Hurleston

dor

Featured Posts

" The locky reckoned that being 3ft short of the 70 made it a lot easier. "

Allan, do you know why? We are going up through Hurleston in a couple of weeks time to meet up with some friends who are hiring a boat at Bettisfield. Therefore am keeping a careful eye on this thread!

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

And we got down again with no problems today, though it was clearly a bit tight at one point. For info we are 67ft long by 6ft 10.5in wide but probably 6ft 11.5in wide at the anodes which are one third and two thirds of the way down the sides. The locky reckoned that being 3ft short of the 70 made it a lot easier.

Sorry.  Wrong thread.

Edited by furnessvale

2 hours ago, Derek Porteous said:

" The locky reckoned that being 3ft short of the 70 made it a lot easier. "

Allan, do you know why? We are going up through Hurleston in a couple of weeks time to meet up with some friends who are hiring a boat at Bettisfield. Therefore am keeping a careful eye on this thread!

Basically he said it curves inwards at the bottom end so keeping close to the cill avoids the pinch point.

We have just come up this lock. The mAsonry is loose and bulging on one side at the down hill end.

The lockies ate very cautious. They Re  particularly worried about banana shaped boats. There is the possibility of going up and not being able to get back down without reversing a mile and a half from Burland winding hole.

• 8 months later...
1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Judging by the video, they must have brought in Chinese hospital building contractors.

No, they’re not wearing face masks!

My daughter has a good uni friend who lives in Wuhan and is having to stay inside. Our thoughts go out to everyone affected. 

Thanks for the pics @TheBiscuits. It does demonstrate that widening a lock isn’t necessarily a simple task. It stands to reason that to move the walls further apart and effect a permanent solution it is necessary to excavate the material behind one of them.

While I understand the frustrations of the boaters whose boats have been restricted, in the overall scheme of things CRT’s actions seem pretty reasonable.

JP

On 01/02/2020 at 10:44, Mac of Cygnet said:

Judging by the video, they must have brought in Chinese hospital building contractors.

They should get them Chinese hospital builders in to build HS2. They'd have it done by next weekend for under £1m. 

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

Given the cost of rebuilding, perhaps CRT should increase the licence fees of those boats with a beam in excess of 6' 10" to fund it?

(Now where is that tongue in cheek emoji when you need it? ??)

As long as those over 2' 8" draught get a discount for saving them dredging costs! ?

• 1 month later...
On 02/02/2020 at 15:54, Mike the Boilerman said:

They should get them Chinese hospital builders in to build HS2. They'd have it done by next weekend for under £1m. 

I'd get HS2 built for a price that would undercut the Chinese. Just build the station booking halls and waiting rooms, then run a rail replacement bus service in between them. As regular train travellers know, it'll come to the same thing in the end and my way saves the cost and disruption of actually building the tracks.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'd get HS2 built for a price that would undercut the Chinese. Just build the station booking halls and waiting rooms, then run a rail replacement bus service in between them. As regular train travellers know, it'll come to the same thing in the end and my way saves the cost and disruption of actually building the tracks.

Jen

You might be on to something here.

Speed limit of 200mph on the M40 and a £200 toll for using it ...