Sailaways with diesel/hybrid engine

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unfortunately SWMBO's accident on 8th March has put paid to riding this year.

She fell off a 3-step mounting block and totally snapped off her foot - just bones (Tib & Fib) sticking out of the bottom of her leg. I won't go into more detail or post the pics as they are sickening, but, surgeon thinks they have saved it and she will be able to weight bear on it in another 3 months or so,

That's this Summer cruising out of the window - cannot get the wheelchair aboard and not much point in doing so anyway.

I'm so sorry to hear this, how frustrating and painful for Mrs De Enfield, having had more than one horse/yard related injury I can empathise completely. Being a horse woman I'm quite sure she will want to do too much too soon, but this kind of injury really shouldn't be rushed. All the best to both of you and a do hope she recovers fully and quickly. 

Much love. :hug:

• Love 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

:o OUCH!!

Its a simple 'slip' that you could do any time and just get up and walk away.

Ouch - You'd have thought so but she simply shouted 'call the helicopter, I've broken my leg', Helicopter and land ambulance both arrived but she couldn't travel in the Heli - something to do with blood loss and change in air pressure.

The Ambulance Paramedics were not suitably qualified (or equipped) to administer the necessary drugs to kill the pain sufficiently to put the foot 'back on' and get the veins / artery flowing again.

Fortunately the Heli Doctor was licenced to dispense Ketamine - the measure of the correct dose (apparently) is to keep injecting 5cc and when the patient starts giving stupid answers that's enough. After 10 doses, her answer to the question "what day is it" was "I don't like blancmange" - that was deemed enough to pull the foot round and start to re-attach it.

There were 12 Doctors / Nurses in A&E resus sorting her out - but I did get a cup-of-tea.

Anyway - enough of thread hi-jack.

(Thanks for listening.) 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I'm so sorry to hear this, how frustrating and painful for Mrs De Enfield, having had more than one horse/yard related injury I can empathise completely. Being a horse woman I'm quite sure she will want to do too much too soon, but this kind of injury really shouldn't be rushed. All the best to both of you and a do hope she recovers fully and quickly. 

Much love. :hug:

My sister is a well known Senior Horse judge in the horsey world. She Judges all sorts but her fave is various ponies and Arabs whatever they are. She Judges big and small events in the UK and gets asked to and goes to various other countries doing it also. She has owned and ridden horse for fifty years but a few years ago had a scary tumble that shook her up ( she doesnt bounce anymore ) you know what I mean, so she no longer rides but still Judges and acts as buyer for some wealthy celebs. She also gives talks on various ailments to horsey vetty people and even though has no formal qualifications is well respected by many. I hate bloomin orses!! the brakes and steering are crap ?

As a long time motorcyclist, the first time my wife (then girlfriend) got me on a horse (why did they give me the biggest one?) I was 'lifted' on like they do, and couldn't understand why my foot would not reach the ground on the far side. Lifted on from one side and gracefully slid off the other trying to look like I meant to do it!!

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

:o Just looked on line at one of those twizzy jobbies!! Chocolate fireguards and Eco fans spring to mind!!

Oy I had one of those great wee beastie so much fun, ran it for a year and sold it for a good profit

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He is not a Shire, he is a Normady Cob (and not an overly large one either) being just 15:2HH

Have a 17HH Shire cross as well.

Am (normally) regularly towing two-up as SWMBOS fiend (spelling on purpose) has not passed her towing test (being old fogies, we got Grandfather rights)

She fell off a 3-step mounting block and totally snapped off her foot - just bones (Tib & Fib) sticking out of the bottom of her leg. I won't go into more detail or post the pics as they are sickening, but, surgeon thinks they have saved it and she will be able to weight bear on it in another 3 months or so,

That's this Summer cruising out of the window - cannot get the wheelchair aboard and not much point in doing so anyway.

Sorry to hear this. I wish your wife a speedy and full recovery. Must have been extremely painful.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

(Thanks for listening.) 

Crikey, she sounds like a properly brave lass... and certainly not a panicker!  Must've been pretty difficult for you to see her like that and to deal with it too. I hope she's making great progress and has a good recovery.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Crikey, she sounds like a properly brave lass... and certainly not a panicker!  Must've been pretty difficult for you to see her like that and to deal with it too. I hope she's making great progress and has a good recovery.

