Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
LadyG

I don't understand : publicly available electrc points for electric cars

Featured Posts

As per title,

I don't understand electric points for cars, there is one, and only one, locally, I think it takes two vehicles, but a bit like Boris Bikes, what happens if you find there is no available place for your vehicle. What do you do then? 

Who paid for these "fuelling points" presumably the cost will be re-couped over many years.

A unit of domestic leccy is about 15p, commercial "rates" are very much less.  So there is a fair bit left for infrastructure and profit. Once everyone becomes reliant on leccy points there will be no end to price hikes!

Anyone remember  the "Rabbit System" for "mobile communications", or "Mercury" telephone boxes, or even "Telephone Boxes"!

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

what happens if you find there is no available place for your vehicle. What do you do then? 

Wait

Who paid for these "fuelling points" presumably the cost will be re-couped over many years.

Holyrood

A unit of domestic leccy is about 15p, commercial "rates" are very much less.  So there is a fair bit left for infrastructure and profit. Once everyone becomes reliant on leccy points there will be no end to price hikes!

I think at the moment most of then in Scotland are still free to use - unlike in England 

Anyone remember  the "Rabbit System" for "mobile communications", or "Mercury" telephone boxes, or even "Telephone Boxes"!

For the most part no - but I do remember phoneboxes..... the red things from the Harry Potter films?

These links will help you greatly. 

https://www.zap-map.com

https://www.speakev.com

And look up Fully Charged on youtube. 

Obviously there are commercial points at shops and tourist places like hotels and restaurants that will still 'charge' you. 

Edited by Tumshie

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They are funded by "The Climate Initiative" grants that were set up to encourage us all to switch to electric cars.

As a further incentive, during the next parliamentary session, a law will be passed enabling electric car owners to go to any household in the UK and demand their right to plug their car in for 2 hours.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, carlt said:

As a further incentive, during the next parliamentary session, a law will be passed enabling electric car owners to go to any household in the UK and demand their right to plug their car in for 2 hours.

And that doesn't sound really click baity 

There is also a guy on youtube called "lemon tea leaf" who has a channel that will either bore you to tears or completely fascinate you; it is ALL about his Nissan Leaf and how he copes with using it on his longer distance journeys that he does very regularly. 

Edited by Tumshie

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Anyone remember  the "Rabbit System"

No personal experience but I did read somewhere that the batteries did not last very long.

No choice of ring or vibrate - vibrate only.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No personal experience but I did read somewhere that the batteries did not last very long.

No choice of ring or vibrate - vibrate only.

?

And the other Rabbit from the early 90s struggled to hand off between [the relatively few] base stations, meaning it worked as a mobile device only if you were walking.  Still, it was an evolutionary step toward the iphone.

26 minutes ago, carlt said:

[snip]

is that true?  that is practically expropriation of private property.  [The only car I own runs on batteries.]

I would support a scheme were households put up a sign indicating they are happy to let you charge for an emergency.

• Greenie 1

I would support a scheme which gave me free electricity.

Can I take my batteries there for re-charging. I don't see any difference I'm saving fossil fuel ............... oh, wait ................... is that really true?

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

is that true?  that is practically expropriation of private property.  [The only car I own runs on batteries.]

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

............... oh, wait ................... is that really true?

No it is a complete fabrication...Sorry!

16 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

is that true?  that is practically expropriation of private property.

Can you find any evidence for it ? ?

16 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

I would support a scheme were households put up a sign indicating they are happy to let you charge for an emergency.

That part is true and already exists - it is though completely voluntary. 

Edited by Tumshie

There are near on forty million vehicles on the UK roads. The local town has two leccy power points and only ten miles up the road is an M40 service station with maybe 4 or so. Nearly sorted then innitt.

16,000 at the moment and increasing, of course the idea is you charge at home on off peak lecce

How would I charge my electric car from the boat overnight?

Can I be asked to charge someone's car for them free gratis off my boat?

Is there any sense in all this??

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

16,000 at the moment and increasing, of course the idea is you charge at home on off peak lecce

Wow, thats handy Peter innitt. There are 45,000 towns and villages with 66 million inhabitants and 40 million vehicles. I am dashing out to buy my nissan leaf as we speak ?

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Wow, thats handy Peter innitt. There are 45,000 towns and villages with 66 million inhabitants and 40 million vehicles. I am dashing out to buy my nissan leaf as we speak ?

To then wait in the queue to charge it up?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

To then wait in the queue to charge it up?

Its not that I dont think they are a good idea but we are light years away from replacing i.c.e in reality.

I think they should stretch chicken wire an posts over roads and cars and lorries could have a pole sticking out the top with a wire in the road and a bit of dangly wire on the bottom of the car like what dodgems have. I think I need a lie down now, inventing is hard work. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think they should stretch chicken wire an posts over roads and cars and lorries could have a pole sticking out the top with a wire in the road and a bit of dangly wire on the bottom of the car like what dodgems have. I think I need a lie down now, inventing is hard work. 

Not a million miles away.

Inductive chargers beneath the road are already being trialled on a Paris test track (but are years away from being installed on public roads).

1 hour ago, carlt said:

Not a million miles away.

Inductive chargers beneath the road are already being trialled on a Paris test track (but are years away from being installed on public roads).

They will melt your shoes.

This test track is it any where near Notra Dame? Just wondering......................

• Greenie 1

Sam, no

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Trolley buses.

5 hours ago, Tumshie said:

There is also a guy on youtube called "lemon tea leaf" who has a channel that will either bore you to tears or completely fascinate you; it is ALL about his Nissan Leaf and how he copes with using it on his longer distance journeys that he does very regularly. 

but why not buy an ordinary car?

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

but why not buy an ordinary car?

I don't know I never asked him. ?

I find it interesting that when placing the charging points they assume all drivers of electric cars are disabled.   Well they must think that as they always seem to remove handicapped parking and put the charging points nearest the entry to the building.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I find it interesting that when placing the charging points they assume all drivers of electric cars are disabled.   Well they must think that as they always seem to remove handicapped parking and put the charging points nearest the entry to the building.

Simple economics,it's quite costly to lay the cables!!??