Hi everyone - advice needed please

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Hi omg what have I missed here lol!!! Thanks to erm everyone responding I'm sooooo confused to what some things are

Never mind... this is the normal state of affairs for a girl to be in....

What you need is a man to sort it all out for you!

:giggles:

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol noooo I'm through with men for now Mr! x

Just now, Laura_Newbie said:

Lol noooo I'm through with men for now Mr! x

Well you seem to be floundering terribly without one, and keep asking for help.

Why are you so confused? Why not make some effort and actually read up on all the things you say you are confused about? Ask specific questions if there are points you really can't understand. General stuff like "how much does it cost in Bath" are unanswerable in any meaningful way. You can research mooring prices and boat prices in Bath just same as anyone else can, if you tke the trouble.

Some might assume that's an offer ?

I must say I find Laura's confusion rather confusing :blink: Must be a gurl thing :giggles:

• Haha 1

Well you seem to be floundering terribly without one, and keep asking for help.

Why are you so confused? Why not make some effort and actually read up on all the things you say you are confused about? Ask specific questions if there are points you really can't understand. General stuff like "how much does it cost in Bath" are unanswerable in any meaningful way. You can research mooring prices and boat prices in Bath just same as anyone else can, if you tke the trouble.

Hi you are right I will research it myself I'm just being lazy which is bad sorry! x

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I must say I find Laura's confusion rather confusing :blink: Must be a gurl thing :giggles:

Lol I've always been this way and never get jokes I'm blonde! Omg did I just say that!? x

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

There are plenty of very capable gurls living solo on boats. I can think of about ten even in my own small circle of acquaintances. 

So Laura it can be done, but honestly you need to up your game and do it for yourself, rather than keep asking to be spoon-fed with poorly thought out questions. I'd say just about EVERYTHING you have asked about so far has been covered in detail here in previous threads and you have free access to all this information. Just read it! Use the search box top right of every page. It works really well!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So Laura it can be done, but honestly you need to up your game and do it for yourself, rather than keep asking to be spoon-fed with poorly thought out questions. I'd say just about EVERYTHING you have asked about so far has been covered in detail here in previous threads and you have free access to all this information. Just read it! Use the search box top right of every page. It works really well!

Ok wow I've been told! I get it really I do but also I thought the whole purpose of a forum was to ask questions and communicate with people? Sorry my bad x

21 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Hi omg what have I missed here lol!!! Thanks to erm everyone responding I'm sooooo confused to what some things are. 

3 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Hi you are right I will research it myself I'm just being lazy which is bad sorry! x

Lol I've always been this way and never get jokes I'm blonde! Omg did I just say that!? x

The jokes are pretty in house so if you stay here for long enough they start to make sense but......

You should be doing enough research now that your understanding of living on a boat should coming together and a little less confusing. There are threads on here about living costs - loads of then because it's a question everybody asks, you just need to have a good rummage about the forum and find what you need and then just sit and read. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There are plenty of very capable gurls living solo on boats. I can think of about ten even in my own small circle of acquaintances. 

This is very true - we seem to have less boating women actively posting on the forum but they are out there and loving the life they've made for themselves. 

Mike is a right feminist so it's extra funny when he makes jokes about confusion cos he actually believes the complete opposite. 

5 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Ok wow I've been told! I get it really I do but also I thought the whole purpose of a forum was to ask questions and communicate with people? Sorry my bad x

The point of a forum is to ask and chat but if you want a deeper understanding then you need to do your own research too. 

There are countless threads on the type of toilet you could have and some are the same old stuff and some give a new and fresh response. if you only read one thread on one topic then you aren't necessarily getting the whole picture. 

• Greenie 1

Ok straight away I found that moorings in Bath are between £1500 and £2500 for Marina costs wow that's quite expensive. And that BOAT stands for Bring Out Another Thousand!? Is there constant running costs and repairs then I would hope it will settle down once you sort the boat out after buying it? x

11 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

A lovely post above from Tumshie for you. 

But Laura yes consider yourself told, lol! Please don't feel you are not welcome here, you are (especially with that décolletage).

Yes it is a discussion forum and your only 'bad' is to ask questions then not really take on board and discuss the answers. You tend to reply with comments like 'oh thanks, something to research then', then swerve off and ask a different question rather than delve into the details of the responses to the original question. Discuss stuff properly and you'll get reams of help. 