Ditto :)

• Love 1

On 17/04/2019 at 08:39, Naughty Cal said:

So the roads will be littered with even more caravans by the side of the road as their owners now run out of charge :rolleyes:

As much as you would like your dream to come true it is highly unlikely in any of our lifetimes.

The diesel engine is here to stay.

Nooo, surely some enterprising person will make trailer mounted long range batteries for journeys longer than a trip to the shops ?

20 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Me too, but many, many more will never do 200 miles - but they think they just might sometime, so sales of EVs are limited by a potentially false premises of insufficient range, I'd offer. Mind you  it's hard to charge your EV if you're unable to park by a charging point or outside your own home with complete reliability. It's a conundrum, innit?

Nah, just carry a little Honda genny around with you, just like boaters do ?

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sorry to hear that Alan. Hope she makes a full recovery.

If you both need a boating fix whilst she is wheelchair bound, try hiring from the Lyneal Trust.

https://www.lyneal-trust.org.uk

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But then they need a make a car and get homologation to allow it to tow said trailer.

If it allows affordable EV's with practical ranges, then I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Why you could even hire them out when people want to travel on a long journey. ?

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If it allows affordable EV's with practical ranges, then I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Why you could even hire them out when people want to travel on a long journey. ?

That's a very big 'if', given the battery pack in an electric car seems to cost about £10k.

I can't imagine the cost of a range-doubling battery trailer accessory coming in at much less than a further £15k, on top of the purchase of the car in the first place. 

56 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's a very big 'if', given the battery pack in an electric car seems to cost about £10k.

I can't imagine the cost of a range-doubling battery trailer accessory coming in at much less than a further £15k, on top of the purchase of the car in the first place. 

Hence my comment about hiring them.

On 17/04/2019 at 17:38, Alan de Enfield said:

Its a simple 'slip' that you could do any time and just get up and walk away.

Ouch - You'd have thought so but she simply shouted 'call the helicopter, I've broken my leg', Helicopter and land ambulance both arrived but she couldn't travel in the Heli - something to do with blood loss and change in air pressure.

The Ambulance Paramedics were not suitably qualified (or equipped) to administer the necessary drugs to kill the pain sufficiently to put the foot 'back on' and get the veins / artery flowing again.

Fortunately the Heli Doctor was licenced to dispense Ketamine - the measure of the correct dose (apparently) is to keep injecting 5cc and when the patient starts giving stupid answers that's enough. After 10 doses, her answer to the question "what day is it" was "I don't like blancmange" - that was deemed enough to pull the foot round and start to re-attach it.

There were 12 Doctors / Nurses in A&E resus sorting her out - but I did get a cup-of-tea.

Anyway - enough of thread hi-jack.

(Thanks for listening.) 

omg,

horrific, all hugs and kisses to both of you, I fell off so many horses, and hardly had any major problems.

I still keep my crutches in the hall cupboard, and am uber careful nowadays, but nothing like that.

Edited by LadyG
  • Love 1

On 17/04/2019 at 17:46, mrsmelly said:

My sister is a well known Senior Horse judge in the horsey world. She Judges all sorts but her fave is various ponies and Arabs whatever they are. She Judges big and small events in the UK and gets asked to and goes to various other countries doing it also. She has owned and ridden horse for fifty years but a few years ago had a scary tumble that shook her up ( she doesnt bounce anymore ) you know what I mean, so she no longer rides but still Judges and acts as buyer for some wealthy celebs. She also gives talks on various ailments to horsey vetty people and even though has no formal qualifications is well respected by many. I hate bloomin orses!! the brakes and steering are crap ?

oops, mixed up threads,  possible hypoglycaemia?

Edited by LadyG

17 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nissan leaf were doing batteries for the early leafs for just over 3K last year a bargain to say the least

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Talking to the farmer from the top of the field he mentioned his niece and her partner had an electric car and they hire the battery, he didnt mention the make, he was keener on showing me his new electric bike

Nissan and Renault do that

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Talking to the farmer from the top of the field he mentioned his niece and her partner had an electric car and they hire the battery, he didnt mention the make, he was keener on showing me his new electric bike

Nissan and Renault do that