Hi everyone - advice needed please

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Clownfish Fish Puns

That's a bit clumsy Alan. The correct joke is....

Two cannibals boiling up a clown in their soup caldron. One cannibal says to the other, "does this soup taste funny to you?"

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Two cannibals boiling up a clown in their soup caldron. One cannibal says to the other, "does this soup taste funny to you?"

Were they cannibalistic fish ?

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's a bit clumsy Alan. The correct joke is....

Have a trawl back thru the pages and see if you can find anything batter.

My dongle, pictured earlier has two antenna sockets. But have never needed it. It hangs in the window connected to 12v power. I switch it off at night and unplug it, alledgedly the battery doesn't like power all the time. Not sure if the model number of mine. I think it may be 5773 or something. It can and does do 4g. Not all do. It is also unlocked as I sometimes put in an EE sim. 

Ignore these suggestive posts. Some people eh?

On the tangential subject of what the 'typical' boater looks like, I had to titter this morning as we cruised past a boat with two codgers on deck: one sixtysomething, white-haired, with a neatly trimmed balding pate and an equally neat, short beard, a touch of middle-aged spread maybe under a smart-casual fleece; the other sixtysomething, white-haired, with wild unkempt thinning locks, a huge straggly beard and a scruffy T-shirt pulled over a bit of a belly. They looked like the 'before' and 'after' pictures of the same bloke, one taken on the day of his first visit to a broker's and one on the third anniversary of moving on board!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

As you say still good after all those years. Nods as good as a wink to a blind bat. Classic.

And no-one drinks out of them beer mugs no more*, do they! 

"Dimples", we used to call them....

* Just trying to make Athy cringe with my wonderful gramma :giggles:

6 hours ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Hi thanks it is all a bit confusing because as usual there are lots of options. I am on Virgin Mobile so maybe it would be good to stay with them? Should I start a new thread asking about this? x

I have no idea what their coverage of the canals is like, most people rate 3 or EE

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And no-one drinks out of them beer mugs no more*, do they! 

"Dimples", we used to call them....

* Just trying to make Athy cringe with my wonderful gramma :giggles:

We drank out of them in The Boathouse in Braunston in February. They had just re-opened after refurb. and said they were trying to bring dimples back.

20 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I much prefer a proper glass with dimples and a handle. Less likely to drop it and far easier to carry multiple pints.

So do I and unlike a straight glass, the beer stays at the correct temperature longer, instead of rapidly being overheated by your hand.

I visited a pub in Banbury last year which had them. The barman was telling me that they are the latest thing. I said "no mate, they were used for years until the accountants phased them out at the end of the 70's".

It's probably the accountants bringing them back now as most pubs have specific branded straight glasses for each type of beer that they sell.

55 minutes ago, cuthound said:

So do I and unlike a straight glass, the beer stays at the correct temperature longer, instead of rapidly being overheated by your hand.

Many moons ago when I did some pub work we had gents who would only have their beer served in a dimple glass. And would keep the same glass for the duration of their stay rather that suffer a pint pot or have a glass newly washed and too warm. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

So do I and unlike a straight glass,

And around out way a straight glass was called a "sleeve". 

Courage Directors' sir? Dimple or sleeve? 

Give we were only 17 we took this to be a test to see if we really were real ale enthusiasts.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have no idea what their coverage of the canals is like, most people rate 3 or EE

Yep. Virgin uses EE which is generally rated as having the best 4G coverage. I’ve been using EE for a couple of years now. Though I believe many boaters have taken up the 3 unlimited data deal and are pleased with it. The point for me is that EE don’t currently do unlimited data so that’s why we have gone to Virgin. 

My Buzzard 2 car WiFi 12v cig lighter device works with both EE and now on the Virgin unlimited deal. Though I’m lucky I wired the boat’s 12v cig sockets above the gunnels next to windows from what Tony has said!

Other options are available. But as of now only the 2 unlimited data deals. I need unlimited data as we stream all our telly (really could not be ars*d with putting up the aerial pole and retuning unless absolutely necessary).

Just letting you know what works for us FYI. 

Cheers, Jak. 

Edited by Jak

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And around out way a straight glass was called a "sleeve". 

Courage Directors' sir? Dimple or sleeve? 

Give we were only 17 we took this to be a test to see if we really were real ale enthusiasts.

Nono - a glass without a handle is a thin glass

Hi omg what have I missed here lol!!! Thanks to erm everyone responding I'm sooooo confused to what some things are. 

Also I have a friend in Bath who is trying to find out for me how much it costs there. Does anyone moor in Bath please? x