Boat share question

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

This is currently looking to be the best option available, 3 owners with 3 months of usable time each or even two owners split 50/50 would suite my needs very well and help a lot with costs

Like I mentioned I had never considered sharing but under the right circumstances this would be the best (share)option for me. So I strongly suggest exploring this, put your thoughts together and then see if you can find some people.

It might be that there are people who will do this with you but just aren't considering it because they don't know it's an option open to them. 

I've decided to just keep saving and buy my own or I might have considered this too. 

6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

You also need to look at the licensing and BSS standards with a "Share Boat" as I am sure that you will be required to meet the hire boat standards.

No- I already posted about that (if not in this one, then it was one of the multiple other threads started by the OP on the same subject)

It only requires a 'commercial' licence and BSS if it is a 'managed' syndicate.

Multiple owners managing their own boat is still 'private'.

Edit - it was this one (just goes to show the problems when multiple threads are started  

Edited by Alan de Enfield

29 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Thanks Alan, I've just found the other threads on the same subject.
Perhaps the Mods could amalgamate the threads?

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have reported the thread and requested this earlier today.

And I've tried twice and still nothing has happened. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Hi again,

Simular to my earlier thread on boat sharing I am considering boat share options having seen boat management companies operating 1/12 boat shares. As I am living overseas and planning to return to UK for several months per year these options are limited in use to me as they are aimed at each owner taking several short breaks per year whereas I would need a boat in one block of time to suite my travel plans. Is it appropriate and within the form rules to seek potential boat share partners on this site ?

Just throwing out an idea as myself and my wife live in a comfortable apartment here in Bangkok would it be worth exploring a time swap with existing boat owners who may consider a couple of months a year in Thailand as a reasonable trade for using their boat during the same period.

Cheers Mick

Hi Mike,

Your post has interested me, I have a much-loved 60ft NB, built in 2009, which is obviously the best boat on the cut! I also travel a lot, the last few years I have spent exploring Asia. 

I think it would be worth having an exploratory conversation, would you like to PM me.

Cheers

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mick one boat I know of only has 6 shares, The Black Swan. I dont know if its still a managed boat or DIY

Black Swan is self managed and at the last report was based at Cropredy marina. She was built for Ownerships but is now self managed.

http://www.boatshare4u.co.uk/

Look under the tab Questions answered, List of Boats to see the majority of shared boats, both self managed and Managed, but it doesn't show whether there are shares for sale in a particular boat.

Howard

In the early days of shared ownership, Narrowcrsaft of Alvecote did boats with 4 shares, but it never caught on. Presumably because most people who are working don't get enough holiday, and retired people could run a whole boat for similar annual costs.

Probably the best thing the OP could do is advertise his requirements for like minded people on the Boatshare website and waterways magazines and then take it from there.

The group can then decide to buy new or seconhand, type of stern, preferred layout & toilet etc. Probably not an easy task in my opinion.

18 hours ago, cuthound said:

In the early days of shared ownership, Narrowcrsaft of Alvecote did boats with 4 shares, but it never caught on. Presumably because most people who are working don't get enough holiday, and retired people could run a whole boat for similar annual costs.

Probably the best thing the OP could do is advertise his requirements for like minded people on the Boatshare website and waterways magazines and then take it from there.

The group can then decide to buy new or seconhand, type of stern, preferred layout & toilet etc. Probably not an easy task in my opinion. 

Yes I can see the logic in this, will plan along these lines.

On 17/04/2019 at 16:26, cuthound said:

Indeed not.

In eleven years with Ownerships I never once attended an annual owners meeting - far easier to leave the other 11 couples to argue amongst themselves. After all they couldn't make any decision which I wasn't content to accept as a done deal. Going along with some of the ideas, if I were actually present would have been another thing altogether.

9 hours ago, frahkn said:

Indeed not.

In eleven years with Ownerships I never once attended an annual owners meeting - far easier to leave the other 11 couples to argue amongst themselves. After all they couldn't make any decision which I wasn't content to accept as a done deal. Going along with some of the ideas, if I were actually present would have been another thing altogether.

For those contemplating a share boat (and I( am not sure how significant a market it really is, other than for drawing in people for whom it is not suitable) it would be helpful to know what sort of decisions were made that you would have had issue with had you been present. In other words, what should sleeping partners be on the look out for that might leave them at an especial disadvantage?

9 hours ago, frahkn said:

Indeed not.

What you describe is more like the attitude of a hire boater rather than someone who shares a boat. Do you think the other 11 owners were arguing, rather than exchanging ideas and then coming to a democratic decision- I bet they were more likely to be having a friendly exchange of views and learning from each other.  I would think you may have missed out on getting the best for your shared boat, and just maybe you may have been able to educate your fellow owners in areas where their knowledge was light? I wonder what sort of boat you would have ended up with if the other 11 owners applied the same philosophy. 

