Slowing down for moored boats, corners, bridges etc.

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Poor logic there. Surely you should be able to stop in HALF the distance you can see to be clear.

Yes I often think this too, but your point will be lost on several here, I suspect...

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

I pass moored boats on just above tickover but if they are on pins it's down to tickover.

While we're on a 'grumpy' thread, something that p*ss me off are those coming from the opposite direction who when waiting on a lock landing just stand and watch instead of coming and 'mucking in'. I know they aren't obliged to, but most boaters help each other when working through a lock. Yesterday a crew of 4 on a waiting boat just stood and watched my wife struggle with some stiff paddles. 

So we deliberately took our time so as to keep them waiting longer.

I am sorry to say this is the attitude now of newby boat owners. At a lock yesterday with two full boats at the bottom of the lock and two behind us we told the bod on the way up to hop on his boat so he could get on his way, he looked shocked and thanked us. We entered the lock as he left and did every paddle and gate completely unassisted by the three lots of other boaters who waited till we exited the lock before showing any interest. We are fairly new ourselves as we have only lived aboard for thirty years, not a lifetime. but for sure in our earlier years absolutely every body mucked in and chatted to each other. I suppose unadulterated crap like farcebook has now taken over their little brains.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's usually possible to stand at a respectable distance, windlass in hand, ready to help if needed. All it takes is a bit of consideration and (shock horror!) actually talking to folk. There's no need to offer help directly straight away, but the lock "belongs" to whoever is at the helm of the boat using it.

Precisely.

I have been known to close a lock gate when we leave if the younger fitter folk on the waiting boat just watched me. When they say/shout that they are coming into the lock I smile sweetly and say "oh, I ? you had moored up for lunch" and I still shut the gate. 

Oh I am naughty doing that ?but it might make them think a bit about locking 

Haggis 

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But that makes the assumption that the approaching vehicle is doing exactly the same speed as you are.

Which is highly likely when it first comes into view, Shirley...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But that makes the assumption that the approaching vehicle is doing exactly the same speed as you are.

and the driver has the same reaction time.  And braking capability.  And six other things the proper physics masters will set out...

On 16/04/2019 at 20:13, howardang said:

While there sometimes is a lack, either of good manners, or an ignorance of good "boatmanship" I don't think their is a need to get worked up about passing boats. If you ate moored securely a passing boat, even with excessive speed, should not cause more than a momentary irritation. There is absolutely no need to get uptight about it.. Just sit back and wallow in the fact that you know better!

Howard

Not so, I have an end of garden mooring with 4 bollards and use spring lines.

Most passing boats don't move my boat at all, but occasionally a boat goes past so fast that they suck all of the water from under my boat, which results in a violent up and down movement and a scraping noise as my boat hits the bottom.

I have moored here for 5 years and with each passing year the number of boats failing to slow down enough increases. I think it reflects the general increasing lack of proper boating knowledge and etiquette that is slowly increasing over the years.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I think it reflects the general increasing lack of proper boating knowledge and etiquette that is slowly increasing over the years.

This was inevitable ever since the canals became a playground.  You will just have to live with it.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is to misunderstand the complaints levelled at vollies. Nothing wrong with one of those four crew ambling down to ask Grassman's wife if she wanted a hand with the stiff paddle. 

The problem is the vollies who DON'T ask, and just barge in to operate the lock with no discussion or agreement with the boater(s) concerned. Similarly crews from other boats who just start operating paddles etc without checking with the boat/boater in the lock if this is ok.

Yes, exact;y.I like to help out at locks if there's a queue,  but before touching the paddle gear I always raise or wave my windlass in the direction of th steerer. I don't procewd until I get an acknowledgement back from the steerer.

I can't remember ever being asked not to help, though it may have happened in the past.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I am sorry to say this is the attitude now of newby boat owners. At a lock yesterday with two full boats at the bottom of the lock and two behind us we told the bod on the way up to hop on his boat so he could get on his way, he looked shocked and thanked us. We entered the lock as he left and did every paddle and gate completely unassisted by the three lots of other boaters who waited till we exited the lock before showing any interest.

I think you're being grossly unfair here.

Newbie boaters tend to be very unsure of themselves, often don't know the etiquette and consequently wary of 'doing it wrong'. So in their position it seems safer to stand back and wait and observe what happens, rather than to approach an obviously experienced boater like you and try to 'help' when you obviously don't need it. 

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I have been known to close a lock gate when we leave if the younger fitter folk on the waiting boat just watched me. When they say/shout that they are coming into the lock I smile sweetly and say "oh, I ? you had moored up for lunch" and I still shut the gate. 

Haggis 

What a childish and petulant thing to do. Consider how you would feel if they did it to you.

I suppose that you assume as a woman you can get away with being unpleasant without getting a smack. Despicable behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

What a childish and petulant thing to do. Consider how you would feel if they did it to you.

I suppose that you assume as a woman you can get away with being unpleasant without getting a smack. Despicable behaviour.

Some might suggest that suggesting that ladies deserved to get a smack was not the apex of decent behaviour either. I'm sure that you didn't mean it to come out in that way.

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you're being grossly unfair here.

