surecal expansion tank position

Featured Posts

Re-plumbing soon. Going to get SureCal cauliflower  ?. Their install pdf shows Hot Out -> "T" Split to hot taps -> "T" to Expansion Tank -> Shower hot.

Why not just : Hot out -> "T" to Expansion Tank -> "T" to Shower -> "T" to Taps , all in one long run (what I'd like to do) ???

In first case (what SureCal suggest) Expansion tank is NOT before first hot out taps ??. Anything wrong with what Im planning -- hate to ignore the OEM advice but it doesnt make sense to me ... which usually means Ive made a mistake somewhere ?!.

And on another dumb question note (!) - is there anything wrong with going with speedfit braided hose direct from the calorifier to first "T" ?

plumb.jpg

Nothing wrong with your plan at all. Theirs is a putative typical layout, but your scheme will work equally well. Braided hose connections to the cauliflower are OK too. Watch the temperature limits for the fittings connecting the engine hot coolant circuit to the calorifier coil. Some have a limit of 60C, some 80C. Engines typically work at around 80C.

Jen

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Nothing wrong with your plan at all. Theirs is a putative typical layout, but your scheme will work equally well. Braided hose connections to the cauliflower are OK too. Watch the temperature limits for the fittings connecting the engine hot coolant circuit to the calorifier coil. Some have a limit of 60C, some 80C. Engines typically work at around 80C.

Jen

That's how ours is plumbed in

7 minutes ago, sharpness said:

Braided hose connections are ok but they are usually smaller bore than their nominal 15 or 22mm and restrict the flow. Use full bore flexis.

Braided flexies are "OK" bearing in mind the bore but they do fail eventually on the bend especially on hot water supplies. why not just use plastic plumbing?

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings & Added

53 minutes ago, Sassy Lass said:

Re-plumbing soon. Going to get SureCal cauliflower  ?. Their install pdf shows Hot Out -> "T" Split to hot taps -> "T" to Expansion Tank -> Shower hot.

Why not just : Hot out -> "T" to Expansion Tank -> "T" to Shower -> "T" to Taps , all in one long run (what I'd like to do) ???

No reason at all. Put them in whatever order you like.

Thanks. Reassuring that scheme overall seems ok. In terms of implementation I was thinking about braided hose so as to: (i) reduce number of connections - seems like a good idea to me, and; (ii) provide some vibration isolation. Speedfit do a heavier duty hose (see pg 17) but it only terminates on union nuts and I was thinking SF less likely to vibrate loose than nut + ptfe + thread connection. Do most think that pipe origami with lots of elbows etc is better ??..Ive enc a drawing below... as you can see I have access to a multi-million pound CAD system (not). 

hot.water.system.jpg.7de0f3faf4e73936baa34575c7982c5e.jpg

Edited by Sassy Lass

13 hours ago, Sassy Lass said:

There is PRV and theromstat mixer factory fitted on the surecal, Ive only drawn from the hot take-off, apologies again for the CAD ?

How/where do I fit a pressure gauge ... 

In principle you could fit it pretty much anywhere in the pipework. It's often built into the PRV assembly (Screwfix sell one like that, but it gets lousy reviews, mostly due to its poor quality reducer set). Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRESSURE-REDUCING-VALVE-DZR-BRASS-C-W-REAR-ENTRY-GAUGE-15MM-1-6-BAR-PRV/283028234837?epid=1291027221&hash=item41e5cc2255:g:P0AAAMXQVERSvZTd

Plenty of pressure gauges on Ebay, I think glycerin-filled are considered better than air-filled. Your choice of fitting and position: usually 1/4 or 1/8 BSP and bottom or back fitting.

43 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

In principle you could fit it pretty much anywhere in the pipework. It's often built into the PRV assembly (Screwfix sell one like that, but it gets lousy reviews, mostly due to its poor quality reducer set). Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRESSURE-REDUCING-VALVE-DZR-BRASS-C-W-REAR-ENTRY-GAUGE-15MM-1-6-BAR-PRV/283028234837?epid=1291027221&hash=item41e5cc2255:g:P0AAAMXQVERSvZTd

Plenty of pressure gauges on Ebay, I think glycerin-filled are considered better than air-filled. Your choice of fitting and position: usually 1/4 or 1/8 BSP and bottom or back fitting.

I fitted a gauge that was destined for a Hot Tub