Howard

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, howardang said:

What you describe is more like the attitude of a hire boater rather than someone who shares a boat. Do you think the other 11 owners were arguing, rather than exchanging ideas and then coming to a democratic decision- I bet they were more likely to be having a friendly exchange of views and learning from each other.  I would think you may have missed out on getting the best for your shared boat, and just maybe you may have been able to educate your fellow owners in areas where their knowledge was light? I wonder what sort of boat you would have ended up with if the other 11 owners applied the same philosophy. 

Howard

Indeed, I had share boats for 23 years and in that time must have had around 35 fellow shareholders. Only one who was obnoxious (Not Frahkn, who always sent a note to the chairman of the annual meetings saying he would go with the majority and gave his share to the rest of the group rather than selling it, which helped pay for a new engine).

I learnt a great deal about boat maintenance and which boatyards are good or useless, which came in handy when I got to own a whole boat.

I also met several great people who i now call friends.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification & spillung
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, howardang said:

Howard

Strangely enough I tend to agree with your first sentence. It was a bit like that, at least to the extent that I strongly feel that the 11 ownership years did little to equip me for owning my own boat.

As for the rest, I had a profession which largely involved arguing intensive discussion with people. I did not feel the need to continue, over trivialities, in my spare time. Anyway, I suspect that I am not much of a people person, somehow "be seeing you" is a much happier phrase than "hello again".

Different strokes - as they say.?

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

For those contemplating a share boat (and I( am not sure how significant a market it really is, other than for drawing in people for whom it is not suitable) it would be helpful to know what sort of decisions were made that you would have had issue with had you been present. In other words, what should sleeping partners be on the look out for that might leave them at an especial disadvantage?

It's just me - an idiosyncrasy if you like - but I am really uncomfortable with debating trivial issues. I certainly had no personal issues with my fellow owners, I only met them once (at the launch) and never saw any of them again. As far as I was concerned there was 11 of them, paying 11/12ths of the cost of any idea (demented or not) they came up with - who was I to argue about my remaining 12th. Why would I bother?

Most owners would not wish to be a 'sleeping partner', why should they.

4 hours ago, frahkn said:

It's just me - an idiosyncrasy if you like - but I am really uncomfortable with debating trivial issues. I certainly had no personal issues with my fellow owners, I only met them once (at the launch) and never saw any of them again. As far as I was concerned there was 11 of them, paying 11/12ths of the cost of any idea (demented or not) they came up with - who was I to argue about my remaining 12th. Why would I bother?

Most owners would not wish to be a 'sleeping partner', why should they.

Even as boat owners, having to sort problems as they arise, we'd much rather it just 'all worked' and we could be a sleeping partner, at least with ourselves. (This idiom could easily go all wrong . . . )

But your experience does, if nothing else, remind potential sharers that they need to check out their compatibility with the ethos of the group as it is not necessarily the same as hiring a boat where you have no connection at all with the people on board last week. This is perhaps - I'm speculating - stronger when buying into an existing group but, as you say, still important (and in some way perhaps more intense) when setting up a new group where many more 'real' decisions have to be made in the early days. Your experience is just as important to those considering sharing as those from folk who are the clubbable sort - although I must say that the canal experience is much more for those who are content and self sufficient in themselves. But there are all sorts of situations and each person has to find the one that suits them. Sounds like you have!

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Even as boat owners, having to sort problems as they arise, we'd much rather it just 'all worked' and we could be a sleeping partner, at least with ourselves. (This idiom could easily go all wrong . . . )

But your experience does, if nothing else, remind potential sharers that they need to check out their compatibility with the ethos of the group as it is not necessarily the same as hiring a boat where you have no connection at all with the people on board last week. This is perhaps - I'm speculating - stronger when buying into an existing group but, as you say, still important (and in some way perhaps more intense) when setting up a new group where many more 'real' decisions have to be made in the early days. Your experience is just as important to those considering sharing as those from folk who are the clubbable sort - although I must say that the canal experience is much more for those who are content and self sufficient in themselves. But there are all sorts of situations and each person has to find the one that suits them. Sounds like you have!

Easier said than done.

Most people either buy a share in a new boat, in which case you don't get to meet the other shareholders until the boat is launched, or buy a share in a second hand boat.

In the case of the latter, if the share is in a managed boat, then the first time the new shareholder will meet the others is at the annual meeting, as the management team manage the sale and purchase of shares.

Only in shareboats that are self managed (and these are very much in the minority) will the new shareholder be given an opportunity to meet the others.

Indeed in many self managed share boats, the existing shareholders will "vet" the person wanting to buy the share to assess his compatibility with the extant group.

• Happy 1