That's about it, really!

1 minute ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Ok straight away I found that moorings in Bath are between £1500 and £2500 for Marina costs wow that's quite expensive. And that BOAT stands for Bring Out Another Thousand!? Is there constant running costs and repairs then I would hope it will settle down once you sort the boat out after buying it? x

But it'll have to be a really small boat if you want to moor it in Bath....

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A lovely post above from Tumshie for you. 

But Laura yes consider yourself told, lol! Please don't feel you are not welcome here, you are (especially with that décolletage).

Yes it is a discussion forum and your only 'bad' is to ask questions then not really take on board and discuss the answers. You tend to reply with comments like 'oh thanks, something to research then', then swerve off and ask a different question rather than delve into the details of the responses to the original question. Discuss stuff properly and you'll get reams of help. 

That's about it, really!

Ok noted thanks! I am researching though in the background I promise. And what's my decolletage got to do with it (had to google that word lol)! x

5 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

But it'll have to be a really small boat if you want to moor it in Bath....

I know I think Bath is out the question thanks x

21 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

I wasn't confused until I read the last few posts, and now I feel I need clarification, but then I sometimes used to think that was alcohol related, and now that I am having dry days and wet days alternately, I am even more confused. @laura, what is the question, my dear?

• Unimpressed 1

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I wasn't confused until I read the last few posts, and now I feel I need clarification, but then I sometimes used to think that was alcohol related, and now that I am having dry days and wet days alternately, I am even more confused. @laura, what is the question, my dear?

That @laura isn't our Laura she's @Laura_Newbie - Confused :blink:

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Stop it, both of you :rolleyes:

Edited by Tumshie

32 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Is there constant running costs and repairs then I would hope it will settle down once you sort the boat out after buying it? x

The annual 'running costs' tend to be (across many many boaters reported 'averages') around £5000 per annum, then you have moorings costs which will vary between £1500 & £15,000 per annum depending on where they are, facilities provided and type of mooring.

The £5,000 per annum 'running costs' is an average over a number of years, some years may be £2000, then the odd year (re-painting) it may be £12,000, you may need a new engine (£5000) or a new gearbox (£1000). If you do absolutely no maintenance, your annual costs will be lower but eventually the boat will fall apart and be worthless.

Running costs of a boat are rarely lower than a house and usually considerably moor than a flat.

It is advisable to keep a 'sum' in the bank (some suggest £5,000) to cover unforeseen incidents / costs - if you have no contingency money then when you are out cruising, and the engine goes 'bang', you are stuck unless you can call 'Wonga' (other loan sharks are available) but then you pay thru' the nose.

You may find this post (discussing on-going costs) of interest :

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

And I think you will also be very hard pushed to find one.  You would probably pay that sort of money for a CRT on line towpath mooring with no facilities, if you are looking for a marina it could well be more. I pay about £1900 up near Anderton in a marina.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And I think you will also be very hard pushed to find one.  You would probably pay that sort of money for a CRT on line towpath mooring with no facilities, if you are looking for a marina it could well be more. I pay about £1900 up near Anderton in a marina.

BWML Costs around the country :

Amazing Residential moorings deals available now at the following marinas:

Kings MarinaNottinghamshire — £3493.50 p/a (based on narrowboat)
Hull MarinaYorkshire — £5082.20 p/a (based on 57ft narrowboat)
Priory MarinaBedfordshire £4504.50 p/a
Ripon RacecourseMarina Yorkshire£3163.80 p/a (based on narrowboat)
Sawley MarinaNottinghamshire £2355.30 p/a (based on grade 3 narrowboat)

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Hi sorry no I was confused with all the jokes but am up to speed now x

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thanks it's quite expensive but not as much as a house I think!? x

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thanks soo much Alan I am thinking that Mercia/Willington will be the best spot as I would be near my mum still x

Just now, Laura_Newbie said:

I know but a lot of other costs involved! x

Go on then, list them for comparison!

(You could cheat and use the search facility ;) Loads of threads here comparing house Vs boat costs)

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Go on then, list them for comparison!

(You could cheat and use the search facility ;) Loads of threads here comparing house Vs boat costs)

Lol omg you are putting me on the spot! well there is insurance, council tax, water, gas & electric, internet, tv licence so lots x

Edited by Guest