Hi everyone - advice needed please

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

My dongle, pictured earlier has two antenna sockets. But have never needed it. It hangs in the window connected to 12v power. I switch it off at night and unplug it, alledgedly the battery doesn't like power all the time. Not sure if the model number of mine. I think it may be 5773 or something. It can and does do 4g. Not all do. It is also unlocked as I sometimes put in an EE sim. 

Ignore these suggestive posts. Some people eh?

Mine gets switched on when we go aboard and then off when we come home, anything between a week and 6 weeks. But as its powered I dont bother about battery life too much

28 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Thanks it's quite expensive but not as much as a house I think!? x 

No that is cheap, the cheapest we have been in

Edited by ditchcrawler

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No that is cheap, the cheapest we have been in

Heading off to my new cheap  marina today £1600pa but it is in the back of beyond but only a couple of days from the GU main line.

Better than the £4500+ I was paying 50 miles further south.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

A Residential mooring will be liable for Council Tax, as far as I know. That is swerved by the constant cruisers,

A bit unfair to say swerved, I'd say, as there is no mechanism for charging CCers, nor any way for them to pay should they try to. 

43 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Lol omg you are putting me on the spot! well there is insurance, council tax, water, gas & electric, internet, tv licence so lots x

With the exception of water (and council tax if you find a way to swerve it) you would also be paying those costs on a boat as well so not saving anything in those areas.

The 'house vs. boat' question crops up a lot, but personally I find those threads tend to suffer from not pinning down what costs it's actually relevant (for most people) to compare.

For instance, some people on here will swear blind it's not cheaper to live on a boat than in a house (because of maintenance costs etc.)... then you realise they're actually comparing the cost of living on a boat you own outright, to the cost of living in a house you own outright. Well, fine, but how many people are actually in a position to be weighing up that choice, as opposed to the choice between (say) buying a boat outright for £40k vs. putting a £40k deposit on a house and taking on a £600-a-month mortgage?

Very roughly though, I personally would expect fuel costs to be about the same on a boat as in a house, maintenance costs to be somewhat higher (more work is needed on boats more often, and it's typically more expensive), and beyond that, well, it depends. You could spend £4000 or more in fees for an 'official' residential mooring and keep getting a £1000 Council Tax bill, you could continuously cruise and face neither of those costs, you could CC but pay for a winter mooring, you could pay for a leisure mooring and live there 'under the radar'; you get the idea. Beyond the annual licence fee (say £700-£1000 depending on boat size), it's a question of what your own version of living aboard will be.

Oh and incidentally - you can report posts to the moderators if you feel they're inappropriate, so don't feel you have to just laugh along with 'innocent' remarks about your appearance etc.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A bit unfair to say swerved, I'd say, as there is no mechanism for charging CCers, nor any way for them to pay should they try to. 

by-passed,

avoided

Is not applicable to

etc................

Edited by LadyG

36 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

With the exception of water (and council tax if you find a way to swerve it) you would also be paying those costs on a boat as well so not saving anything in those areas.

Ok you have good points there x

11 minutes ago, magictime said:

The 'house vs. boat' question crops up a lot, but personally I find those threads tend to suffer from not pinning down what costs it's actually relevant (for most people) to compare.

For instance, some people on here will swear blind it's not cheaper to live on a boat than in a house (because of maintenance costs etc.)... then you realise they're actually comparing the cost of living on a boat you own outright, to the cost of living in a house you own outright. Well, fine, but how many people are actually in a position to be weighing up that choice, as opposed to the choice between (say) buying a boat outright for £40k vs. putting a £40k deposit on a house and taking on a £600-a-month mortgage?

Very roughly though, I personally would expect fuel costs to be about the same on a boat as in a house, maintenance costs to be somewhat higher (more work is needed on boats more often, and it's typically more expensive), and beyond that, well, it depends. You could spend £4000 or more in fees for an 'official' residential mooring and keep getting a £1000 Council Tax bill, you could continuously cruise and face neither of those costs, you could CC but pay for a winter mooring, you could pay for a leisure mooring and live there 'under the radar'; you get the idea. Beyond the annual licence fee (say £700-£1000 depending on boat size), it's a question of what your own version of living aboard will be.

Oh and incidentally - you can report posts to the moderators if you feel they're inappropriate, so don't feel you have to just laugh along with 'innocent' remarks about your appearance etc.

