
Anyway, what I've come up with so far is this:

Night 1 - Penkridge (choice of several so happy to pick when we get there)
Night 2 - Sandon(ish) either Dog and Double or go couple more bridges to Greyhound
Night 3 - Westport Lakes, couldn't see much so probably pick up a chippy on way through and eat/drink onboard
Night 4 - Wheelock (few options including Cheshire Cheese)
Night 5 - Barbridge junction, Barbridge Inn
Night 6 - Market Drayton visitor moorings, possibly The Talbot
Night 7 - Brewood,  Bridge Inn

Does this look about right?
Huge thanks
Dave

Think you may struggle with The Talbot at Mkt Drayton. I drove past before Christmas and it was being rebuilt, possibly housing? There is plenty of choice elsewhere in Drayton including a 'Spoons.

I would head for the Red Lion in Market Drayton, good beer and good food.

The Dog and Doublet is always quite busy and hard to get a table unless you have booked, we have been to the Holly Bush at Salt which is just a short walk from the canal along a lane from Bridge 82.

Edited by Rob-M
Add bridge number

Perhaps I've just been particularly unlucky, but I've only once managed to bag a mooring in Penkridge and it was close to midday and wasn't in the school holidays.  By the look of your itinerary, you're going to be arriving everywhere relatively late so you may wish to consider alternatives. 

Day three stop at Etruria and go down the road to the Holy Inadequate great beer but only porkpie to eat, but you can visit the Toby Carvery first for food. Wheelock well worth getting a bus or taxi into Sandbach. The beer emporium has some great beers but closes early check out their facebook page or website. Wetherspoons nearby does food til late. Last bus back is quite late.

Dunno Sandon(ish). 

Never seen reason to stay at Barbridge. 

Wheelock pretty but only 1 pub now. As you say the Cheshire  cheese. Ok pub. Small and friendly. 

Best place was the hotel (commecial?) but thats shut down. 

Surpised you haven’t thought of Stone, it’s a cracking place to stop. 

Plenty at Rugely too.  

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Dunno Sandon(ish). 

Never seen reason to stay at Barbridge. 

Wheelock pretty but only 1 pub now. As you say the Cheshire  cheese. Ok pub. Small and friendly. 

Best place was the hotel (commecial?) but thats shut down. 

Surpised you haven’t thought of Stone, it’s a cracking place to stop. 

Plenty at Rugely too.  

Did you mean Rugeley...?  If so that isn't on the Four Counties ring.

Yes, I agree if you like a decent pint Stone is a great stop. With Limestone's brewery tap(The Bore Hole) , a Titanic pub (The Royal Exchange) and the Swan at the bottom of the locks (if you are a member, don't forget to ask for CAMRA discount) and it's a good place to shop

11 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Did you mean Rugeley...?  If so that isn't on the Four Counties ring.

Yes I meant Rugeley. 

You’re right. I was thinking it was north of great Haywood but it’s not, it’s south.