Slowing down for moored boats, corners, bridges etc.

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Thus spake Zarathustra.  

Wot?

To what, or whom, does this refer, apart from a rare CWDF name check for Nietzsche? Do debaffle us (and if that isn't a word, it damn' well should be).

Edited by Athy

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

Do you not feel that boaters helping each other engenders a pleasant, friendly atmosphere on our waterways?

The problem, as we have seen time and time before in previous discussions, is that one persons view of "help" can sometimes be perceived as hindrance by the person being "helped".

Many people on CWDF, (myself largely included), who have developed efficient ways of working either with a known crew or single handedly and actually see locks as a main part of the pleasure, (not the chore that many seem to think they are), have regularly indicated they would rather be left alone to get on with it, than to get "assistance" that deviates from how they would themselves have done it.

(Incidentally that just about sums up the issue with many volunteer lock keepers, particularly those who have a prescribed view f how things "should be done", and assume anybody who desn't share that must be wrong.)

My preference not to be "helped" doesn't make me unfriendly or unpleasant.  I'll happily chat to you if you are waiting to use the lock, and you'll not find me aloof in any way, but before you wind paddles, (or open the gate I was just expecting to cross back across!), please ask!

If anybody, (volunteer, other boater, or just bloke on tow-path with own windlass), really wants to help, please go and set up the next lock for us, and let us work the one we are currently working!

• Greenie 3

This happened to me last year. There was a couple coming up the lock, I was on my own. I usually walk ahead to help but as there was already one person on the boat, and one operating the lock, which is sufficient for efficient operation, I decided to make a cup of tea. Tea done, see them at the top, I untied and my boat drifted forward as they came out of the lock. As the boat cleared the lock the bloke closed the gate.

The point here is that if I had helped it would have made very little difference to them. He went to extra trouble for both of us to make a point. Not a reasonable point. If my help would have assisted i.e. they'd been single handed I would have helped, and been pleased to do so.

I gave the bloke a serious piece of my mind as he passed but if he didn't hear me, because of his engine, and happens to be reading this: you're a childish, petty, selfish individual. Maybe see you around sometime.    

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I gave the bloke a serious piece of my mind as he passed but if he didn't hear me, because of his engine, and happens to be reading this: you're a childish, petty, selfish individual. Maybe see you around sometime.    

I sense that I said most of that and got warned for it.

It was exactly that sort of reaction between boaters that I said was possible in the circumstance.

Nurse !!! Take me home !!

52 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

This happened to me last year. There was a couple coming up the lock, I was on my own. I usually walk ahead to help but as there was already one person on the boat, and one operating the lock, which is sufficient for efficient operation, I decided to make a cup of tea. Tea done, see them at the top, I untied and my boat drifted forward as they came out of the lock. As the boat cleared the lock the bloke closed the gate.

The point here is that if I had helped it would have made very little difference to them. He went to extra trouble for both of us to make a point. Not a reasonable point. If my help would have assisted i.e. they'd been single handed I would have helped, and been pleased to do so.

That is a different thing for me, if you are moving obviously I'd leave the gate open.

10 hours ago, frahkn said:

Well that's a view.

An alternative view is that no crew on the lock side indicates a lack of interest in using the lock. It takes us 3+ minutes to negotiate a lock, if no one has appeared by then I will close the gate.

If the crew of the other boat are variously employed making tea and/or moving their bowels, who am I to hurry them in their pursuits?

Remember I'm not wasting water, I'm just leaving them with a gate to open, a gate they would have to open if I was not there at all. Which, as far as personal interaction is concerned, they have treated as being the case in the first place.

By the way, Haggis has done too much for the boating community to be abused by some (admittedly not you) on this forum.

Of course, one of the consequences of the growth in allowing anonymous posting to social media is that such connections are much harder to make. Me, I'd make it illegal to have anonymous or untraceable accounts on social media, but then I'm perhaps 'old school' and believe that people should have to defend their stated views, not be allowed just to stir up the waters with no personal consequence.

16 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Of course, one of the consequences of the growth in allowing anonymous posting to social media is that such connections are much harder to make. Me, I'd make it illegal to have anonymous or untraceable accounts on social media, but then I'm perhaps 'old school' and believe that people should have to defend their stated views, not be allowed just to stir up the waters with no personal consequence.

....and you put your money where your mouth is by using your real name on here. Many people use noms-de-plume, including myself, though I make little secret of my real name. Do you think that everybody on CWDF should post under their real name? I believe that Face Book has such a rule.

40 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

You don't have to stir up waters to suffer personal consequences - More than one woman has been brutally assaulted or murdered because a man with a horribly skewed perception of reality has found out where she lives. 

I for one would no longer be able to post on any forum where I had to disclose my true identity to the public. 

• Greenie 3

37 minutes ago, Athy said:

....and you put your money where your mouth is by using your real name on here. Many people use noms-de-plume, including myself, though I make little secret of my real name. Do you think that everybody on CWDF should post under their real name? I believe that Face Book has such a rule.

I think my real name is known by a lot of people on here but I stopped using it when I was sexually targeted on line. I chose Haggis as it doesn't indicate that I am female. 

Haggis 

• Greenie 4

3 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Most of us are quite happy to display our name on our boat.  In large letters.

And I suspect that most of you can do so with out any threat to your person not all of us are so lucky. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Most of us are quite happy to display our name on our boat.  In large letters.

Earl3.jpg

But see what you get - Engelbert Humperdinck visiting unexpectedly.

I include the name of my boat and Frank only became frahkn due to finger problems when I first registered.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

And I suspect that most of you can do so with out any threat to your person not all of us are so lucky. 

I appreciate that there are warped people everywhere.  A sad world we live in.

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Because setting a good example is, in many people's eyes, better than setting a bad one. I did not suggest that I was "entitled to it", as you put it.  Do you not feel that boaters helping each other engenders a pleasant, friendly atmosphere on our waterways?

I wasn't suggesting setting a bad one instead. Rather I was questioning, or asking you to question, whether we all have to be on "good" behaviour, no matter what our needs may be at that moment, because someone else doesn't have the wisdom to know that people have bad days (or circumstances which preclude being a sociable happily grinning (hello!) boater! <end of rant>

I feel that calling people pathetic when they're not behaving in a way which you desire suggests a high level of entitlement.

Of course helping each other creates a nice atmosphere. I would just ask people to extend their sense of community to allowing people to be how they need to be. Live and let live as they say. We could certainly use more of that in this world.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Thank you Mr.Cruiser, it is informative to see such a situation from the other person's point of view.

I see my rant was unnecessary ?

Edited by eid

3 hours ago, haggis said:

I think my real name is known by a lot of people on here but I stopped using it when I was sexually targeted on line. I chose Haggis as it doesn't indicate that I am female. 

Haggis 

I use mine because everybody remembers me from some old TV programme, and I've been dead for years. 

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If anybody, (volunteer, other boater, or just bloke on tow-path with own windlass), really wants to help, please go and set up the next lock for us, and let us work the one we are currently working!

Everything you say Alan is spot on, but this especially, sums it up!!

4 hours ago, haggis said:

Haggis 

Does that mean your right leg is shorter than the left so you can run round the side of a mountain the other way from the male haggis

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Does that mean your right leg is shorter than the left so you can run round the side of a mountain the other way from the male haggis

I have, like all haggii, got four legs and yes my right ones are shorter than my left ones to aid my escape from male haggii with evil intent. 

Haggis 

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

I have, like all haggii, got four legs and yes my right ones are shorter than my left ones to aid my escape from male haggii with evil intent. 

Haggis 

I can only see two in your photo.....