Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
magpie patrick

Music onboard - how do you listen?

Featured Posts

Simple enough question I guess, but in years and years of boating I've never satisfactorily resolved this - how to listen to recorded music onboard. Ripple had a decent "in-car" stereo which took CDs, Lutine has not, and Juno hasn't either. Radio reception is patchy (and tbh I tend to use radio for spoken word) and neither boat has room for a boom box to be plonked anywhere. It also always seems the CD I want is in the car, the office...

I want a system that works like a CD player, as in, I decided what I want to listen to, press a button, and hey presto its playing through speakers - I realise I will need to load the music onto it first . It needs to recharge off 12 volts and be fairly small (think "transistor radio" when they were a thing - go on a shelf)

Others must have the same desire (even if dramatically different taste!) - how do you do it? Suggestions much appreciated thanks! 

Edited by magpie patrick

"In my head" - given peace and tranquillity (read "no interruptions" rather than "no noise") I can quite happily listen to "Tall Ships" in it's entirety with no electronics or mechanics involved. But any interruption and I lose the flow.

Whenever I am mobile, boat, bike, walking, whatever (but not car) I use my phone and a pair of Jabra ear buds.  Only I can then hear it (usually spoken, podcasts or similar) and nobody else is bothered.  Easy to make playlists on the phone and can fast forward from the earbud.  Portable, easy to charge and earbuds usually last me 4 to 5 hours bike rides - haven't gone far enough yet for them to run out anyway.

Music on phone via headphone jack to USB powered speakers and phone via bluetooth to USB charged bluetooth speakers. All 12v charging via cigarette outlet to USB charger.

On Radio 2 on our Goodmans Oxford DAB radio (selected programmes only: Sounds Of The Sixties and Steve Wright are favourites), and on a wall-mounted Grundig CD player.

Our previous DAB radio (make forgotten) was useless on the boat, as it would only get reception when placed right next to an open door, but the Goodmans receives programmes throughout the boat. Its only inexplicable feature is that, though an "Oxford" model, it is Cambridge blue.

Phone (either stored albums or streamed radio or Spotify) to a decent, rechargeable Bluetooth speaker. No draw on the batteries, charge when cruising.

Kenwood car stereo with DAB and Bluetooth. Smartphone with Spotify.

Forget flying cars and protein pills. The future has arrived when I can moor in the middle of nowhere and have instant access to essentially all of recorded music for less than I used, in my youth, to spend each month on a couple of vinyl albums.

MP

PS. Ignore the naysayers on DAB, we've found it gives much more reliable reception as we move around, only failing (so far) in the notorious Lower Heyford triangle where no radio waves penetrate.

Edited by MoominPapa

I use multiple sources;

Raspberry Pi running Kodi holds my local collection, can also access iPlayer Radio, and dvb-t/s streams depending on connected receivers and antennae.  This plays into the main speaker system.

Phone running Spotify, iPlayer Radio, podcast app (and a subset of the local collection) connected by WiFi to a Chromecast Audio puck that also plays into the main speaker system or bluetooths into the driving position car stereo or a portable speaker.

For those occasions when I can't get the artist to come on board and play their album in its entirity, I stream from phone or laptop to Bluetooth speaker. I have considered an amp and speakers but for its size the Fugoo speaker kicks out enough quality without the need for all that extra setup. Charges via 12v usb car charger and battery lasts about 40 hours. 

Deezer on phone and Bluetooth speaker. 

My phone seems to be replacing all my array of electronica these days. 

I even navigated into Weymouth Harbour with it a couple of weeks ago when bad seas threw my laptop on the floor, smashing the screen. 

It now functions as entertainment system, camera , speed log, tracking device with RYA Safetrx and backup chart plotter. 

I believe it is also possible to use it as a communications device. 

Music onboard - how do you listen?

Me, I use my ears. :D

Sorry, got my coat, hat and boots, on my way.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Phone, Spotify, Bluetooth dongle, 3 minirigs and a minirig sub, made in Bristol by my mate Tom. 

45C78837-3FFF-4F79-9FDA-667CADF8C77A.jpeg

We have a cd player with stereo speakers. Also sometimes just listen to the radio channels on the telly.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We have a cd player with stereo speakers. Also sometimes just listen to the radio channels on the telly.

Bit modern Tim? I’d have you down as a wax drum kinda guy... 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Wanted said:

Bit modern Tim? I’d have you down as a wax drum kinda guy... 

Where ya bin!! Need yer humour 😊

59 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I just use my ears ...

(But I am younger than most of you lot so they still work!)

Why don't you ever 'kin well listen to any of us then!?!

:icecream:

8 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

the notorious Lower Heyford triangle where no radio waves penetrate.

I lived there for several months back in the 1970s, Radio Oxford, no problem.  What has happened?

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I just use my ears ...

(But I am younger than most of you lot so they still work!)

Oh yeah? You dare not put yer age on yer profile innitt 😊