Hi everyone - advice needed please

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And I shall stop posting too if Athy is gonna start editing people's posts again. 

My dear fellow, how can I start again when I have never stopped?:D

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Dear Mike, on reflection I now see the error of my ways. Thank you for taking the scales from my eyes. Although I write courteously, my behaviour in editing other people's posts has been beyond discourteous, plain rude in fact. I shall mend my ways forthwith. I apologise unreservedly.

Dear Athy,

Apology accepted. 

(See what I did there?!) 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dear Athy,

Sorry that I was writing such tripe. It's the ale, you know.

:clapping:

Likewise.

(The difference being, of course, that you were editing someone else's words. I was editing my own. A member's right to edit his own words is not in question.)

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dear Athy,

Apology accepted. 

(See what I did there?!) 

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

:clapping:

Likewise.

Lol you are both crazy men! x

4 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Lol you are both crazy men! x

NOW you're getting the idea!

Mr. Boiler and I both own narrowboats - in fact he, poor chap, has more than one. You can't imagine anyone who's totally normal doing that, can you?

Just now, Athy said:

NOW you're getting the idea!

Mr. Boiler and I both own narrowboats - in fact he, poor chap, has more than one. You can't imagine anyone who's totally normal doing that, can you?

Wow more than one why? Does he rent others out then? 

14 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Wow more than one why? Does he rent others out then? 

Quite a few people find it addictive, therapeutic or maybe they just can't help themselves. 

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, Lily Rose said:

Ask about renting a boat out. That should open up a nice can of worms.

Lol why a can of worms is that not a normal thing to do I thought it was? x

Just now, Laura_Newbie said:

Lol why a can of worms is that not a normal thing to do I thought it was? x

It shouldn't be because there are far too many things that can go wrong with it, the system as a whole isn't set up to cope with it BUT the desperation for cheap housing in places like London are seeing people doing it and not very legally or safely either. 

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

It shouldn't be because there are far too many things that can go wrong with it, the system as a whole isn't set up to cope with it BUT the desperation for cheap housing in places like London are seeing people doing it and not very legally or safely either. 

It was actually something I was thinking about. Live on it and then rent it out as I hear you can get around £1000 a week for a rental!? x

1 minute ago, Laura_Newbie said:

It was actually something I was thinking about. Live on it and then rent it out as I hear you can get around £1000 a week for a rental!? x

Have a guess which of the following is true:

A) This is a new idea no-one has thought of yet.

B ) There are dozens if not hundreds of threads asking about this already, easily found for perusal using the search function.

:giggles:

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

B ) There are dozens if not hundreds of threads asking about this already, easily found for perusal using the search function.

Omg you are soooo annoying lol I haven't looked into yet as I am wanting to "live" on one first so no point as things change! x

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

A member's right to edit his own words is not in question.)

Then why can't I do it too - just saying ?

11 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Somebody lied ?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Omg you are soooo annoying lol I haven't looked into yet as I am wanting to "live" on one first so no point as things change! x

Ok, if you want to buy a boat, to live on, then you need to decide where to keep it. If you need to work in one location that will affect your options.

Cheapest is "continuous cruising",, there are other options.

14 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

To rent out it then becomes a 'commercial operation' as opposed to a Private boat.

You need :

A business boat licence

Business boat insurance

A commercial BSS (much more severe than a 'private' BSS and most private boats would fail because of the hull fitttings.

All sorts of other restrictions - somewhere for your customers to park their car, somewhere for you to dispose of their rubbish, somewhere for you to empty their toilets.

There are a couple of companies that do long-term rental (about £1000 per month)

http://www.etrr.co.uk/boat

There are hundreds that do 'short term' (holiday) rentals.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bring back Mike the Boilerman.....oh, ? 'ang on a minute .....

Yes that would be fun, emptying other folks' toilet cassette, or, shock horror "compost loo"

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All sorts of other restrictions - somewhere for your customers to park their car, somewhere for you to dispose of their rubbish, somewhere for you to empty their toilets.

Yes that would be fun, emptying other folks' toilet cassette, or, shock horror "compost loo"

Hell's fire and damnation, I've broke the internet again. I can't edit my last post!

WHAT'S GOING ON!

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Hell's fire and damnation, I've broke the internet again. I can't edit my last post!

WHAT'S GOING ON!

Warning Warning Cease And Desist

You have over extended your editing quota for today

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Then why can't I do it too - just saying ?

You can - but I think that there's a time limit within which you can edit your post - an hour? After that, if you want it edited, you can ask a moddy to do it - it is something which we do quite often for members. Sometimes a member asks if we can completely delete their post, and we do that too. 

1 hour ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Nooo please you should talk positive or nice talk about me or something else on the towpath to be happy! x

It's not personal,  there are a one or two long running disagreements on the forum and threads do have a tendency to go off topic.

Generally people in the actual real world are decent and friendly, imagine this place to be a village pub where old Bob is still annoyed that the young whippersnapper Sam won best in show for his turnips 30 years ago.

There is plenty of good advice freely given, buckle up and enjoy the madness 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

It's not personal,  there are a one or two long running disagreements on the forum and threads do have a tendency to go off topic.

Generally people in the actual real world are decent and friendly, imagine this place to be a village pub where old Bob is still annoyed that the young whippersnapper Sam won best in show for his turnips 30 years ago.

There is plenty of good advice freely given, buckle up and enjoy the madness 

Lol yes I see this all now I am taking it in my stride thanks! x

30 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

It's a natural and positive thought. Some people do do it, apparently, but there's a suspicion that some of them do it illegally.

BUT unless they have relevant insurance of a kind whose name I don't know - public liability? - then if anything goes wrong (boat sinks, catches fire, occupant injured), then the insurance companies can have a field day and everyone loses (except, of course, the insurance companies). Such owners also have to provide facilities for their hirers: car parking, water, sewage disposal - and their boats have to be inspected. This is just a sketch of what is SUPPOSED to happen, I have never done it so I'm unsure of the details.

So, in one word: don't.