Hi everyone - advice needed please

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Don't wooory, it's only old f---s being a bit cheeky. It's not often we get foks and ladies under the age of xx on here - thus it's a bit of a culture shock when younger newbies come on here!

I am a source of great disappointment to them - I'm neither particularly young or very good at being a lady :giggles:

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Thank you soooo much wow you are like my knight in shining armour I really appreciate it!!! x

Hi thanks Jack I have never seen one of those before that's fab as I am on Virgin Mobile! Can you get it from the virgin shop then? x

Take care with the plug in dongle. Steel narrowboats form a fairly good Faraday cage that prevents radio waves entering the boat apart from through windows and wooden doors. The  dongle Nightwatch showed can be hung in a window or porthole or even put in a plastic box and placed outside. It will charge from the computer's USB port while you are using it. The one Jak showed seems to be tethered to cigarette lighter socket and if those happen to be below gunwale level (below the cabin side) reception might be severely compromised. Even more so an a boat with portholes rather than windows.

3 hours ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Omg I'm sorry if I offended I don't mean to. All that I mean from that photo is that I don't have to compromise who I am and how I dress if I was to live on a boat that's all. Is that bad does everyone now all hate me? x

The canal though changing is one of the last bastions of non conformity In a uniform society. 

There will be those who look down on you for a variety of reasons, you are living aboard ,you are female, your boat has the wrong size rivets on the hull, the paint is the wrong shade of pink, whatever. Someone will be prejudiced.

Ignore it.  Just don’t walk down wet gunnels in crocks or heels. Neither is good.

5 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I am a source of great disappointment to them - I'm neither particularly young or very good at being a lady :giggles:

Hey Tumshie, I see Rusty gave you a greenie. He's lurking again. Try and tempt him out and we can have a party weekend!

......apologies to the OP for thread drift but organizing this party is important!

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Omg I'm sorry if I offended I don't mean to. All that I mean from that photo is that I don't have to compromise who I am and how I dress if I was to live on a boat that's all. Is that bad does everyone now all hate me? x

I don't think anyone is offended or hates you. It is just that there is another boating discussion forum where the members have a track record of starting fictional profiles on here, with a view to posting disruptively on CWF for fun. And suspicions are aroused.

In the pub with tonight conversation turned to you as our attractive new female poster, and the view was floated that given your photos, you are so far away from the typical profile of a miserable old git of a narrow boater that you might possibly be fictional, and only exist in the minds of the posters on the other forum!

There. So now you know! 

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Take care with the plug in dongle. Steel narrowboats form a fairly good Faraday cage that prevents radio waves entering the boat apart from through windows and wooden doors. The  dongle Nightwatch showed can be hung in a window or porthole or even put in a plastic box and placed outside. It will charge from the computer's USB port while you are using it. The one Jak showed seems to be tethered to cigarette lighter socket and if those happen to be below gunwale level (below the cabin side) reception might be severely compromised. Even more so an a boat with portholes rather than windows.

Thank you for this tip wow ok so maybe I need to look more into it! x

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think anyone is offended or hates you. It is just that there is another boating discussion forum where the members have a track record of starting fictional profiles on here, with a view to posting disruptively on CWF for fun. And suspicions are aroused.

In the pub with tonight conversation turned to you as our attractive new female poster, and the view was floated that given your photos, you are so far away from the typical profile of a miserable old git of a narrow boater that you might possibly be fictional, and only exist in the minds of the posters on the other forum!

There. So now you know! 

Lol ok so because I'm not old and miserable I have to be fictional that's good to know! I am only collecting knowledge to then decide whether I am going to do this live-aboard for a while (which I have to say right now I think I will) and that's all I have no other motives so please don't stress I'm quite normal and nice! x

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Have a search on the forum for onboard internet, mifi, antennas, there are lots of posts on the setups used and how good they are.

Thank you I will have a look now! x

Over the years I have whittled intenet connectivity down to MiFi devices - but they must have (for succesful reception) socket(s) for an external aerial.

leave  the mifi in the boat and stoc the aerial outside on the roof. There are loads for sale on ebay. Only buy an Huawei unit or possibly one made by netgear.

Price is NO indication as to quality. Don't get a Vodafone model unless you want to use Voda's service - 'cos they're locked.

