How long does a BSS examination normally take ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

10 minutes to look round the boat, 20 minutes to drink coffee, 15 minutes to fill out forms, seconds to pay the ludicrous fee.

I have the gas gauge already set up, gas locker empty and open, battery bank open, kettle on the stove. 

If the kettle is on wont it show as a leak on the bubble tester ?  :detective:

52 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

10 minutes to look round the boat, 20 minutes to drink coffee, 15 minutes to fill out forms, seconds to pay the ludicrous fee.

I have the gas gauge already set up, gas locker empty and open, battery bank open, kettle on the stove. 

That sounds like my examiner, apart from the coffee, he pefers a single malt (Laphroaig)

I must be using very much more thorough examiners than some of you!

For a boat with "all services" doing it in 40 minutes or even an hour sounds like skimping it to me.

My last one on Flamingo must have been at least 2 hours.  Sickle, done at the same time, was faster, but it has no gas, mains electrics - well, in fact, it has not very much at all!

19 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I must be using very much more thorough examiners than some of you!

For a boat with "all services" doing it in 40 minutes or even an hour sounds like skimping it to me.

My last one on Flamingo must have been at least 2 hours.  Sickle, done at the same time, was faster, but it has no gas, mains electrics - well, in fact, it has not very much at all!

That is what I was expecting - I have had a number of BSS examinations done but never previously been present.

The day before he was due I did my own BSS (and followed the guidelines exactly) even knowing where everything was and how it all worked took me over an hour)

Diesel Engine

Gas cooking (hob and separate oven)

Diesel heating

AC electrics

AC Inverter

DC electrics

Domestic Battery Bank

Engine Battery

Bubble tester,

Sea Toilets

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is what I was expecting - I have had a number of BSS examinations done but never previously been present.

The day before he was due I did my own BSS (and followed the guidelines exactly) even knowing where everything was and how it all worked took me over an hour)

Diesel Engine

Gas cooking (hob and separate oven)

Diesel heating

AC electrics

AC Inverter

DC electrics

Domestic Battery Bank

Engine Battery

Bubble tester,

Sea Toilets

Missing, CO alarm, Gas bottle store, Gas lines and flexies, ventilation, fire extinguishers and blanket, escape routes. Fires and flues.

Edited by Boater Sam

Just now, Boater Sam said:

Missing, CO alarm, Gas bottle store, Gas lines and flexies 

I was just listing 'systems' as the point was raised earlier about it would depend on what systems were fitted.

But - yes :

3x Co alarms (1 in each 'living area' as required)

Gas bottle locker

Obviously gas pipes / hoses connecting the gas bottle to the Bubble tester to the appliances.

21 minutes ago, DavidPeckham said:

Just had one on Saturday, took around  an hour and 15 minutes but my previous certificate didn't have the appliances listed so that may be why it took a bit longer.

I think the listing of appliance stopped before 2015 which is when my last one was issued (they certainly were not shown on the2015 one, but were on the prior 2011 BSSC)

Mine took nearly two hours, lots of explaining what was happening manometer test takes about 10 minutes,very thorough,I wouldn't have it any other way,this is the second time I have used this examiner,I have seen other examiners off other boats in 30 minutes!!!???