Slowing down for moored boats, corners, bridges etc.

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

If travelling quickly and I see some moored boats immediately  the other side of a bridge I go full astern to slow down before the bridge and then go through the bridge and pass moored boats at tickover.

I don't understand why I get funny looks as I pass the boats as I did slow down ;)

15 hours ago, haggis said:

You didn't expect me to use a real photo did you? No one else does ?

I'm disappointed with such trickery.  I accepted it was indeed real - just cos there's only 2 legs now doesn't mean there wasn't more originally.  Surely were not saying that my avatar isn't a real sea dog just because it doesn't have 4 legs? :P

Edited by Sea Dog
Sp

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I do, too.

Is that your actual fingerprint then?  Someone might print it off, cut it out and leave it at a crime scene.  Added to a similar print of your old hoodie avatar I reckon you'd be banged to right quick as, guvnor! :ninja:

On 19/04/2019 at 08:30, The Welsh Cruiser said:

This happened to me last year. There was a couple coming up the lock, I was on my own. I usually walk ahead to help but as there was already one person on the boat, and one operating the lock, which is sufficient for efficient operation, I decided to make a cup of tea. Tea done, see them at the top, I untied and my boat drifted forward as they came out of the lock. As the boat cleared the lock the bloke closed the gate.

The point here is that if I had helped it would have made very little difference to them. He went to extra trouble for both of us to make a point. Not a reasonable point. If my help would have assisted i.e. they'd been single handed I would have helped, and been pleased to do so.

I gave the bloke a serious piece of my mind as he passed but if he didn't hear me, because of his engine, and happens to be reading this: you're a childish, petty, selfish individual. Maybe see you around sometime.    

I haven't (yet) had that, but I did wonder last week whether my lack of help as a single hander upset a crewed boat who blanked me when they passed - which is the only time I've so far experienced another boater appear to deliberately ignore me. The thing is, my standard practice as a single hander is not to tie up at all - I like to be quick and efficient in the locks and the way to do that is to ignore the lock landings and use the throats of the locks to hold the boat instead whilst working the lock (when the boat isn't in the lock) - I've now got confident enough that I don't even use ropes at all in narrow locks. So approaching a lock which was in use by a crewed boat with the boat already in the lock I didn't feel I could contribute much and stayed on my boat holding it in position waiting in the cut rather than tying up at the LL (as I don't use LLs). I also found it a bit irritating how slow they were, with the crew tickling the paddles up (when they had somebody on the boat driving it and I didn't find it a problem whacking the paddles up in that lock when I used it single handed), but then they're allowed to use the lock how they want when their boat is in it - rather more irritating was the ponderously slow lowering of paddles when the gate was open with the boat still in the lock - the boat remaining in the lock until the crew had finished (if they couldn't use the vacant lock landing to pick the crew up when they'd finished given they were clearly in no hurry, I'd much rather they just left the paddles for me to put down rather quicker myself!) I'm now wondering if that was also deliberate to make some sort of point to the single hander who preferred to stay on his boat...

FWIW I do help other boaters operate locks if I feel it will help and they want the assistance, even when (as usual) I am single handing.

• Greenie 1