Free Boat moving offered

RosieP

Featured Posts

I'm keen to hear from anyone who needs their boat moving from A to B. I lived on a narrow boat between 2013 and 2017 and now on land but really miss boating and would love a week or so aboard. I thought there must be plenty of people who need their boat moving and can't do it themselves for whatever reason. I'm very experienced at handling and manoeuvring boats. Free service. I have limited holiday from work so am not very flexible on dates but happy to discuss your needs. Rosie.

• Greenie 1

You may well find people who would benefit as much from your service as you will enjoy providing it, good luck.

I assume that you have insurance for driving other people's boats? Or would you require the owners to arrange that?

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

You may well find people who would benefit as much from your service as you will enjoy providing it, good luck.

I assume that you have insurance for driving other people's boats? Or would you require the owners to arrange that?

The owner's insurance would normally cover that, given it is not a business transaction. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, RosieP said:

I'm keen to hear from anyone who needs their boat moving from A to B. I lived on a narrow boat between 2013 and 2017 and now on land but really miss boating and would love a week or so aboard. I thought there must be plenty of people who need their boat moving and can't do it themselves for whatever reason. I'm very experienced at handling and manoeuvring boats. Free service. I have limited holiday from work so am not very flexible on dates but happy to discuss your needs. Rosie.

Would this not be better in the crew swap section, if at a later date someone is looking for somebody to help move their boat I doubt they would think to look here. 

Perhaps you could just repost it or ask for this thread to be moved across. :)

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

I wonder sometimes what the reaction would be if someone phoned out of the blue and said "I see your car seems to stand on the drive without moving all week. Let me take it for a run because I love driving and I won't charge anything." With all due respect to RosieP I would need lots of references from people I can rely on, and agreement from my insurance company, before trusting my boat to a total stranger. 

Howard

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, howardang said:

I wonder sometimes what the reaction would be if someone phoned out of the blue and said "I see your car seems to stand on the drive without moving all week. Let me take it for a run because I love driving and I won't charge anything." With all due respect to RosieP I would need lots of references from people I can rely on, and agreement from my insurance company, before trusting my boat to a total stranger. 

Howard

The OP 's post did strike me as saying "I'd like a free holiday on your boat."

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

But a working holiday.

I mean no offence to the OP but ... entrusting your boat worth ??? thousands of pounds  to a total stranger? No idea of capabilities, experience, sense of responsibility etc? Not for me, but each to his/her own. I still maintain that if someone knocked at your door, or cold called on the phone, and suggested this service, the response would be very sceptical. I hope you you would be, at the very  least, cautious.

Howard

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

I mean no offence to the OP but ... entrusting your boat worth ??? thousands of pounds  to a total stranger? No idea of capabilities, experience, sense of responsibility etc? Not for me, but each to his/her own. I still maintain that if someone knocked at your door, or cold called on the phone, and suggested this service, the response would be very sceptical. I hope you you would be, at the very  least, cautious.

Howard

But people DO sometimes want their boats moving. We have used such a service twice.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

But people DO sometimes want their boats moving. We have used such a service twice.

Of course they do, don't think even I am stupid enough not to know that.  I have moved other peoples boats on occasion myself, but for people I know, and more to the point, for people who know me, my capabilities, experience etc. This was a first post from a new  poster to a forum. I have been a member of this forum for many years and I wouldn't dream of suggesting a similar service or accepting it from another member. In reality we know very little about the greatest majority of our fellow members, and even less about new contributors. Some people can express views on every subject under the sun, and at the drop of a hat,  and in my view most of it is waffle with the ocasional  useful bit of information hidden among the chaff. Just because we share a common interest does't mean we are all the same and although our variety of personality and experience is good we should exercise some caution at times, and entrusting your boat  to a stranger is, in my view one of them. Although we all think we are experts in boating and boating expertise, i think the reality is slightly different. 

Howard

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The owner's insurance would normally cover that, given it is not a business transaction. 

It might considered as a business transaction as the boat mover is getting a "Holiday" as payment.

Just now, Laurie.Booth said:

It might considered as a business transaction as the boat mover is getting a "Holiday" as payment.

Same would apply to lending your boat to friends for a few days, and most insurance policies permit that. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think defining the difference between someone not the owner who is a friend and someone else who is not a friend but both having owner permission to use the boat would present quite a legal challenge.

Very true.

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts everyone. I didn't really consider recommendations and a boat cv but that's a good idea (I've done all of the grand union and all of the Lee and stort). I suppose I didn't consider the more cynical interpretations of my offer, which was genuinely meant in good faith. My intention was that if anyone was remotely interested they could just get in touch and discuss the details with me over the phone including my experience, insurance perhaps what would happen in the event of damages etc. And if anyone felt this a too risky proposition they could just not take me up on it and pay someone instead. In response to those that suggested I just want a free Holiday, I suppose I do, doing something I enjoy which might also be beneficial to someone else who needs their boat moving. I don't really see the problem of offering this, since it is only an offer and this might suit some people given the wide range of circumstances of boaters.  I've moved this thread to the crew swop section.

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, RosieP said:

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts everyone. I didn't really consider recommendations and a boat cv but that's a good idea (I've done all of the grand union and all of the Lee and stort). I suppose I didn't consider the more cynical interpretations of my offer, which was genuinely meant in good faith. My intention was that if anyone was remotely interested they could just get in touch and discuss the details with me over the phone including my experience, insurance perhaps what would happen in the event of damages etc. And if anyone felt this a too risky proposition they could just not take me up on it and pay someone instead. In response to those that suggested I just want a free Holiday, I suppose I do, doing something I enjoy which might also be beneficial to someone else who needs their boat moving. I don't really see the problem of offering this, since it is only an offer and this might suit some people given the wide range of circumstances of boaters.  I've moved this thread to the crew swop section.

Good luck to you. Unfortunately society has become so obsessed with fault and blame under the burgeoning compensation culture that kind offers like yours are largely, most unfortunately, redundant.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Good luck to you. Unfortunately society has become so obsessed with fault and blame under the burgeoning compensation culture that kind offers like yours are largely, most unfortunately, redundant.

Rosie, don't worry about TWC's miserable and negative attitude. Lots of people here are not obsessed with fault and blame, but those who are tend to be very vocal in claiming everyone is. 

;) 

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, RosieP said:

I don't really see the problem of offering this, since it is only an offer...

Neither do I. Clearly there are hurdles, but those who find these insurmountable don't have to take you up.  That said, you at least now have a clearer view of the pitfalls, so even the most negative of responses are, I hope, useful to you. :)

I'm only reflecting the negativity displayed in this thread.

Personally I'd prefer a society that was largely free of having to consider the likes of insurance implications, whether the law would consider someone you'd just met to be a friend or not, whether a kind offer to move someone's boat for nothing constitutes a business arrangement etc. Then two people could simply decide whether they trust each or not and if so, both could benefit from the kind offer. Known in modern parlance as win:win.

I do realise that things have moved on since the above thinking was the societal norm; I think society is poorer for this.   

• Greenie 3