Newbie boaters tend to be very unsure of themselves, often don't know the etiquette and consequently wary of 'doing it wrong'. So in their position it seems safer to stand back and wait and observe what happens, rather than to approach an obviously experienced boater like you and try to 'help' when you obviously don't need it. 

I hadnt thought of it like that. But?

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Some might suggest that suggesting that ladies deserved to get a smack was not the apex of decent behaviour either. I'm sure that you didn't mean it to come out in that way.

Of course not, there are much better things to do with women.

I was inferring that a male doing such a nasty thing would be risking a smack for some of the more aggressive  boaters on the cut, male and female. I find female aggressive behaviour more difficult to ignore than a stupid drunk male, Males are at a disadvantage both in law and morally.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Not so, I have an end of garden mooring with 4 bollards and use spring lines.

Most passing boats don't move my boat at all, but occasionally a boat goes past so fast that they suck all of the water from under my boat, which results in a violent up and down movement and a scraping noise as my boat hits the bottom.

I have moored here for 5 years and with each passing year the number of boats failing to slow down enough increases. I think it reflects the general increasing lack of proper boating knowledge and etiquette that is slowly increasing over the years.

Of course there may be the  occasional exceptions, but as you mention, most passing boats don't move your boat at all, which you would expect with a properly moored boat. However, you do mention that the number of boats failing to slow down enough increases with each passing year. I presume that you have taken into account that the under keep clearance may have decreased in the 5 years or so that you have moored there because of increased silting, or have you checked the depth to make sure it is still the same? If it has silted up slightly, it may reflect a reduction in the under keel clearance of your boat which may cause you to ground whereas you didn't in the past.  Just a thought. ?

Howard 

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, howardang said:

Of course there may be the  occasional exceptions, but as you mention, most passing boats don't move your boat at all, which you would expect with a properly moored boat. However, you do mention that the number of boats failing to slow down enough increases with each passing year. I presume that you have taken into account that the under keep clearance may have decreased in the 5 years or so that you have moored there because of increased silting, or have you checked the depth to make sure it is still the same? If it has silted up slightly, it may reflect a reduction in the under keel clearance of your boat which may cause you to ground whereas you didn't in the past.  Just a thought. ?

Howard 

When I moored at Napton just above Top Lock before the engine arm we say in a kice little grove in the mud, You would think some of the boats approaching the lock had air brakes, but well moored for and aft with a good spring we were fine, we did come back to the boat once and found the kettle had slopped water, so how fast that one went I dont know

52 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard 

There has been negligible silting since we moved here, 2 foot 10 at one end and 2 foot 8 at the other when the canal is full.

However for latter part of last summer and at present I cannot fully get the back of the boat in when ut is at the shallower end of the mooring.

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Of course not, there are much better things to do with women.

I was inferring that a male doing such a nasty thing would be risking a smack for some of the more aggressive  boaters on the cut, male and female. I find female aggressive behaviour more difficult to ignore than a stupid drunk male, Males are at a disadvantage both in law and morally.

Can you cite an example?

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

There has been negligible silting since we moved here, 2 foot 10 at one end and 2 foot 8 at the other when the canal is full.

However for latter part of last summer and at present I cannot fully get the back of the boat in when ut is at the shallower end of the mooring.

To my mind that sounds very much like the bottom is nearer the top than it was before, which might explain why the boat “bottoms” from time to time. If the canal is at the same level as before either the boat is drawing more or there is a build up of silt.

Howard

Edited by howardang

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

It is unlikely to happen to me as I would have wandered up to the lock and chatted and offered to help if they wanted me to. 

I don't think on the very few occasions when I have done this I have been childish, unpleasant or petulant. 

One time which sticks in my mind where I feel my action may have had a positive result was at shade House lock many years ago. We were following an elderly couple up the locks and when I got to the lock the lady was struggling and her equally elderly husband was unable to get off the boat. Between us we managed to to close that heavy bottom gate and work the lock. Sitting outside was a private boat with a father and teenage son sitting in the front watching the lady struggle. When their boat was in the lock and the son and I were working it together we chatted and I mentioned (nicely) that it would have been a nice gesture to help the old lady. He agreed and it was good to see that he helped the boat coming up at the next lock. 

Haggis 

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, howardang said:

To my mind that sounds very much like the bottom is nearer the top than it was before, which might explain why the boat “bottoms” from time to time. If the canal is at the same level as before either the boat is drawing more or there is a build up of silt.

Howard

Sounds like it but it isn't. It was dry last summer and we haven't had much rain recently. There is a "tidemark" on the piling which I use to check the depth of water to wier level.

4 hours ago, haggis said:

Haggis 

Not naughty at all.

If a boat is approaching then fine but if it is 'parked' by the lock then, if it doesn't have crew on the lock (crew just standing around looking vacant will do) I assume they are moored and ignore them.

I'm wondering if this being shouted at for going too fast is more of a southern thing? Here up north: my boat goes 3mph flat out, guess I slow down to around 2 when passing boats. It probably sounds faster though, my little 2 pot is still doing a fair few revs at that speed. The closest I've come to being shouted out was on the Shroppie, I looked at a woman who was moored in a friendly way, she gave me a scowl and shook her head.