Lister (sort of)

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

I did! Also Bolinder made mincers (the clamp on the kitchen table type) . Actually I'm not sure if it was the same Bolinder but unless somebody knows better then I'm sticking to my version.

• Haha 1

Yep, second job I had as a teenager had one.  It was actually a "Wolseley" and acted as as standby milking machine in case of power cuts but I'm pretty sure it said something about sheep shearing on the engine nameplate.  Had a sort of rounded water hopper....

2 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

What intrigues me is that the logos being there imply that Lister are still a going concern, and I thought they had gone out of business?

It surprises me - they became Lister Petter in the 1980s and dropped the familiar scripted logo. They moved from their long-term home in Dursley to a new factory about five years ago, after a buy-out, so perhaps they then reverted to the old style.

There were a series of small aircooled Lister engines being made in India..........they had flattish sheetmetal rocker covers ,rather than the cast ally of the LD and SL type.....so maybe a new series of Listers or Petters will be Indian made...........

56 minutes ago, john.k said:

There were a series of small aircooled Lister engines being made in India..........they had flattish sheetmetal rocker covers ,rather than the cast ally of the LD and SL type.....so maybe a new series of Listers or Petters will be Indian made...........

There were, and probably still are, lots and lots of them, generically known as "Listeroids"., based on various Lister designs. Redshaw's imported an Indian version of the Lister CS a few years ago, and possibly still sell them. I believe that such engines are especially popular in the U.S.A. for power generation in rural houses.

The parent web site makes it clear that Lister-Petter production will continue at their English factory.

On 15/04/2019 at 12:54, Boater Sam said:

Brilliant on demand generators,  3 wheel tug trucks. Lots of farm equipment for all sorts of uses.

The Startomatic , which sounds like something Wiley Coyote would get from the ACME Supply Company ?

• Happy 1

Lister automatic lighting set  was the startomatic.........as soon as battery voltage ran down,the generator would start..........in both 32 v and 110v DC.............the small Listers Im thinking of wernt Listeroids,but air cooled twins and threes  on little gensets that were sold here by Lister Petter Aust ..........the bad part was the "Made in India" tag on the motors.........as I remember ,the price was $6000 for a small 7 1/2 kva genset...............I suspect they were made by Mysore Kirloskar Co,a big combine 20 years ago,but several of the group companies have gone bust  ,including the machine tools manufacture.

I repaired a lister startomatic set many years ago on a remote cottage in Anglesey. Lethal bloody thing. It was a ww 2 lighting set I think, 230v dc.

Used a double ended mawdsley dynamo with 200 volt and 24 volt windings in series. The 24v winding started the thing,  charged the batteries, and worked a solenoid which held the inlet valve open till a centrifugal switch tripped when it had got up enough speed to start. Only thing was, the batteries were 200 volts above earth.. nasty.  the house light switches had to be qm&b, quick make & break, or they would start arcing inside when anything was switched off. You couldn't use ordinary light switches.