'Floating holidays'

The Welsh Cruiser

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Paul&Sam said:

Hi All

Hello Paul & Sam and welcome to the forum. 

It's very sad that your first post on the forum has been to explain away misunderstandings and conclusions that may have been over zealously jumped to. I'm very sorry that you have felt the need to do that. 

I apologise if any of my comments have caused you any upset. 

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Hello Paul & Sam and welcome to the forum. 

It's very sad that your first post on the forum has been to explain away misunderstandings and conclusions that may have been over zealously jumped to. I'm very sorry that you have felt the need to do that. 

I apologise if any of my comments have caused you any upset. 

If everyone was like you, this world would be a whole lot better place.

That's my opinion anyway......

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

On 12/04/2019 at 12:26, Tumshie said:

Just had a look at their website, are they not working out of Lord Vernon's Wharf?

They must have changed their web site; I have just looked and it definitely says Higher Poynton.

Howard

2 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

If everyone was like you, this world would be a whole lot better place.

That's my opinion anyway......

That is very kind of you to say, thank you. 

I tend to work on the premises that we judge our selves by our intentions and others by their actions so in my ignorance could easily have said something that seemed unkind. 

4 minutes ago, Paul&Sam said:

No offence taken :)

I am glad. :)

5 minutes ago, Paul&Sam said:

:) our cover is blown though so in all honesty any questions or concerns just ask and let me know. :)

I'm also glad about that it's always nice to have new faces join the forum. :D

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

They must have changed their web site; I have just looked and it definitely says Higher Poynton.

Yes the google map showing their location has change has changed since I last looked at it. 

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

Hi Howard

We have only moved the arrow slightly closer to Bridge 15 on the Google map picture today, as that's where we meet guests to show them aboard.

It appeared we may have been confused as at Lord Vernon's wharf which we are not and haven't any association with any other business there. 

To avoid confusion we have corrected this error as promptly as we could once made aware. 

All the best. 

Paul. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Paul&Sam said:

Hi All

My wife and I are the operators of Floating Holidays, I guess until now the Macclesfield canals' best kept secret. 

To answer a few questions we are fully compliant with CRT licence for holiday boats and hire boat Bss certified. 

We have permanent moorings nearby which are purely for our storage of the boats when not on hire (which certainly aren't sub leased out at all and never will be) 

The CRT requested that we conduct handovers to customers on the visitor moorings by bridge 15 when we started operating to minimise any disruption to permanent moorers. This is also a handy location as there are two winding holes either side of those moorings for demonstrating boat navigation to customers. 

We are only on those moorings temporarily whilst prepping and handing over boats, this week the whole fleet had been with customers and therefore you may have spotted a couple boats there all at once. 

Hope that answers any questions but anything else just let us know. 

Paul

Thanks for coming on to tell us that. Interesting the CRT requesting you use visitor moorings, but not surprising as they use visitor moorings and service moorings as long term for their own work boats.

6 hours ago, Paul&Sam said:

Hi All

My wife and I are the operators of Floating Holidays, I guess until now the Macclesfield canals' best kept secret. 

To answer a few questions we are fully compliant with CRT licence for holiday boats and hire boat Bss certified. 

We have permanent moorings nearby which are purely for our storage of the boats when not on hire (which certainly aren't sub leased out at all and never will be) 

The CRT requested that we conduct handovers to customers on the visitor moorings by bridge 15 when we started operating to minimise any disruption to permanent moorers. This is also a handy location as there are two winding holes either side of those moorings for demonstrating boat navigation to customers. 

We are only on those moorings temporarily whilst prepping and handing over boats, this week the whole fleet had been with customers and therefore you may have spotted a couple boats there all at once. 

Hope that answers any questions but anything else just let us know. 

Paul

Appreciate the update. Just one point, there were 5 boats moored at this popular mooring 3 days ago, rather than a couple. Also, due to the popularity of this site you may have some difficulty in finding a spot to do the handovers, on some occasions, but I'm sure you have that covered.

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser
  • Unimpressed 1

47 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Appreciate the update. Just one point, there were 5 boats moored at this popular mooring 3 days ago, rather than a couple. Also, due to the popularity of this site you may have some difficulty in finding a spot to do the handovers, on some occasions, but I'm sure you have that covered.

Easter holidays so they've all been out over the last weekend. And are currently all with customers enjoying an Easter break. If you see me around there Welsh Cruiser be sure to stop and say hello. 

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Paul&Sam said:

Easter holidays so they've all been out over the last weekend. And are currently all with customers enjoying an Easter break. If you see me around there Welsh Cruiser be sure to stop and say hello. 

So what happens if you arrange a handover and then can't find space? It's bound to happen sooner or later.

Just now, Señor Chris said:

So what happens if you arrange a handover and then can't find space? It's bound to happen sooner or later.

Not happened yet, however I guess we would have to improvise a solution, most likely walk a little further the same as anyone else looking for a mooring. There's a lot of towpath to choose from, we've faced many challenges over our 3 years operating and haven't let them beat us yet. 

A can do approach and cheery up beat outlook has served us well so far. 

To be fair we've a few alternative "visitor / towpath" mooring locations we have scouted ahead of time as alternatives so are well prepared. 

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Paul&Sam said:

I did wonder at some of the previous comments.  If a hire boat fleet is not busy at Easter, they won't be using the VMs for very long!

There are a lot of grumpies on here, so I would suggest ignoring most of them.  I also have a CRT business licence, so I know what questions they ask and how many hoops you have to jump through.  I have no doubt that you were asked not to irritate the long term moorings, and that you you were encouraged to use the VM's for loading.   

If your usual hire periods are a week or two, then you had a grumpy come past when you were prepping your fleet for the start of the season - ignore them!  The VM will be empty for the next week or two, so you are getting whiny whiny from a grumpy for no good reason. 

You can't say that, as your business depends on you being nice, but it is not my business - I just happen to know a few hire-boat operators, and have been on this forum for years!

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1