New boats launched Vs new moorings created?

MtB

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, howardang said:

, but somewhere hidden away there must be a "Canals Full" number and it would certainly be interesting to know if CRT would publish it.

Howard

Having done a lot of work on this sort of thing, I'm sorry to disappoint,  but there isn't 

One problem is defining full, as it comes down to level of service rather than absolute capacity - even 85% of absolute capacity would probably be an unpl6user experience, so where should the line be drawn? 

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Having done a lot of work on this sort of thing, I'm sorry to disappoint,  but there isn't 

One problem is defining full, as it comes down to level of service rather than absolute capacity - even 85% of absolute capacity would probably be an unpl6user experience, so where should the line be drawn? 

Exactly...how can 'full' ever be defined? And in practice the canals wont fill up evenly...places like Braunston and Llangollen may be full before the Chesterfield or Huddersfield even register a slight increase in visiting boat numbers...

Even London is hardly full...long stretches of canal outside zone 1 desperately NEED more boats to stop them feeling like desolate no-go areas

Edited by Dave123

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The one thing that surprised me is how they did not rush headlong into charging by deck area as opposed to length long ago. Even now they are only pussy-footing about with it.  Currently and for the forseeable it is cheaper to live in a short wide boat than in a long thin one with the same space. This seems wrong to me. Should be the other way around given two narrow boats fit side by side in a lock so use less resource. 

I'd guess they were afraid of the retrospective aspect for those widebeam already paying the same as narrowboats. However, there's certainly no corresponding consideration given for lesser deck area if you turn up in a narrowboat at a "marine marina" or harbour as no doubt a few here will attest!

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

there's certainly no corresponding consideration given for lesser deck area if you turn up in a narrowboat at a "marine marina" or harbour as no doubt a few here will attest!

But there is a surcharge in 'marine marinas' (normally 30%) for widebeams (above 4.5 metres)

Example (BWML) :

Notes

There is a minimum charge of 6.4m that applies.

All Prices Inclusive of VAT at 20.0%

— For Hardstanding rates please contact your local marina office

— Widebeam surcharge may apply for craft over 3 metres beam inland and 4.5 metres beam coastal. Please contact individual marina for confirmation of prices.

On 14/04/2019 at 11:59, LadyG said:

Unlikely is, that Athy has skirted the Q ime

I think

it is unlikely

that Athy

has not answered the question posed by MtB

I might have  made up 'ime',  in my own urban dictionary, ime= in my [something beginning with E, which I have now  forgotten, weep].

I am sure it is not this codswallop 

Ime
A state of self-absorbtion or a self-absorbing person, usually of female persuasion; who cares, talks and writes about nothing else but herself. Usually starts conversations and emails with "I" and whose subjects solely revolve around the words "I" and "me". Thus, "I" + "me" = "Ime". 

I am not the only person to consider this is unsubstantiated perpetuation of the myth that I am blonde.

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think

it is unlikely

that Athy

has not answered the question posed by MtB

I might have  made up 'ime',  in my own urban dictionary, ime= in my [something beginning with E, which I have now  forgotten, weep].

I am sure it is not this codswallop 

Ime
A state of self-absorbtion or a self-absorbing person, usually of female persuasion; who cares, talks and writes about nothing else but herself. Usually starts conversations and emails with "I" and whose subjects solely revolve around the words "I" and "me". Thus, "I" + "me" = "Ime". 

I am not the only person to consider this is unsubstantiated perpetuation of the myth that I am blonde.

In

My

Experience

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But there is a surcharge in 'marine marinas' (normally 30%) for widebeams (above 4.5 metres)

Example (BWML) :

Notes

There is a minimum charge of 6.4m that applies.

All Prices Inclusive of VAT at 20.0%

— For Hardstanding rates please contact your local marina office

— Widebeam surcharge may apply for craft over 3 metres beam inland and 4.5 metres beam coastal. Please contact individual marina for confirmation of prices.

Yeah, ok, then... If you turn up in a narrowboat your disproportionately small deck area doesn't get you a reduction compared to anything the same length but double your width. You knew that though - you were just being naughty cos you've got two boats side by side. ;)

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Yeah, ok, then... If you turn up in a narrowboat your disproportionately small deck area doesn't get you a reduction compared to anything the same length but double your width. You knew that though - you were just being naughty cos you've got two boats side by side. ;)

Yer-but …………….

Even the 'mono-hull' cruiser  is charged excess in some marinas.

Some marinas limits are 3.5mts and we are 4.0 metres.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

One gets the impression this boat died 50 years ago, so hardly illustrates Magpie is wrong today...

Indeed it is well dead, but it was wooden.  A few metal bits survive, including the propeller and stern gear, now in Stoke Bruern Museum.

I don't know what happened to the boiler and engine (she never had a diesel).

If a steel boat can't be cut up where it is, the cost of a crane and low-loader could be more than the scrap value.  So, what do you do with old boats?

1 minute ago, Chris Williams said:

If a steel boat can't be cut up where it is, the cost of a crane and low-loader could be more than the scrap value.  So, what do you do with old boats?

Cut them up at the nearest marina which has a slipway. I've seen this being done.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Cut them up at the nearest marina which has a slipway.

If they will let you, and at a price.  Another reason for having a good vintage engine - you can flog it for a decent price.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Paint 'em white inside

I must be getting old - why white?

47 minutes ago, Athy said:

Cut them up at the nearest marina which has a slipway. I've seen this being done.

As I said earlier in the thread, I came across someone making a good side earner cutting them up. 

He cranes them out in a boatyard. 

Saw him one morning bow hauling a burnt out shell into the yard. A few hours later, when I went to buy gas and coal, the boat was on the bank in three pieces and he was angle grinding it into further small pieces to be taken away for scrap. 

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

As I said earlier in the thread, I came across someone making a good side earner cutting them up. 

He cranes them out in a boatyard. 

Saw him one morning bow hauling a burnt out shell into the yard. A few hours later, when I went to buy gas and coal, the boat was on the bank in three pieces and he was angle grinding it into further small pieces to be taken away for scrap. 

@Mike the Boilerman 

55 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

If they will let you, and at a price.  Another reason for having a good vintage engine - you can flog it for a decent price.

The suggestion is, peeps buy a cheap knacker from up north, slap a cheap coat of white emulsion over the interior, advertise it in London and "bright and airy interior " and sell for a massive mark up

57 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

It's the London whiteout school of tarting boats up.  No care for safety or quality, don't replace any tired bits, just paint the whole boat white inside and sell it to another London dweller.

Added: Crossposted with tree.