Pootling along to see some Steam.

Featured Posts

On 14/04/2019 at 22:18, Sea Dog said:

Hasn't it just if, going by the date stamp on your photos, it started back in August 2017! :blink:

Well, time passes differently in the fens...

I'm afraid I have yet to find the menu option to turn off the stamps.

For Easter we set forth from Ely and made our way to the Wissey, overnighting in Hilgay after a five hour cruise. The following morning saw us continue on to Stoke Ferry via the massive marble run of Wissington sugar factory. The better half is convinced that the narrow channel belongs to the set of a Mad Max film, where overhanging gnarled trees grasp and claw after after you whilst you glide pass the towering mass of bridges, gantries, cranes and pipes.  Aside from Wissington the Wissey is very much the prettiest of the east anglian rivers in our view, with its narrow tree lined banks giving it the feel of a rural canal.  After Stoke ferry we returned to the Ouse and made our way to The Ship at Brandon Creek, the staccato bark of the Lister reverberating off the high banks as we opened it up on the long river drag. Dinner was a chicken and leek pie whilst watching the sun set, a very satisfying end to a seven hour day.

After a night moored adjacent the A10 we were eager to get away and cruised slowly down Brandon creek at a little over idle, threading our way through the long lines of moored boats. Eventually we crept past my favourite building in all the fens, a dilapidated clapboard farm house that I've been watching decay for the last few years. Grebe and swan nests were much in evidence before we moored up at Hockwold fen, our favourite overnighting spot. You can sit on the bank in the evening and gaze out across the rushes listening to the lapwings and geese. In the half light one could almost convince oneself that you had travelled back a hundred years. That is until a brace of fighters take off from nearby Lakenheath and scream their way into the north sky.

This morning we had a couple dozen heifers on the bank gazing through and licking the windows. We took the hint and cast off, slowly pottering back to Brandon Creek EA moorings where we sit now. We took advantage of the warm day to scrub and varnish her offside. This may have been a mistake, I'll have to go out shortly and peel off all the flies that have landed on the drying woodwork before the second coat...

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter,

Robert, Storm and SARA

DSCF0653.JPG

DSCF0663.JPG

DSCF0701.JPG

DSCF0706.JPG

DSCF0720.JPG

DSCF0724.JPG

DSCF0745.JPG

DSCF0754.JPG

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Robert B. said:

Well, time passes differently in the fens...

I'm afraid I have yet to find the menu option to turn off the stamps.

It does, doesn't it! :D

Surely Google knows how to correct the date or turn the stamp off on your camera?  Whatever, you look like you're enjoying the cruise and there's some lovely shots there Robert. Food for thought as we contemplate where we're going when we head East later this year. :)

I guess you’ve been to the drainage engine museum at Prickwillow but if you haven’t it’s a must. Also take a walk through the village to see several interesting looking modern houses. 

On 22/04/2019 at 07:57, starman said:

I guess you’ve been to the drainage engine museum at Prickwillow but if you haven’t it’s a must. Also take a walk through the village to see several interesting looking modern houses. 

Yes indeed, we are regulars at Prickwillow and often use the adjacent moorings. It's a convenient spot to take visitors on a relaxed afternoon jaunt with a picnic.

On 22/04/2019 at 08:07, 8 Hairy Feet said:

Your Sara is lovely.

She is isn't she. But Shush!! Don't go telling her, she's already a little full of herself.

What she really wants is to be a real boat and go to sea. Not sure I'm brave enough to cross the Wash in her though. She certainly wouldn't pass any modern stability assessments.

Our next outings will probably be around the Cambridgeshire lodes. I'm toying with the idea of Soham and Cottenham lodes, the former should be doable if there isn't too much weed, the latter might need reconnoitring in the kayak to see what the depths are. We won't be able to wind in either so it might mean hauling her out by hand... but it would add some scarcely used waterways to our list.