Thanks yes I see that it is about the same as a house but more maintenance costs but with no mortgage it means its a lot cheaper obviously. I don't mind comments btw I'm  big girl I can handle it as I can take jokes when I get them lol! x

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Avoided

Is not applicable to

Not the same thing, surely? Portugese income tax isn't applicable to me, but you'd hardly say I was 'avoiding' it by choosing to live in the UK rather than Portugal.

Council Tax for a CCer is in the 'not applicable' category; I don't pay Council Tax because I don't live in a particular council area and use a particular council's services. In fact I pay CRT for things like my refuse collection through my licence fee.

1 minute ago, magictime said:

Not the same thing, surely? Portugese income tax isn't applicable to me, but you'd hardly say I was 'avoiding' it by choosing to live in the UK rather than Portugal.

No, you're swerving it. lol! 

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Interesting.

I often think you see changing one's mind in response to well-reasoned argument as weakness. 

You think wrongly: exchanges of views and information are the essence of discussion, and such exchanges can lead to participants changing their own views or learning from said information. Equally, though, if someone believes that their own point of view is correct, it is natural for them to defend it.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

You think wrongly: exchanges of views and information are the essence of discussion, and such exchanges can lead to participants changing their own views or learning from said information. Equally, though, if someone believes that their own point of view is correct, it is natural for them to defend it.

But you never change your views. You stick to your guns and never change your mind, no matter how overwhelming the case being put forward that you are wrong about something.

Remind me, did a regular poster on here once, or was it twice, apply [so far unsuccessfully] to be a mod?

That would be interesting. #Daniel in the Lion's Den.

I don't think Athy moderating bad words is what drives people away, there is no evidence for that, probably you will find that a large number of people would stop using the site if it could not be read without offence.

There is a site which is self moderating, but is an outlier.

Edited by LadyG
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Remind me, did a regular poster on here once, or was it twice, apply [so far unsuccessfully] to be a mod?

That would be interesting. 

#Daniel in the Lion's Den

Actually there are two long-standing members here whose applications were ignored, IIRC. 

One of them at least, well respected ?

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That would be interesting. #Daniel in the Lion's Den.

I don't think Athy moderating bad words is what drives people away, there is no evidence for that, probably you will find that a large number of people would stop using the site if it could not be read without offence.

There is a site which is self moderating, but is an outlier.

You are missing rather A LOT of facts here. 

I really don't want to get into a barney about this topic but most of this post is either not relevant to the current editing of posts, is very factually wrong, or is just plain nonsensical.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

You are missing rather A LOT of facts here. 

I really don't want to get into a barney about this topic but most of this post is either not relevant to the current editing of posts, is very factually wrong, or is just plain nonsensical.

I'm just responding to MtBs comment.

I could have been clearer if I quoted the post by MtB, but sometimes it is better not to quote 

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1

Omgosh people please if you want to fight can you start a new thread. This is my "I'm a newbie" thread and me just saying hi and asking things! How can I stop this? x

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A good example is your habit of abusing your position as a mod and changing other people's posts. 

The only person on here who thinks this is good, is YOU. It is an appalling habit that drives posters away.

I do not abuse my position. I take it seriously and do my best to discharge it responsibly. I have been known to display a sense of humour, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad quality.

All moddies edit other people's posts from time to time if it is deemed necessary. I last did this a couple of days ago, to remove a personal insult directed by one member against another. When we do so, we give (or should give) a reason for the editing in the box provided, and sometimes we also write a P.M. to the member if required.

I know that you knew that really and that you're just having a laugh,, but it was worth explaining for the benefit of (perhaps newer) members who were not aware of this procedure. 

1 minute ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Omgosh people please if you want to fight can you start a new thread. This is my "I'm a newbie" thread and me just saying hi and asking things! How can I stop this? x

Don't worry Laura.

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't think Athy moderating bad words is what drives people away

Athy changed a post by Spadefoot giving it a completely different meaning. Then when Spadefoot (rather bluntly) asked for it to be changed back, Athy refused. Dug his heels in and absolutely refused to accept there was anything wrong with a mod editing a post to change the meaning.

Spadefoot stopped posting as a result. I know this as I had a long chat with him about it on the towpath.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Spadefoot stopped posting as a result. I know this as I had a long chat with him about it on the towpath.

Nooo please you should talk positive or nice talk about me or something else on the towpath to be happy! x