Mooring in Stoke as a visitor?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Dont go near Birmingham

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yea,

the peaky blinders will do you for sure

I refer the honourable gentlemen to my post elsewhere of afew minutes ago...

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Spread the word - lock your boats in the marina (remember to keep your licence up to date) and stay at home!! ;)

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Goliath said:

It always surprises me how reputations will stick for decades. 

And how people enjoy continuing the story. 

For example; It’s still ‘a said’ always stop at Rodley the night before doing the Newly locks or Never stop in Wigan. 

We always stop at Rodley.  Ephesus Turkish restaurant makes it a deliberate destination - it's great.

We were in Wigan last week and will be again next week.

Blackburn is another one - "get through Blackburn and Burnley in one go as early as you can and don't stop for anything."  We spend a fortnight at a time at Eanam Wharf, usually in Calypso!

I always ask people who tell me this when did they last try and stop in any of these places.  Never is the usual answer, and quite a few have never even been that way by boat, they just heard it from someone else.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Blackburn is another one - "get through Blackburn and Burnley in one go as early as you can and don't stop for anything."  We spend a fortnight at a time at Eanam Wharf, usually in Calypso!

Cant think of a better place to eat, we stopped on the way east , so had to stop again on the way back

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yep

and like a fool, I fell for that and never stopped. 

I plan to return to the Leeds Liverpool for the winter so will make up for lost opportunities. 

21 minutes ago, Goliath said:

For example; It’s still ‘a said’ always stop at Rodley the night before doing the Newly locks or Never stop in Wigan. 

People just like to feel secure and safe; that their evening won't be disturbed and neither will their boat. As a result any place that has had a notorious reputation at some point in the relatively recent past is unlikely to completely shake it off, unless the place has undergone obvious improvements or regeneration - ie. Castlefield, Birmingham city centre. 

What about Liverpool for example? Is Litherland now a place to feel confident in stopping for the night? 

Edited by Philip

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Yep

and like a fool, I fell for that and never stopped. 

I plan to return to the Leeds Liverpool for the winter so will make up for lost opportunities. 

Let us know - we will show you the good pubs if you like proper beer.

• Greenie 1

£25.94 was the price we paid for Calor at Etruria a couple of weeks back. We've moored at most of the locations mentioned in the thread without incident. Holy Inadequate is the best pub on the system for my tuppence, if you can stand Jasons jokes that is.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Castlefield

Hmmm, well, we moored there for a couple of nights last summer. We survived, as did the boat, but I won't be rushing back. Actually, never mind the rushing part, I won't be going back.  There's little point in carrying out improvements if you then just leave the place to the drunks, junkies and dealers. In my recent experience, the entire Manchester waterfront is a disgrace.  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

People just like to feel secure and safe; that their evening won't be disturbed and neither will their boat. As a result any place that has had a notorious reputation at some point in the relatively recent past is unlikely to completely shake it off, unless the place has undergone obvious improvements or regeneration - ie. Castlefield, Birmingham city centre. 

What about Liverpool for example? Is Litherland now a place to feel confident in stopping for the night? 

None of this is applicable to Trentham - it's hardly a built up area. I'm surprised there has been any notoriety in the past - it's a very unlikely location for trouble.

22 hours ago, frahkn said:

I imagine that the pubs (and shops) accessible from Westport are those you can walk to from the southern portal of Harecastle. Those are only a stroll.

Just checked the log.

We walked to Tunstall for pubs (from both Harecastle and Westport) not to Burslem.

It wasn't far though.

22 hours ago, frahkn said:

I imagine that the pubs (and shops) accessible from Westport are those you can walk to from the southern portal of Harecastle. Those are only a stroll.

Just checked the log.

We walked to Tunstall for pubs (from both Harecastle and Westport) not to Burslem.

It wasn't far though.

18 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Just checked the log.

It wasn't far though.

Just checked the log.

It wasn't far though.

According to Google, both are just over a mile and a quarter and half an hour walking, Burslem a tad closer. Not too bad for going to the pub - not so good for a return! (It is too many decades to admit since visiting either so I cannot comment on whether it is worth it!)

23 hours ago, Goliath said:

There was a very good article in last month's Canal Boat magazine about the paranoia of some boaters and how they are fearful about coming to grief when they venture into some of these areas.  The only place in Stoke where I've had a bit of bother is on the Calden in Milton when a few bored kids decided to chuck stones at us as we passed by, but that can happen anywhere.

15 hours ago, Grassman said:

There was a very good article in last month's Canal Boat magazine about the paranoia of some boaters and how they are fearful about coming to grief when they venture into some of these areas.  The only place in Stoke where I've had a bit of bother is on the Calden in Milton when a few bored kids decided to chuck stones at us as we passed by, but that can happen anywhere.

This paranoia/insecurity in some boaters is astounding sometimes. Years ago had another boat moor close to us in the middle of nowhere near Priors Hardwick on the Oxford summit  and a lady got out to come and ask if we were staying the night here...as they didn't feel safe mooring without another boat in sight! And they had a massive dog. Understandable in a city but the summit of the Oxford canal...?

5 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

This paranoia/insecurity in some boaters is astounding sometimes. Years ago had another boat moor close to us in the middle of nowhere near Priors Hardwick on the Oxford summit  and a lady got out to come and ask if we were staying the night here...as they didn't feel safe mooring without another boat in sight! And they had a massive dog. Understandable in a city but the summit of the Oxford canal...?

But there were no street light or security grills on the windows. That is how some people live these days. Its what you are use to.

On 15/04/2019 at 20:37, Ange said:

None of this is applicable to Trentham - it's hardly a built up area. I'm surprised there has been any notoriety in the past - it's a very unlikely location for trouble.

Trentham feels like a nice safe rural spot, but I have always wondered why there are handcuff keys on the lock ?????

There are still occasional reports of trouble in Stoke on Trent and I am aware of two incidents at Westport Lake over the last couple of years, one very serious. At Stoke selfish cycling and quite a bit of towpath motorcycling are very real issues, in fact I really would never stop there at all if not for the Holy Inadequate (and the cheap gas).

..................Dave

I was single handed going through Stoke last year and was warned by a local not to leave the boat out of sight and unmanned when working the locks, that there was the risk of locals jumping on the boat as soon as it was left on a landing on it's own. Don't know how real a risk that was but I was careful. I moored at Westport lake and loved it. Going west though I got there mid afternoon and there were no moorings left beside the lake, I had to take a spot before the road bridge and that was all that was left. Got a lovely mooring on my way back but earlier in  the day. Probably fine now though, that was later in the season.