How long does a BSS examination normally take ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Unfortunately that's the way it is!

I used to certify electric chain hoists under LOLER and I could do about 6 a day, I used to strip the motor completely check/clean brakes, chain guides, etc and inspect every inch of the chain for damage then load test. I did it this way because my name was on the cert. Certain other well known companies just used to load test and that was it, no internal or chain inspection at all. 

Not all clients cared, as so long as they had the cert they were in the clear, much the same as the BSS.

BTW if you have ever seen a chain hoist fail then its pretty devastating.

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Not all clients cared, as so long as they had the cert they were in the clear, much the same as the BSS.

Quite. 

It is all about having someone to throw the book at in the unlikely event of something going badly wrong. To sue or prosecute, even. 

So in this case the cliché of 'its a numbers game' is dead right. Do a BSS, a gas inspection, a chain hoist inspection or whatever and use your spidey senses to pick up any danger signs, and take the hundred quid on offer for the work, or do it properly and earn too little for it to be worthwhile doing the job. 

This is why I generally decline to do landlord gas safety inspections. Takes 2 or 3 hours done properly, and there is always a goon competing with you willing to do them for £45.