Lister JP2 for sale

MANNCANALBOATPAINTERS

Featured Posts

I’ve just purchased a Narrowboat, the previous owner has started to install a lister jp2 before he sadly passed away, it’s not very suitable for this boat , and I’m looking to sell the boat yard where I’m at said it’s been running not sure of history.

https://ibb.co

E6D675C4-E8A8-42F7-B81B-4B2F9C380241.jpeg

EB4F97DB-63C3-4FB8-9985-7739C78A383B.jpeg

DE03829A-F684-43B3-8FA3-B8C40890E293.jpeg

96B63253-C947-4C3B-BB79-E1571F0ECE3D.jpeg

D8334E43-9F5A-4108-8D1D-33CB8AF9EC26.jpeg

54BF9F93-5593-4389-81C2-33B7003379D0.jpeg

C3BE7173-7580-4F70-8481-FC790A42EC9F.jpeg

E83B4C4F-EF41-4A38-B7E7-A24536A8FCDF.jpeg

7A298E1E-564C-4F62-8AB0-E77910ED49CD.jpeg

Edited by MANNCANALBOATPAINTERS

6 hours ago, MANNCANALBOATPAINTERS said:

I’ve just purchased a Narrowboat, the previous owner has started to install a lister jp2 before he sadly passed away, it’s not very suitable for this boat

How can a JP2 be anything other than imminently suitable for a narrow boat?!!!

Granted the chap has put it in the wrong place, but even so...

20 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

And if it's not running you could be looking at more than another 5k to rebuild it!

Yes I'd have thought a JP2 not installed to the point of running it to demonstrate is one hulluva gamble. Would be well worth getting it running and putting a video up of it starting to add perhaps several £k to the value. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did you sell this? As it happens they seem to be like buses - none for ages then two come along at once.

I heard the other day of another one for sale, a JP2M in good running order. Staffordshire area, currently still in a boat. And no it isn't mine! 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you sell this? As it happens they seem to be like buses - none for ages then two come along at once.

I heard the other day of another one for sale, a JP2M in good running order. Staffordshire area, currently still in a boat. And no it isn't mine! 

And another in this boat that could be worth a look, remove and flog the boat on:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/les-allen-70-traditional/603920

41 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Barn find"? How on earth can you find a narrowboat in a barn?

It's become seller-speak for "neglected for years and knackered, but i'm a bit of a chancer and looking for someone with more cash than sense"

see also, "super rare" or "mega rare" ;)

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

It's become seller-speak for "neglected for years and knackered, but i'm a bit of a chancer and looking for someone with more cash than sense"

see also, "super rare" or "mega rare" ;)

Ah, fair enough.

As a record dealer I'm well used to those last two - often applied to records which sold 100,000 copies, but a long time ago.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah, fair enough.

As a record dealer I'm well used to those last two - often applied to records which sold 100,000 copies, but a long time ago.

same applies to old band t-shirts, always some chancer trying to palm-off a recent reprint from ASDA as a legit 80's concert-bought shirt

JP2M in non running condition no more than £3k tops and idustrial around the £1.5k mark tops. Having personally seen enough "runners" even if it did run I would be wary without a autopsy on it before fitting it to a boat. I have had alot come through the workshop that start and run but are w"£ked when stripped down. And to do a rebuild on one properly they are not cheap.

A few things can be checked on one that is not dismantled to give a hint of if its ok or not. amount of compression, endfloat on crank and lift on crank. the later two are normally a good indication of if it will need work.

4 minutes ago, martyn 1 said:

JP2M in non running condition no more than £3k tops and idustrial around the £1.5k mark tops. Having personally seen enough "runners" even if it did run I would be wary without a autopsy on it before fitting it to a boat. I have had alot come through the workshop that start and run but are w"£ked when stripped down. And to do a rebuild on one properly they are not cheap.

A few things can be checked on one that is not dismantled to give a hint of if its ok or not. amount of compression, endfloat on crank and lift on crank. the later two are normally a good indication of if it will need work.

It takes a lot to stop an old Lister running 

Richard 

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

It takes a lot to stop an old Lister running 

Richard 

Very true, but with a JP2 not having a centre main bearing, if they have worn out bearings then a snapped crank finishes them off pretty quickly and unfortunatly its more common than you might think. 95% of the time it can also be put down to knackered bearings, so had the wear been dealt with when needed it wouldn't of been an issue, regrind, bearings and good for another 50 odd years..

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, martyn 1 said:

Very true, but with a JP2 not having a centre main bearing, if they have worn out bearings then a snapped crank finishes them off pretty quickly and unfortunatly its more common than you might think. 95% of the time it can also be put down to knackered bearings, so had the wear been dealt with when needed it wouldn't of been an issue, regrind, bearings and good for another 50 odd years..

Martyn, is there any way an ordinary boater like me would know if theIr JP2 had knackered bearings that needed to be ‘dealt with’ as you put it? Many thanks... 

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Martyn, is there any way an ordinary boater like me would know if theIr JP2 had knackered bearings that needed to be ‘dealt with’ as you put it? Many thanks... 

Yeah, the crank will be broken... ? 

Just now, cuthound said:

Yeah, the crank will be broken... ? 

So peeps should get their JP2 main bearings reground just before the crank breaks? 

This seems a good policy.  Thanks!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So peeps should get their JP2 main bearings reground just before the crank breaks? 

This seems a good policy.  Thanks!

Oil pressure is usually a good start

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As Martyn said, end float and detectable lift on the crankshaft. Any end float above a few thou is generally a pretty good indicator of a developing problem. 

• Greenie 2

Barnfind is of course a major selling point in the automotive world......................in the old diesel engine world,we have "scrapyard find",and value is easily arrived at..........put er over the bridge............weighbridge ,that is.

15 hours ago, RLWP said:

Oil pressure is usually a good start

You would think so, but as a JP oil pump is sized for the largest in the range when were talking about the smallest then the pump has alot more capacity than the engine needs. It can maintain half reasonable oil pressure (if you can call 15-20psi reasonable..) on a JP2 long after your in the realms that the main bearing wear is well outside Lister's tolerances and well into the realms of snappy snappy crank.

But as I said earlier with a big prybar and a clock gauge you can normally very quickly tell if this is the case in situ and in one piece.

• Greenie 1