Morco gas water heater

bobl

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, bobl said:

Does anyone know someone in the Manchester area that services these water heaters

Very rare for anyone to have them annually serviced, even though it is good advice. 

Do you really mean servicing? Or do you mean yours have broken and needs mending? 

The answer to your exact question is yes, probably. But not me! 

Thank you for the response, the heater is working well although occasionally the pilot light goes out. It is fitted to a boat that I have just bought so I do not know when it was last serviced. Therefore I am looking for someone to do a service?

This may be quite hard to arrange.  Although they can still quite legally be fitted to private boats, they are an open flued device, and you will probably find that a Gas Safe engineer, (who should be qualified for both LPG, and boats) will be reluctant to work on one, (or so we get told).

I'm not quite sure if the legalities of using somebody not so qualified, and paying them for it.  this may depend n whether it is your main residence or not, I'm not sure any more! This whole area is confusing at best.  Indeed it is highly possible, I'm now adding to that confusion by not being in full possession of the full facts(!)

26 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

This may be quite hard to arrange.  Although they can still quite legally be fitted to private boats, they are an open flued device, and you will probably find that a Gas Safe engineer, (who should be qualified for both LPG, and boats) will be reluctant to work on one, (or so we get told).

I'm not quite sure if the legalities of using somebody not so qualified, and paying them for it.  this may depend n whether it is your main residence or not, I'm not sure any more! This whole area is confusing at best.  Indeed it is highly possible, I'm now adding to that confusion by not being in full possession of the full facts(!)

No I think you have it broadly right. Some facts (most of which, most Gas Safe gas engineers sadly seem unaware of):

1) If your boat is your home, anyone being PAID to work on your gas system must be all three of these: Gas Safe Registered, have the LPG add-on qualification and the BOATS add on qualification.

2) If your boat is your home but you are not PAYING them, any old Tom Dick or Harry can work on it.

3) If your boat is NOT your home, any old Tom Dick or Harry can work on it.

4) The Morco is an open flue appliance and it IS allowed in boats.

5) If the boat IS your home, the Morco is not allowed to be fitted in a shower room, bathroom or sleeping area.

So there. I can't imagine why people get confused about that. 

• Greenie 1

P.S. And as you may be surprised to note, all these rules supposedly for gas safety are a farce. Because they mostly revolve around whether pieces of folding paper are changing hands or not, and whether you live on the boat or not. You would think if something about gas was dangerous, neither of these two factors would have any bearing on the matter.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

No warranties given or implied - you might want to have a look at BSS examiners for South Yorkshire list on Google.  I've recently had dealings with:

Name: Richard Fee Richard Fee
Address: Swiftcraft Boats
Parkin Lane
Apperley bridge
Bradford
BD10 0NF
Landline: 07850249449
Mobile: 07850249449
Email: rjfee@talktalk.net

via BSC and subsequent troubleshooting and service of an Alde balanced flue - don't know if he does everything but I was very happy.  I understand he was going to be on hols for a bit so may not be immediately contactable.