Notre Dame on Fire

matty40s

Featured Posts

Yes its a blooming shame. I love old buildings. Hope they sort it soon. There was a major fire at York minster in the early eighties most of us will vividly remember ( Except thet schoolboy The biscuits ) ? and that was repaired to a great standard.

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes its a blooming shame. I love old buildings. Hope they sort it soon. There was a major fire at York minster in the early eighties most of us will vividly remember ( Except thet schoolboy The biscuits ) ? and that was repaired to a great standard.

I blame brexit. The french will. 

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Looks horrendous, you just don’t expect this to happen to iconic buildings.  Very sad.

Iconic fires that ought never to have happened:

Brunswick Tower and St George's Hall, Windsor Castle

York Minster

Glasgow School of Art

Cutty Sark

Notre Dame

Any I've missed? I feel there is one more...

But Grenfell trumps the lot of them, obvs.

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Iconic fires that ought never to have happened:

Brunswick Tower and St George's Hall, Windsor Castle

York Minster

Glasgow School of Art

Cutty Sark

Notre Dame

Any I've missed? I feel there is one more...

But Grenfell trumps the lot of them, obvs.

Woolworth's, Manchester.

Valley Parade, Bradford. 

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Glasgow School of Art

Twice! Was lucky to visit it a couple of months before the first fire and saw the library in its original state. Very sad to see any great building lost like this. Even rebuilt they are never the same. Hope Notre Dame isn't as bad as it looks, but it does look very bad right now.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

On the one hand it is sad to see the loss of a great work of architecture, on the other hand it is the disappearance of a structure built by the sweat of lots of poor people who should never have been duped into paying for it, and occupied by men of dubious character.

Now, where is that bunker?

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Twice! Was lucky to visit it a couple of months before the first fire and saw the library in its original state. Very sad to see any great building lost like this. Even rebuilt they are never the same. Hope Notre Dame isn't as bad as it looks, but it does look very bad right now.

I had a sneaky private tour around the areas not open to the public  a year or so before the fire, amazing building