mykaskin

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, mykaskin said:

Hi everybody,

I've released a little video flying around the so called Brinklow Arches - an embankment and river crossing at Brinklow on the North Oxford Canal. Enjoy:

You Tube Clicky Thing

Cheers,

Myk

I must admit that I would have taken Brinklow Arches to mean Smeaton Lane aqueduct. I know better now.

Do you know if the existing arch is a surviving part of the original canal construction or whether it's a new or rebuilt feature and are the other arches obscured or infilled?

JP

33 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

The arch is part of bunch built to carry the shortened route when the main line was straightened.

The others are still there, but well hidden.

Clicky

That link - supported by the comments that accompany the video - suggest they were a feature of the original line that were modified during the straightening.

JP

The original line curved under the iron bridge you can see at the beginning of the video.

Later near the end of the video you get another chance to see it and can trace the original route across the fields to the village of Brinklow.

It crossed the village, curved back and re-joined alongside the shop at Rose Narrowboats, where upon it continued up the arm where Brinklow Boats now are.

The modification cut that loop (as well as many others from Sutton Stop to Hillmorton … further?) and crossedthe valley on the multi arched aqueduct 

19 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

The modification cut that loop (as well as many others from Sutton Stop to Hillmorton … further?) 

There's more straightenings  from Hillmorton to Braunston. We traced some of the old course on winter walks from Dunchurch Pools marina. Plus the massive rebuild of at Braunston that created Braunston turn and the puddle banks, of course.

MP.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

The original line curved under the iron bridge you can see at the beginning of the video.

Later near the end of the video you get another chance to see it and can trace the original route across the fields to the village of Brinklow.

It crossed the village, curved back and re-joined alongside the shop at Rose Narrowboats, where upon it continued up the arm where Brinklow Boats now are.

The modification cut that loop (as well as many others from Sutton Stop to Hillmorton … further?) and crossedthe valley on the multi arched aqueduct 

I found a previous thread in which Heartland answers my question. Both original and new courses were coincident at the arches.