Good Birding Sites

Kent Tool

Featured Posts

We will be taking our narrow boat on the Erewash, Trent and Mersey and Coventry canals doing a round trip from Loughborough to North Kilworth Marina in very early May.  We will have a well known Costa Rican bird guide with us on this trip and I'd like to know if there are good birding sites near these canals or close by.

If you pass through Fazeley on the Coventry, turn down the Birmingham & Fazeley canal. There’s good overnight moorings immediately after Fishers Mill Bridge and you are adjacent to the RSPB wetlands. 

You can then wind before the bottom lock to return to Fazeley. 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/middleton-lakes

Edited by MHS
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Branston. There's a very large water park adjacent to the canal. Moorings and plenty of birds and hides. I'm not a twitcher but there some in evidence when we were there. 

Agreed nice moorings, but is it getting noisy now with the large development starting nearby?

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I'm not a twitcher 

Point of order M'Lud!  I assume you know the true meaning of this term so often wrongly used IMO.   I am a birder but not a twitcher.   A twitcher is a birder who goes to great lengths to add a new "tick" to their life list.  It is not unknown for people to fly from the south to the Shetlands just to see a bird and then return within a few hours.

That is twitching.

With regard to good sites I agree with those listed above and would suggest perusing Nicholson's which shows many smaller reserves on its maps.

47 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Point of order M'Lud!  I assume you know the true meaning of this term so often wrongly used IMO.   I am a birder but not a twitcher.   A twitcher is a birder who goes to great lengths to add a new "tick" to their life list.  It is not unknown for people to fly from the south to the Shetlands just to see a bird and then return within a few hours.

That is twitching.

With regard to good sites I agree with those listed above and would suggest perusing Nicholson's which shows many smaller reserves on its maps.

I didn't know that. Point of order accepted. In which case there may well have been twitchers but I wouldn't have known unless I spoke to them. I guess most of those I saw then were 'birders'. Some were walking their dogs. (Would they have been doggers?) The mind boggles. I am not a twitcher nor a birder but I did see lots of birds of different makes and styles.

• Haha 1

Attenborough Nature Reserve is next to the Trent and it is within walking distance of Trent Lock (towards Nottingham). Or moor a bit further up the Erewash and catch the train from Long Eaton to Attenborough.