Spot the mistake

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Reminds me of a garage I worked at. We had a brand new 4 post MOT lift installed and the installer guys asked to borrow our stepladders.  When they'd gone, we were amused to find the three phase cable ran through between two of the steps.....:blink:

13 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Darwinism. We are providing the  statutory means to rescue idiots who get drunk and fall in, but it may take some time to access. Therefore think before you act.

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of the people on this forum have been next to water while 'over the limit' or worse - but yes, let's all just reassure ourselves that the only risk is to some anonymous group of worthless, subhuman 'idiots' who deserve to die anyway.

Sorry for the snippy tone there Roland, not meant personally, but by God this 'Darwinism'/'Darwin Awards' stuff gets my goat.

1 hour ago, magictime said:

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of the people on this forum have been next to water while 'over the limit' or worse - but yes, let's all just reassure ourselves that the only risk is to some anonymous group of worthless, subhuman 'idiots' who deserve to die anyway.

Sorry for the snippy tone there Roland, not meant personally, but by God this 'Darwinism'/'Darwin Awards' stuff gets my goat.

The quay at Wells on the N Norfolk coast has railings to stop people falling in the sea, after a night in the local pub about 40 years ago I walked along the top of the railings. so railings dont stop drunk people doing stupid things, in my case it encouraged them.

I may be wrong but the life belt looks more like it's off a boat rather than a formal bankside life saving facility and the barrier looks more like a boundary marker than an effective means to prevent the inebriated (or kids or, in my case when I fell in, the sober stumbler after twisting one's ankle) from falling in.

Not really a great example of "Health and safety gone mad"

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I don’t take it personally so that’s just fine. I’m very thick skinned. 

However I am personally totally pissed off with administrators, and risk consultants making a living ( and making my life harder) by incessantly attempting to minimise the negative behaviour of the terminally idiotic.

in Melbourne where we have been living following a psychopath throwing his daughter off a bridge, the council closed the bridge, and built 8 ft barriers, to stop copycats.

This enabled the victim, and the perpetrators families, to sue the road authority, for not for seeing that this might happen, when they built the bridge.

of course other similar bridges have not been guarded.

where does it stop, the protection of people from their own acts.

Not sure how that is an example of 'protection of people from their own acts' - a girl thrown off a bridge by her father? - but yes, I can see there's a general question about how far these things should be taken.

What bothers me, I think, is this: yes, it's stupid to take an unnecessary risk where there's, say, a 1 in 100 chance it'll kill you - crossing a road carelessly, trying to get back on to a boat while drunk, or whatever - but let's face it, for every person who does get killed that way and is immediately filed away under 'idiot, not fit to reproduce', there are 99 other equally idiotic people who get to tell themselves their risk-taking must have been much more calculated and sensible.

It was the knee jerk reponse that only the one bridge that needed guarding  given that there are 2 other equaly high bridges over the river, that remain unguarded that was my point.

i could not agree more that it was an appalling crime, but regretably  money is spent on meaningless health and safety, that coukd go on fighting societies increasing violence and lack of acceptance of our own responsibility.