Slowing down for moored boats, corners, bridges etc.

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

So the silly season is upon us once more. How do people manage to forget in the short winter break that they need to slow down for moored boats? We are very lucky in that with Three mooring rings, that are perfectly spaced , and Five lines to hold us utterly

still , no one is going to shout back “moor up properly at us”! (We don’t move) Truthfully it actually isn’t usually hire boats going too fast either, which is utterly shameful. 

Be careful out there folks, and have a great Easter week.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

Yup they started a few weeks ago, people are aware they are too fast but dont care, no consideration for anyone but themselves, also WHY do some have to pass so close and not on the correct side of the canal when you are moored, some are so close they could clean our windows even on a clear straight section, i have trouble understanding their mentality or ignorance. Just as bad is not using a horn at bridges or blind bends. Rant over ??

• Greenie 2

While there sometimes is a lack, either of good manners, or an ignorance of good "boatmanship" I don't think their is a need to get worked up about passing boats. If you ate moored securely a passing boat, even with excessive speed, should not cause more than a momentary irritation. There is absolutely no need to get uptight about it.. Just sit back and wallow in the fact that you know better!

Howard

16 minutes ago, CLAN1 said:

Yup they started a few weeks ago, people are aware they are too fast but dont care, no consideration for anyone but themselves, also WHY do some have to pass so close and not on the correct side of the canal when you are moored, some are so close they could clean our windows even on a clear straight section, i have trouble understanding their mentality or ignorance. Just as bad is not using a horn at bridges or blind bends. Rant over ??

How else would you be able to look into the windows of the boats as you pass

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Using a horn at every bridge or blind bend would be, pardon me for saying it, ridiculous.  The noise would be endless , and if anyone expect me to hear somebody's horn over a Lister thundering away six feet from my ears they're just daft.  

Ah but for single lane hump back bridges it doesn't half cause some confusion on the road above!

• Happy 1

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No I have watched them, they just blow their horn and go

Look, let's be sensible, if I am approaching a blind bend and I hear a horn, what do I do?

Have a honk of my own horn.... stop...what?

I came under the blind bridge towards the Hawkesbury end of the Coventry, did not use my horn and was told off by a moored boat on the off side. Why does a moored boat require a sound signal and how would they interpret one if given?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, frahkn said:

Why does a moored boat require a sound signal and how would they interpret one if given?

So they get an earlier warning to come out and shout "SLOW DOWN!" indiscriminately at every boat that passes regardless of their speed.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, BD3Bill said:

We are very lucky in that with Three mooring rings, that are perfectly spaced , and Five lines to hold us utterly

still , no one is going to shout back “moor up properly at us”! (We don’t move)

So if yoiur boat doesn't apparently move about at all when people come past at the speed you are complaining about, why are  you complaining about it at all?

I'm genuinely curious.

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Happy 2

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

Does "reasonable use" include exceeding the speed limit? You mention the bank: surely damage to this is increased by boats going too fast?

Certainly bank damage can be caused by going too fast. I don't think anyone is advocating excessive speed, but rather excessive slowing down unnecessarily for all moored boats. Like all thinks in life thee is a happy medium, and also something called using ones "nous". ?

Howard

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I generally slow right down when passing most boats, but make an exception for CART workboats. I have never been sure why.

That is a dangerous practice as there is a 99% chance that someone is in the cabin holding a mug of tea. 

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

Certainly bank damage can be caused by going too fast. I don't think anyone is advocating excessive speed, but rather excessive slowing down unnecessarily for all moored boats. Like all thinks in life thee is a happy medium, and also something called using ones "nous". ?

Howard

I suspect that more often than not, those who think that a passing boat is 'going too fast' are actually moored in a shallow bank stretch where any boat movement is going to have an amplified effect on a moored boat - just 'cos the water has to go somewhere. (Some people forget that a boat goes forward because the prop extracts water from arounbd the boat causing it to 'fall' forward down the wave. Similar effect when going through very narrow bridges and coming to an almost complete stop) There are just a few permanent moorers whose only daily delight is in shouting at a passing boat regardless of what speed they are doing! Since few know what actual speed they are doing it is always a win-win for the moorer! In any case, as with bank wash, it is not a matter of absolute speed, but what speed is right for the specific circumstance.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I generally slow right down when passing most boats, but make an exception for CART workboats. I have never been sure why.

I too absolutely always go to tickover unless very windy. Its not hard and just good manners. I also do it for CART workboats ? I do not however get wound up about it when some numpty tears by too fast ( Nearly always a private boat owner ) A little game I play in my head if I see slack mooring rope boat I am approaching, is trying to get past the boat without the ropes moving or tightning up.

• Greenie 4

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

There are just a few permanent moorers whose only daily delight is in shouting at a passing boat regardless of what speed they are doing! Since few know what actual speed they are doing it is always a win-win for the moorer! 

Not necessarily. If you have an engine like ours, if it happens (which is rarely) you just smile and call out either "Yes, but there's rain forecast later", "It's a Gardner" or "Half past three" to taste.

9 hours ago, frahkn said:

Look, let's be sensible, if I am approaching a blind bend and I hear a horn, what do I do?

Have a honk of my own horn.... stop...what?

I came under the blind bridge towards the Hawkesbury end of the Coventry, did not use my horn and was told off by a moored boat on the off side. Why does a moored boat require a sound signal and how would they interpret one if given?

I was refering to the cars which get confused when you blow your horn. If I am at a blind bridge I expect to meet someone

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I too absolutely always go to tickover unless very windy. Its not hard and just good manners. I also do it for CART workboats ? I do not however get wound up about it when some numpty tears by too fast ( Nearly always a private boat owner ) A little game I play in my head if I see slack mooring rope boat I am approaching, is trying to get past the boat without the ropes moving or tightning up.

I must start playing this game too. Also always go at tick over these days as am never in a hurry (if I was I would have bought a motorbike instead)?. Must confess to not always being in tick over before becoming a liveaboard when boating was just a holiday thing and had a strict itinerary to stick too...but efficiency at locks saves far more time!

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was refering to the cars which get confused when you blow your horn. If I am at a blind bridge I expect to meet someone

Best bridge for this is the one above Tixall Lock, you can see cars coming from quite a way back. Had two cars stop there after my timely toots.?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1