I wonr xpand further - as you'll probably do something else....

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Over the years I have whittled intenet connectivity down to MiFi devices - but they must have (for succesful reception) socket(s) for an external aerial.

leave  the mifi in the boat and stoc the aerial outside on the roof. There are loads for sale on ebay. Only buy an Huawei unit or possibly one made by netgear.

Price is NO indication as to quality. Don't get a Vodafone model unless you want to use Voda's service - 'cos they're locked.

Hi thanks it is all a bit confusing because as usual there are lots of options. I am on Virgin Mobile so maybe it would be good to stay with them? Should I start a new thread asking about this? x

25 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Hi thanks it is all a bit confusing because as usual there are lots of options. I am on Virgin Mobile so maybe it would be good to stay with them? Should I start a new thread asking about this? x

No, you should use the search box (top right of every page) and read the dozens of threads already existing on this exact subject. 

Once you have done your basic simple research, then start a new thread if your questions haven't been covered already.

13 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

You're absolutely right - it is an absolute minefield, rather like should your boat have rivets and other detail matters.

In my not very humble opinion operators like Virgin and Vofafone concentrate on urban areas (makes good business sense) leaving less urban areas to other operators (such as 3) for less profitable cover.

My initial suggestion is - subject to your better local knowledge - get a reasonable mifi and a PAYG sim and see what quality of connection you get.

We cruise the Thames and a semi annual pilgrimage up to and beyond Brum and find that '3' give the most consistent coverage. It may be that PAYG folks get what signal is left over after the contract customer has their fill (they can do that...), thus if it works for us  from a particular supplier is should be good for you.....  

52 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Like Nightwatch, I have a Huawei device (I think I paid around £70 for it from Three, though you can get them on Amazon as well) and use a prepaid Three data SIM (cheaper on Amazon than direct from Three). It's unlocked so you could use a SIM from another provider.

I'm not sure (I'm not on the boat at the moment) if the model I have has a socket for an external aerial, though I think it has, but, I agree with OldGoat that it is probably worth getting one that has just in case you find you need an aerial. I don't have an aerial but my device is placed on a window ledge inside the boat and gets good reception in most places. On the odd occasion that it doesn't I usually find my phone gets little or no reception outside the boat so the problem is not the device, or positioning inside the boat or lack of an aerial but poor signal in that area.

An aerial might be handy though if, unlike me, you don't have a window ledge with a nearby socket for charging while it is in use.

UPDATE re price... actually I got the device from Three on the cheapest monthly contract (£10 per month for 2GB) which I promptly cancelled in order to get a pre-paid SIM. Doing it this way worked out cheaper than buying it on Amazon. £39 upfront plus £10 for the 1st month of the contract. 

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White#feature-tabs

I now buy the 24GB (use within 24 months) prepaid SIM cards for around £45 on Amazon (c/w £60 from Three!). 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Lily Rose
price details added

19 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Like Nightwatch, I have a Huawei device (I think I paid around £70 for it from Three, though you can get them on Amazon as well) and use a prepaid Three data SIM (cheaper on Amazon than direct from Three). It's unlocked so you could use a SIM from another provider.

I'm not sure (I'm not on the boat at the moment) if the model I have has a socket for an external aerial, though I think it has, but, I agree with OldGoat that it is probably worth getting one that has just in case you find you need an aerial. I don't have an aerial but my device is placed on a window ledge inside the boat and gets good reception in most places. On the odd occasion that it doesn't I usually find my phone gets little or no reception outside the boat so the problem is not the device, or positioning inside the boat or lack of an aerial but poor signal in that area.

An aerial might be handy though if, unlike me, you don't have a window ledge with a nearby socket for charging while it is in use.

You can get a MiFi cheaper from ebay auction (not BINs 'cos "everyone" stuff the price..) but it should be one of the good quality makes (as well as the aerial socket(s) E5332 (basic) E5573, E5372.

If you use the unit all day, then attach the unit to a charger and use the wifi from you pc / laptop

3 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

Being as the B.S.S.,like an M.O.T.Is only valid on the day,perhaps get an examiner to give the boat a once over,could be money well spent,and if the seller objects,it may be time to walk away????

Oi Ian - eyes up..... Wrong thread, mate ?