Notre Dame on Fire

matty40s

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Ultimately this system is ingrained in British culture, and is unlikely to change. There's little I can do personally, given that I don't like the system, other than to avoid using language myself that emanates from class divide thinking

I agree. But if you use the term "so-called" next to "professional" you are actually perpetuating the impression of class you claim to dislike. You perhaps need to think a little harder about what other people might infer from your words.  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It is, at least on the surface, an accurate one. When I was a boy some years ago, you could always tell a working class person from a professional person by their appearance. Nowadays they look more or less the same.

Take a walk around Trowbridge town centre and you may change that view.

Edited by David Schweizer

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Do professional men still wear bowler hats out in those parts?

No not really, I was thinking of all the uncouth, overweight people who walk around the town centre in the middle of the week, smoking, eating pies and swearing, whilst wearing oversized jogging bottoms and baggy  tshirts.

Edited by David Schweizer

Just now, David Schweizer said:

No not really, I was thinking of all the uncouth, overweight people who walk around the town centre in the middle of the week, smoking, eating pies and swearing, whilst wearing oversized jogging bottoms and baggy te shirts.

Yes, solicitors do dress more casually than hitherto.

47 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I agree. But if you use the term "so-called" next to "professional" you are actually perpetuating the impression of class you claim to dislike. You perhaps need to think a little harder about what other people might infer from your words.  

Not at all. The fact that workers are divided into 'professional' and 'non-professional' is the most obvious modern day categorisation of class. By using 'so called' and then explaining why I do this it might just make some people think. Obviously if you consider yourself a 'professional' and as such believe that you're more worthy than others who don't have this tag, perhaps more important, more intelligent maybe, using 'so called' in front of your tag is unlikely to get through to you. I don't believe that all so called professionals are this way though, many of them just work hard so they are successful, and would never consider themselves to be above others. After all, at the end of the day, it's just a job.

1 minute ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The fact that workers are divided into 'professional' and 'non-professional' is the most obvious modern day categorisation of class

So in what way are you seeking to "avoid using language myself that emanates from class divide thinking"? You are still dividing class from class even if the definitions of said classes are different!

10 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

if you consider yourself a 'professional' and as such believe that you're more worthy than others who don't have this tag

I do, and I do not, in that order.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

So in what way are you seeking to "avoid using language myself that emanates from class divide thinking"? You are still dividing class from class even if the definitions of said classes are different!

No, I'm distancing myself from using language that perpetuates the class divide, along with highlighting the fact, to those with the ability to think, that some people think they are better than others, because of the job they do.

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

No, I'm distancing myself from using language that perpetuates the class divide, along with highlighting the fact, to those with the ability to think, that some people think they are better than others, because of the job they do.

Are you not dividing people into two classes - those who you feel can think and those who (in your opinion) can't?

This will only perpetuate the class division.?

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, frangar said:

you can avoid pointless threads like this one which is of no boating relevance.

Notre Dame sits on Ile de la Cité, an island in the middle of the Seine. There are boats on the Seine (I've been on one, all the way around said island and Ile Saint-Louis).

Ergo - boating related thread.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

There's quite a lot of the cathedral still there, so the present tense is probably still correct.

"They" were saying today that the inside and all the 'stuff' escaped the fire- the only thing damaged was a 'modern' pulpit which was hit by wreckage of the spire.

All of the historical architectural features, carvings, statues and glass have survived.

Basically the internal 'vault' roof protected the contents from the falling burning roof parts.

Maybe some ones God is looking after his house ?