Hurleston

dor

Featured Posts

There could be trouble ahead.....

CRT are restricting passage through lock 4.  

Friday 15 March 2019 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction 
Reason: Information

Update on 12/04/2019:

Following advice from our engineers, who have been monitoring Lock 4, Hurleston Locks, we want to ensure continued passage of boats through this lock and the safety of our customers.

From Monday 15 April, the lock flight between locks 1 and 4 will only be open between the hours of 08:00 until 17:00 when our trained team will be available to assist.

Outside of these hours, the lock flight will be closed to boats.

Thank you for your assistance during this period.

People currently standing around scratching heads.

Building up nicely now - I wonder if we will beat last years record of 11 canals closed in the same week (mid July 2018) :

Four breaches :

Middlewich branch on the Shropshire Union Canal
Macclesfield Canal
Wyrley and Essington Canal
Leeds & Liverpool Canal (Leigh to Liverpool section)

Three with damaged locks:

Peak Forest Canal
Trent & Mersey Canal
Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Three with no water:

Leeds & Liverpool canal (Wigan to Leeds section, to be locked during August)
Rochdale Canal (closed at Tuel Lock intermittently)
Glasson Branch on the Lancaster Canal

One with a broken pump:

Grand Union Canal

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Building up nicely now - I wonder if we will beat last years record of 11 canals closed in the same week (mid July 2018) :

Four breaches :

Middlewich branch on the Shropshire Union Canal
Macclesfield Canal
Wyrley and Essington Canal
Leeds & Liverpool Canal (Leigh to Liverpool section)

Three with damaged locks:

Peak Forest Canal
Trent & Mersey Canal
Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Three with no water:

Leeds & Liverpool canal (Wigan to Leeds section, to be locked during August)
Rochdale Canal (closed at Tuel Lock intermittently)
Glasson Branch on the Lancaster Canal

One with a broken pump:

Grand Union Canal

Don't worry, the grass will be cut

From C&RT's last annual report 2017/18 -

Notwithstanding our rising core expenditure and our improving application of the principles of long term asset management as our asset strategy evolves, the considerable age of our infrastructure, much over two centuries old, means that we do suffer significant asset failures that require immediate intervention. Lock 15 on the Peak Forest Canal’s Marple flight had to be closed in September 2017 after a lock wall was found to have moved such that the lock had become un-usable. This was a significant factor in us missing our target on unplanned closures in the year, (with 490 days lost against the target of 400, though this remains a significant improvement since the Trust was created).' 

My analysis of the same period using the stoppage database found 2482 lost days. The difference is because C&RT do not include emergency stoppages less than two days or anything which they deem to be beyond their control.

Regarding the 'significant improvement since the Trust was created', the information on the stoppage database is incomplete in that records over a few years old are deleted. However, the information available suggests the opposite of what is claimed. Going back over C&RT's annual reports suggests that it changes how it records 'days lost' year on year in order to reduce the figures.

I understand that C&RT has already admitted the it failed to meet its target for 2018/19 but have yet to see figures. The Middlewich breach will be excluded despite C&RT admitting that it failed to carry out recommendations from an inspection in 2010 which might have averted the breach.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

• 1 month later...

Had a natter with a locky about lock 4 last night.

Its reckoned to be getting worse by the day, bulges in the walls and more boats getting stuck part way up or down.

Not helped by RCR uprooting the edge stones when they got the last well jammed boat out, any more news about this?

I got through on Monday with millimetres to spare.  My boat was gauged at 6' 11" by the surveyor that oversaw the build, but I don't know at which point.  The bulges are at different points depending on the depth.  My 57' was ok by keeping close to the top gates.  Going up the previous week a boat was stuck at 8am - took over two hours to get it out. We arrived about ten and had to join the queue for 2 1/2 hours. Turned out the boat had been overplated and some of the plating was wider than the rubbing strips.  Nothing like a bit of optimism!

I came down the locks last week and by the gap i had between the hull and the boat, i won't be going back up this year.

The locky had full concentration on the sides of all boats , he said we wont be doing this for much longer!

We will do our best, but we dont want someone stuck in all winter do we!

Nipper

You could try some of the things Tom Rolt did to get his boat up the Llangollen in the late '40's. Plane off the high points of the wooden hull, grease the rubbing strakes, rig up a block and tackle. Drive in to the lock at full speed and hope! This was at Grindley Brook, rather than Hurleston. The only changes would be to substitute an angry grinder for the wood plane and maybe a tirfor for the block and tackle.

Jen

See the third part of The Clouded Mirror.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would a happy-grinder still work, (I don't have an angry one).

Got to be angry. A happy grinder won't take your fingers off if you lose concentration for a moment.

Think this:

(2)_Pit_Bull_buckskin_named_Perla.jpg

Rather than this:

Black_Labrador_Retriever_portrait.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I believe the owner of narrowboat bootes cut the guards off to get through hurleston. That option was not open to us in 1986 when we got her seriously stuck on the stratford canal.

to get her back off the stratford involved a landrover a turfer winch  a chain winch and the careful use of lock gates and beams as levers .Bwb as they were in those days took one look and left us to it.

the bottom of the boat had to be replaced a year later...

On 23/05/2019 at 00:57, dor said:

I got through on Monday with millimetres to spare.  My boat was gauged at 6' 11" by the surveyor that oversaw the build, but I don't know at which point.  The bulges are at different points depending on the depth.  My 57' was ok by keeping close to the top gates.  Going up the previous week a boat was stuck at 8am - took over two hours to get it out. We arrived about ten and had to join the queue for 2 1/2 hours. Turned out the boat had been overplated and some of the plating was wider than the rubbing strips.  Nothing like a bit of optimism!

It would surely need to be overplated three or four times for the  hull to be wider than the rubbing strips? Is it possible to do this?

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

It would surely need to be overplated three or four times for the  hull to be wider than the rubbing strips? Is it possible to do this?

Some older boat rubbing strips are not D bar, they are made of flat steel bar, approx 2" wide.

We came up on Monday with no problems but nothing to spare, hope we'll get back down on on Tuesday morning. Our overplating didn't add to our width but we do have 2 extra very thin anodes down each side which are a bit of a worry if they happen to be in the wrong place.

And we got down again with no problems today, though it was clearly a bit tight at one point. For info we are 67ft long by 6ft 10.5in wide but probably 6ft 11.5in wide at the anodes which are one third and two thirds of the way down the sides. The locky reckoned that being 3ft short of the 70 made it a lot easier.