Lister JP2 for sale

MANNCANALBOATPAINTERS

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, martyn 1 said:

But as I said earlier with a big prybar and a clock gauge you can normally very quickly tell if this is the case in situ and in one piece.

Ah right, now we get to it. 

I hold that few 'ordinary boaters' have a dial test indicator to hand to carry out this check periodically, or know how to use one. But if I had a JP2 (or was planning to buy one) I would get one along with a big bar now you have suggested it. They are not expensive. Thank you for the suggestion.

What sort of movement on lifting the flywheel would be acceptable without being in snappy snappy territory please? Zero I guess would be good, but even 2 or 3 thou is risky I would imagine? 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit

40 minutes ago, martyn 1 said:

You would think so, but as a JP oil pump is sized for the largest in the range when were talking about the smallest then the pump has alot more capacity than the engine needs. It can maintain half reasonable oil pressure (if you can call 15-20psi reasonable..) on a JP2 long after your in the realms that the main bearing wear is well outside Lister's tolerances and well into the realms of snappy snappy crank.

But as I said earlier with a big prybar and a clock gauge you can normally very quickly tell if this is the case in situ and in one piece.

On the other hand, low pressure is a good sign of neglect (even if it is only a knackered valve in the pressure regulator)

Richard

On 08/05/2019 at 09:24, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah right, now we get to it. 

I hold that few 'ordinary boaters' have a dial test indicator to hand to carry out this check periodically, or know how to use one. But if I had a JP2 (or was planning to buy one) I would get one along with a big bar now you have suggested it. They are not expensive. Thank you for the suggestion.

What sort of movement on lifting the flywheel would be acceptable without being in snappy snappy territory please? Zero I guess would be good, but even 2 or 3 thou is risky I would imagine? 

Well end float is the easiest and most accurate to measure with the engine in one piece, . pry flywheel fully one way on the endfloat, setup and zero your clock onto a flywheel face, preferable onto the end of the crank itself. endfloat should be within 0.00275 and 0.00650" at new/overhauled. Max tolerance stated is 0.012".

now lift (bearing clearance) is a bit more subjective because you cant physically measure the bearing and crank diameters. but in short if you can feel lift when you use the prybar its too much.  clearance new should be 0.004 to 0.0055", max tolerance is 0.0075".

Obviously the tolerances will be different but this applies to any engine as a quick tell as to the bottom end condition.

• Greenie 1

On 05/05/2019 at 19:52, pete harrison said:

And another in this boat that could be worth a look, remove and flog the boat on:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/les-allen-70-traditional/603920

This boat was local to us until a year ago when we relocated, i do know that it has hardly moved for close to 20 years and i don't believe the engine was used for charging so may be less hours on it for the age. Les Allen hulls do seem quite good regards corrosion, so might make a decent boat for someone. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/05/2019 at 08:16, BWM said:

This boat was local to us until a year ago when we relocated, i do know that it has hardly moved for close to 20 years and i don't believe the engine was used for charging so may be less hours on it for the age. Les Allen hulls do seem quite good regards corrosion, so might make a decent boat for someone.

Funny looking Les Allen hull to my eye..... is it really Les Allen?

603920_2.jpg?1556744594

603920_1.jpg?1556744594

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Doesn't it have a fibreglass superstructure? Or maybe it's wood either way I don't think it's all steel. 

I'm too tired to go look myself. 

Edited by Tumshie

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Doesn't it have a fibreglass superstructure?

I'm too tired to go look myself. 

It's a woodentop!

It must be a very early Les Allen if it is one at all. 49 years old after all. The structural joinery inside looks to be a very high standard, but the hull shape looks pretty crass to me. Maybe it was his first attempt at building a steel boat!

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's a woodentop!

It must be a very early Les Allen if it is one at all. 49 years old after all. The structural joinery inside looks to be a very high standard, but the hull shape looks pretty crass to me. Maybe it was his first attempt at building a steel boat!

What are those "things" on the roof?  Thought I knew a little bit about boats but can't fathom those.  

15 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

What are those "things" on the roof?  Thought I knew a little bit about boats but can't fathom those.  

Lol I know what they are, and you do too really!

Clue:

Woodentop, leaky roof, repair in progress....

Or do you mean those little round things like tuna tins?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol I know what they are, and you do too really!

Clue:

Woodentop, leaky roof, repair in progress....

Or do you mean those little round things like tuna tins?

Fairly regular "blocks"?  As soon as I try enlarging the image I lose resolution.  Nope, have to give in.....

Just now, NB Esk said:

Fairly regular "blocks"?  As soon as I try enlarging the image I lose resolution.  Nope, have to give in.....

Ah no, I thought you meant the three rolls of roofing felt....

The row of tuna tins are air vents I reckon, given the absence of mushrooms.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Regular blocks along the edge of a roof of a wooden top under restoration

On a boat that currently has no handrail...

Richard

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Regular blocks along the edge of a roof of a wooden top under restoration

On a boat that currently has no handrail...

Richard

Ah, okay, so temporary handholds? Got it.

The more I look at it, that could be an early Les Allen, not keen on those raised bow and stern coamings but has the makings of a nice boat.

1 minute ago, NB Esk said:

Ah, okay, so temporary handholds? Got it.

The more I look at it, that could be an early Les Allen, not keen on those raised bow and stern coamings but has the makings of a nice boat.

I think they are the blocks the handrail will be screwed to to raise it off the roof

Richard

Just now, RLWP said:

I think they are the blocks the handrail will be screwed to to raise it off the roof

Richard

Lol, when I woke up this morning my first thoughts were "you're going to be particularly thick today" glad I was right about something......

Just now, NB Esk said:

Lol, when I woke up this morning my first thoughts were "you're going to be particularly thick today" glad I was right about something......

I could be wrong

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Richard

If you are wrong, you have company. 

Once I realised John was on about the blocks I thought handrail supports too.

I was surprised he didn't know what a mug was for ...

36 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you are wrong, you have company. 

Once I realised John was on about the blocks I thought handrail supports too.

I was surprised he didn't know what a mug was for ...

? It's just I don't automatically think "handrails" when they're so far from the cabin sides.  Mine are right at the edge and you could keep hold of them, to stop from taking an early bath.  When so far in I always think "don't forget to let go" to avoid a broken arm/wrist.

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

603920_2.jpg?1556744594

603920_1.jpg?1556744594

I don't know if it is a Les Allen, just quoted the listing. 

It did have weird castellations along the handrail area, not sure why...