Mooring in Stoke as a visitor?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Hi I'm passing through Stoke in a couple of weeks.   Any tips on where to moor up would be much appreciated.   I've been told by a couple of boaters to carry on through and not to bother - but what's Etruria Junction like among other places?

Thanks. 

Safe to moor. 

Good services. 

And you got the Holy Inadequate pub. 

And cheap gas. 

And a decent little museum. 

Just to add:

midport potteries is ok to moor 

and by the wildlife park is good too. 

Plus you can overnight by the tunnel. 

Edited by Goliath

We usually moor by the Black Prince  base as its an easy walk to the supermarkets and a near by bus stop to the town centre. As others have said, mooring just on the Caldon between the services and staircase locks is good.

The Toby Carvery pub at festival Park is OK for food and mooring  

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Or by the big lake (the name escapes me for the moment). Peaceful at night, good for a nice evening stroll, no issues other than a bit of goose wotsit. 

Westport Lake

The moorings at Barlaston near the Wedgwood factory are lovely. The Plume of Feathers is a very nice pub. Alternatively, if you're partial to a very good steak, I'd recommend the Duke of York pub in Barlaston. A bit of a walk from the canal but well worth it.

Outside the Toby Carvery and Black Prince base at Etruria is a good mooring. The all you can eat breakfast at the carvery is great value for money and another vote for the Holy Inadequate - if you like your ales it's worth the walk.

Westport Lake is also a great mooring - the facilities are a bit hidden but they're lovely and clean. The walk round the lake is very picturesque and if you're very lucky you might meet the oatcake boat. A visit to Stoke isn't complete without a sausage and cheese oatcake (my preference - other combinations are available ?)

Rather than the oft repeated advice of passing through Stoke without stopping I'd spend a few days there.

Edited by Ange
to add a bit more
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Another vote here for Westport Park (not forgetting taking on a gas bottle by bridge 117, probably the cheapest on the entire system).

Oh, that's interesting (more so for those who use more gas than me) - I thought that Calor set the price and it was pretty much universal. 

27 minutes ago, MHS said:

Another vote for Westport Lake. 

Its also useful as if you have dogs, you won’t need to feed them. There’s enough goose poo around to satisfy the most hungry Labrador. 

Having moored there with a permanently hungry Labrador (is there another type?) I can absolutely confirm this.

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Or by the big lake (the name escapes me for the moment). Peaceful at night, good for a nice evening stroll, no issues other than a bit of goose wotsit. 

A bit !!!!!!!!!!! I must have moored there in the middle of an outbreak of goose dysentery. :blush: 

• Haha 1

And another vote for Westport lake! A spot no one has mentioned is around sideways farm/bridge if you want somewhere 'rural' just before Stoke. 

The canal through Stoke always feels pleasant for such a large and economically depressed city, much nicer than other urban stretches eg some of the BCN, Manchester and parts of the Paddington arm in London. I suppose it helps that the T&M is such a popular route, the locals are used to boats and leave them alone?

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh, that's interesting (more so for those who use more gas than me) - I thought that Calor set the price and it was pretty much universal. 

Many years ago Aynho Wharf use to sell gas a lot cheaper than anyone else, Calor were not happy and his reply to them was, well stop supplying me. As you can well imagine he shifted a lot of gas and Calor did nothing.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I managed to find several pubs walking from Westport Lake, and visit two, both in the Good Beer Guide.  But perhaps I'm a bit more determined than most.  :P

I imagine that the pubs (and shops) accessible from Westport are those you can walk to from the southern portal of Harecastle. Those are only a stroll.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Many years ago Aynho Wharf use to sell gas a lot cheaper than anyone else, Calor were not happy and his reply to them was, well stop supplying me. As you can well imagine he shifted a lot of gas and Calor did nothing.

Quick search on line shows Calor own price : £35.50

Lowest I found in two minutes was £25.00 but plenty not much above that.

Suggests that Calor keep clear of any suggestion of Resale Price Maintenance?

Just now, Mike Todd said:

Quick search on line shows Calor own price : £35.50

Lowest I found in two minutes was £25.00 but plenty not much above that.

Suggests that Calor keep clear of any suggestion of Resale Price Maintenance?

I did say Many years ago