Window frame sealant - recommendations?

Featured Posts

One of our channel glaze windows has been quietly leaking for a while, leaving some rotten wood to repair. Looks like the sealant between frame and hull has failed. I'll be taking the window out (assuming the screws release) and refitting it when weather and time permit. What's the recommended sealant? I'm thinking of Sikaflex EBT+ .

Martin/

22 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

One of our channel glaze windows has been quietly leaking for a while, leaving some rotten wood to repair. Looks like the sealant between frame and hull has failed. I'll be taking the window out (assuming the screws release) and refitting it when weather and time permit. What's the recommended sealant? I'm thinking of Sikaflex EBT+ .

Martin/

I always now use the squashy tape stuff with my c glaze units. I could never get a seal with any of the gunks such as sikaflex. I have no leaks whatsoever now but did remove and replace all eight million windows to achieve this.

10 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

What squashy tape stuff would that be then? It sounds promising...

I new you would ask me that. I got it from my mate who has a large hire fleet so I dont know the name. Someone else on here probably will. It comes in big reels that is sticky on one side. I can take a foto of it for you if someone else doesnt come up with the name ?

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I new you would ask me that. I got it from my mate who has a large hire fleet so I dont know the name. Someone else on here probably will. It comes in big reels that is sticky on one side. I can take a foto of it for you if someone else doesnt come up with the name ?

Ta! I await with bated breath the input of another expert. Don't bother photoing it, a picture of a piece of tape doesn't sound very exciting (unless it has the name of the product on the side, in which case a photo may not be necessary)!!

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This kind of stuff?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-extra-thick-weatherstrip-black-3-5m-2-pack/40425

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Are you convinced that is closed cell construction?

Not all is, and if it isn't it will not work.

I think this is possibly just a weather / draft seal, rather than a full water seal, but I may be wrong.

35 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Are you convinced that is closed cell construction?

Not all is, and if it isn't it will not work.

I think this is possibly just a weather / draft seal, rather than a full water seal, but I may be wrong.

Yes, it looks like that frmo the Q&As on Screwfix site.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I think mine was called Flexistrip and I got it from Channelglaze.  I think Sikaflex is a no-no.

Looks like it would do the stuff. Butyl tape. Ta!

3 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Martin/

Butyl tape or closed cell foam tape are both fine  for windows. Seals Direct do the latter.  Butyl sealant is also available in tubes for your gunge gun.  Google " seamseal CV " ( no quotes) for tape and tubes.

N

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

Nope, not at all. That’s why I asked the question. 

I used closed cell foam tape,no leaks after 7 years,have a scout round for suppliers ,I think mine was 10mms wide by 6mms deep.Stick to window surround,it's self adhesive,then screw in using the opposite screw technique to ensure it pulls down evenly.???

1 minute ago, Ian F B said:

I used closed cell foam tape,no leaks after 7 years,have a scout round for suppliers ,I think mine was 10mms wide by 6mms deep.Stick to window surround,it's self adhesive,then screw in using the opposite screw technique to ensure it pulls down evenly.???

Obviously it would help others if you could provide a link to the product you used. :)

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Obviously it would help others if you could provide a link to the product you used. :)

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Just looked it up,it was Seals Direct,Frost Auto Restorations also do it???? Plenty of other suppliers on fleabay,helpful enojugh?????

Edited by Ian F B
Info