Hi everyone - advice needed please

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Even the picture of the 'person' was blurred compared to the Amazon boxes.

Not blurred enough to prevent a photo search and work out who the photos were really of. It was rather easy in fact. 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was good whilst it lasted.

I had hoped "she" would get bored and just stop posting, then we could all just forget about it. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's how I look in real life!

Blurry compared to Amazon boxes....

It's not really fair to compare yourself to an amazon box.

26 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

No self respecting VA refers to them self as a secretary. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_assistant_(occupation)

So much for this thread disappearing with out any fuss. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they do if they want non-computer-biz people to know what the job is. Most people have heard of secretaries; I for one was uncertain whether the job of "Virtual Assistant" actually existed.

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps they do if they want non-computer-biz people to know what the job is. Most people have heard of secretaries; I for one was uncertain whether the job of "Virtual Assistant" actually existed.

Desperately out of touch with modern life, teachers.....

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I originally thought it was an earthquake, but it seemed to stop when I switched the PC off.

Do you have a link?

I have yet to experience the Earth moving just through a website.

Edited by carlt
  • Horror 1

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Desperately out of touch with modern life, teachers.....

I wouldn't know. I haven't been one for some years.

But I realise, because of your modern boats with their high-tech engines, that you are at the cutting edge of progress.

More seriously, if you said "Secretary" and "Virtual assistant" to most people in the street they'd recognise the former much more readily.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I wouldn't know. I haven't been one for some years.

But I realise, because of your modern boats with their high-tech engines, that you are at the cutting edge of progress.

More seriously, if you said "Secretary" and "Virtual assistant" to most people in the street they'd recognise the former much more readily.

I'd take issue with that. I think if you ask people under about 30, most would have no idea what a secretary is. They became 'personal assistants' in the 1980s and a secretary now, is someone who is in charge at the local bowls club. Or a member of the government. 

1 minute ago, Wittenham said:

how does one do a photo search?  [genuinely curious]

Normally I use DuckDuckGo as a search engine but they don't allow photo searches so the other options are Bing or google, I find that I get better results using Bing. 

You go to the home page of the search engine and click on the camera icon in the search bar and it offers you a drop down that you can drag and drop the photo into. The search will then bring up all the photos of the same or closest match. 

I really have to go out now but if you need more info I can give more later. 

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Eh?

Sorry, you can't discuss political dogs on here.

I didn't, I was discussing sexual ones ?

• Greenie 1

"Personal Assistant", yes, that would be familiar to more people, though I am unsure if it is synonymous with "secretary" - more like "Private secretary", perhaps.

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

I didn't, I was discussing sexual ones ?

I shan't ask what a "sexual dog" is, as the answer might shock.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

"Personal Assistant", yes, that would be familiar to more people, though I am unsure if it is synonymous with "secretary" - more like "Private secretary", perhaps.

A personal assistant only deals with one person. 

Private secretary is more Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Private secretary is more Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader 

I think you’ve just demonstrated that while Athy may be right about “most people” and “secretary” they still may not quite be on the same wavelength as he’s on. ?

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd take issue with that. I think if you ask people under about 30, most would have no idea what a secretary is. They became 'personal assistants' in the 1980s and a secretary now, is someone who is in charge at the local bowls club. Or a member of the government. 

I remember in the 80s taking my work to the typing pool (about 30 typists hammering away on their electric typewriters) on a 51/4" floppy disk to be made legible and a secretary there once said to me "You realise if everyone starts using these disks instead of bringing us sheets of paper we'll all be made redundant?"

Prophetic words indeed.

1 minute ago, carlt said:

I remember in the 80s taking my work to the typing pool (about 30 typists hammering away on their electric typewriters) on a 51/4" floppy disk to be made legible and a secretary there once said to me "You realise if everyone starts using these disks instead of bringing us sheets of paper we'll all be made redundant?"

Prophetic words indeed.

Good point. I should have said most people under about 40 have little concept of the dedicated secretary/typist that every higher tier manager had sitting at a second desk in his office until perhaps the mid 90s.

51 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

A personal assistant only deals with one person. 

Obviously, hence the name, as I said, like a private secretary, quite correct.

50 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think you’ve just demonstrated that while Athy may be right about “most people” and “secretary” they still may not quite be on the same wavelength as he’s on. ?

I think you've just demonstrated that not all your pronouncements are comprehensible.:D

I have no idea who Maggie and James are - characters in a film? But I do know that my late Mum's job title was "Private secretary". She was the secretary to the managing director of a 'bus company.

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

But I do know that my late Mum's job title was "Private secretary". She was the secretary to the managing director of a 'bus company.

And I would say nothing to disrespect or dishonour her in any way.