Free Boat moving offered

RosieP

Featured Posts

@RosieP Peter X of this forum offers a service such as you are considering.

Might be worth sending him a Private Message to see how he has overcome the issues raised in this thread.

@Peter X is also a member of the Narrowboat Trust which provides free trips on ex-working boats for its volunteers, which is another way of getting free trips on boats.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I'm only reflecting the negativity displayed in this thread.

Personally I'd prefer a society that was largely free of having to consider the likes of insurance implications, whether the law would consider someone you'd just met to be a friend or not, whether a kind offer to move someone's boat for nothing constitutes a business arrangement etc. Then two people could simply decide whether they trust each or not and if so, both could benefit from the kind offer. Known in modern parlance as win:win.

I do realise that things have moved on since the above thinking was the societal norm; I think society is poorer for this.   

I agree very much with your sentiments, but unfortunately we have to live in the real world. Maybe another word for "negativity" might be "caution"?

Howard

3 hours ago, howardang said:

I agree very much with your sentiments, but unfortunately we have to live in the real world. Maybe another word for "negativity" might be "caution"?

Howard

Or one could be cautious while having a positive attitude. 

On 14/04/2019 at 09:48, cuthound said:

@RosieP Peter X of this forum offers a service such as you are considering.

Might be worth sending him a Private Message to see how he has overcome the issues raised in this thread.

@Peter X is also a member of the Narrowboat Trust which provides free trips on ex-working boats for its volunteers, which is another way of getting free trips on boats.

I just got back from a boat trip (with the NBT) and saw this topic.

I'm a bit different to what the OP seems to be talking about, in that the various trips I've done through this forum have all been with the owner present on board, which is less likely to present any difficulty with insurers. Also of course, any boat owner is going to be much more relaxed about inviting a stranger aboard if they are present themselves to see that I know what I'm doing.

As far as I know, the insurance companies are generally happy so long as the owner is either around to supervise a trip, or has taken reasonable care to ensure that the person to whom they've lent their boat is competent to be the skipper. In the latter case, I think some kind of recommendation would be necessary, so I'd advise RosieP to at least do a few trips with the owners present first to establish a good reputation on the forum.

People often do need help moving a boat from A to B, especially if A and B are some way apart and they lack boating experience, or maybe know what they're doing but are no longer fit enough to cope well with the physical demands of doing the locks. I generally advise them that so long as their boat is fit to do the trip, they should get someone such as me to do it with them if they have the time for the journey, or if not they can hire a professional such as @matty40s who will charge for the service but is all set up to do it single handed.

There are various ways of getting free trips on boats by volunteering for charities (e.g. some of the canal restoration societies) who raise money by charging for passenger trips, but a lot of those just want crew for day trips. The NBT is a bit unusual in that you get to do longer trips, typically a week at a time. It isn't essential to be fit enough to pull the butty or to lift a 25kg coal bag but it helps! I think some other charities want volunteers for more than just day trips too.

Thank you Peter for your detailed advice. I see the logic in your suggestion that people would generally want to accompany a boat move or else pay a professional such as Matty who had lots of references. Incidentally Matty moved my boat when we were novices and did a brilliant job. I'll look up the NBT. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rosie,

Can you message me? I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a while now but I’m new to posting so cant see where to do it! I’ll have a  big boat move from the Llangollen to Nottingham to make soon and could do with some help (June time).

On 14/04/2019 at 01:31, David Mack said:

The OP 's post did strike me as saying "I'd like a free holiday on your boat."

Yes, in return for offering to move it to your destination of choice - quid pro quo, or didn't you see that bit of the OP's post?

On 08/05/2019 at 17:47, Lwaugh said:

Hi Rosie,

Can you message me? I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a while now but I’m new to posting so cant see where to do it! I’ll have a  big boat move from the Llangollen to Nottingham to make soon and could do with some help (June time).

I think access to the PM system only begins once you have contributed a few posts to the forum. Five I think. So post four more times (on any thread you like!) and then you'll be able to PM anyone. 

On 08/05/2019 at 17:47, Lwaugh said:

Hi Rosie,

Hi - I've messaged you

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Lingy said:

I am looking for a boat mover 

Shepley bridge marina wf14 9hr 

To springwood haven near nuneaton ? 

What kind of experience have you got?

Cheers

As others have mentioned in your other thread, the route involved in your move is very different from the OP's experience, which seems to involve the GU, Lee & Stort.

54 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Lingy,

I haven't been able to locate the other thread that Mac of Cygnet mentions, but I'm guessing your route for that trip would be as recommended by canalplan, i.e. 80.5 hours of boating via Huddersfield and Stoke and not involving rivers. Different to the GU but not necessarily much harder I would have thought? Longer tunnels, more locks but probably a lot less moored boats. Oh, and colder weather I expect.

Anyway, as I said or at least implied in my earlier post in this topic there are different levels of experience needed according to what you want from a boat mover. Although as far as Great Haywood I would be on canals I haven't done before, I think I'd be competent to do that trip and I'll put myself forward for it if you (or some other owner of the boat) will be along too, subject to availability.

When do you intend to go and at what sort of pace? I have about 4 weeks free starting this Monday 24th and within that could fit in with your timetable. 

Well done Peter!

58 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Lingy,

I haven't been able to locate the other thread that Mac of Cygnet mentions, but I'm guessing your route for that trip would be as recommended by canalplan, i.e. 80.5 hours of boating via Huddersfield and Stoke and not involving rivers. Different to the GU but not necessarily much harder I would have thought? Longer tunnels, more locks but probably a lot less moored boats. Oh, and colder weather I expect.

Anyway, as I said or at least implied in my earlier post in this topic there are different levels of experience needed according to what you want from a boat mover. Although as far as Great Haywood I would be on canals I haven't done before, I think I'd be competent to do that trip and I'll put myself forward for it if you (or some other owner of the boat) will be along too, subject to availability.

When do you intend to go and at what sort of pace? I have about 4 weeks free starting this Monday 24th and within that could fit in with your timetable. 

Send me some details please Pete.I can do it to suit you ?

Thank you 

• 1 year later...