Hi everyone - advice needed please

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

There is loads of stuff and it ALL really exciting ? eventually you'll distill it down to the stuff that matters most to you but till then it will feel a bit like you are running all over the place, and every time you learn some thing new it will disrupt what you thought you'd sorted out the last time but don't worry eventually the peaces will slot together and form the bigger picture - you'll be fine. 

The top of your boat may well be a sun trap but just remember it's metal so will get quite hot. ?

Another link that you can explore

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating

Awesome thanks will check this link out as well! I know hopefully I will just go with it and learn as I go along after researching what I can first. x

There is loads of stuff and it ALL really exciting ? eventually you'll distill it down to the stuff that matters most to you but till then it will feel a bit like you are running all over the place, and every time you learn some thing new it will disrupt what you thought you'd sorted out the last time but don't worry eventually the peaces will slot together and form the bigger picture - you'll be fine. 

The top of your boat may well be a sun trap but just remember it's metal so will get quite hot. ?

Awesome thanks will check this link out as well! I know hopefully I will just go with it and learn as I go along after researching what I can first. x

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We were in Willington in March. Actually in one of the pubs fir St Patricks Day. Had to have a Guinness or three.

Theres very good midi gadgets available with some very good data deals. 

Hi thanks whats a midi gadget please? x

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Fat finger syndrome. MIFI.

Lol ok still no better what's a MIFI gadget please? Sounds like a device to unhook my bra lol x

Edited by Guest

Living in a marina (I think) can be great if there's a good mix of other liveaboards - otherwise it can be hell. 

For our first 4 years it was a normal marina in that the boats were in serried ranks (as most marinas are) and if you're living aboard can and will be claustrophobic

Thinks seriosly about that point It's fun moving around and reasonably comfortable on a linear mooring - but that latter is likely to be without power.

The rest of our marinal life  has been in a great place - ten+ years on an island - but we had to "swim out to the boat", unpleasant in the cold and when it's tipping with rain and now on a mooring with no one in front and nothing at the side. Magic. Blurry expensive though, 'specially as we live 100 miles away from it...

Yes, as Mr Nightwatch has said mobile data is going to become really important to you so exploring data only mobile contracts would be a good idea and what sort of myfi device would be best. 

My Mifi is and old thing but they have come a long way of late. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-UNLOCKED-300Mbps-mobile-Router/dp/B071CYR18L/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=mobile+router&qid=1555063018&s=gateway&sr=8-7

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

Living in a marina (I think) can be great if there's a good mix of other liveaboards - otherwise it can be hell. 

For our first 4 years it was a normal marina in that the boats were in serried ranks (as most marinas are) and if you're living aboard can and will be claustrophobic

Thinks seriosly about that point It's fun moving around and reasonably comfortable on a linear mooring - but that latter is likely to be without power.

The rest of our marinal life  has been in a great place - ten+ years on an island - but we had to "swim out to the boat", unpleasant in the cold and when it's tipping with rain and now on a mooring with no one in front and nothing at the side. Magic. Blurry expensive though, 'specially as we live 100 miles away from it...

Wow thanks its great to hear all sides of the story to give a me a great overall picture. x

Thanks guys yes I would definitely need great internet access that's a priority for me! x

2 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Thanks guys yes I would definitely need great internet access that's a priority for me! x

That's a subject well worth searching for and reading up on, there have been lots of conversations about it on here and you'll pick up some good info from past threads about it, then when you have done that start a new thread asking about it so you can really get to the bottom of your needs. There are people who have internet based businesses working from their boats and once it's up and running they seem to keep on top of the internet thing quite well - it's just making sure you have the right set up that suits you. 

So don't worry it is doable it just needs a little know how to make it happen. 

This works well for us, handy as it plugs straight into a handy 12v "cigar lighter" socket on the boat or car.

Also now (from today) with unlimited 4G data courtesy of Virgin mobile!!

Buzzard-2-Detail-1-Format-960.jpg

Just now, Tumshie said:

That's a subject well worth searching for and reading up on, there have been lots of conversations about it on here and you'll pick up some good info from past threads about it, then when you have done that start a new thread asking about it so you can really get to the bottom of your needs. There are people who have internet based businesses working from their boats and once it's up and running they seem to keep on top of the internet thing quite well - it's just making sure you have the right set up that suits you. 

So don't worry it is doable it just needs a little know how to make it happen. 

Thank you soooo much wow you are like my knight in shining armour I really appreciate it!!! x

Just now, Jak said:

This works well for us, handy as it plugs straight into a handy 12v "cigar lighter" socket on the boat or car.

Also now (from today) with unlimited 4G data courtesy of Virgin mobile!!

Buzzard-2-Detail-1-Format-960.jpg

Hi thanks Jack I have never seen one of those before that's fab as I am on Virgin Mobile! Can you get it from the virgin shop then? x

I bought the device (a Buzzard 2 car WiFi dongle) on ebay and then ordered the SIM on Virgin's website.  The device is badged as for EE but it works for Virgin too.  As I understand it they use the same network.

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

You are most welcome :D

Have a famous Tumshie hug :hug:

Lol thanks x

1 minute ago, Jak said:

I bought the device (a Buzzard 2 car WiFi dongle) on ebay and then ordered the SIM on Virgin's website.  The device is badged as for EE but it works for Virgin too.  As I understand it they use the same network.

Great thanks soo much!!! x

Take a look round Mercia marina if you want to be in Willington. It’s a full service marina with good WiFi coverage and they are now talking about running fibre broadband to the pontoon bollards. Big liveaboard community so lots of social events especially in the winter.

http://www.merciamarina.co.uk/

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, BruceinSanity said:

Take a look round Mercia marina if you want to be in Willington. It’s a full service marina with good WiFi coverage and they are now talking about running fibre broadband to the pontoon bollards. Big liveaboard community so lots of social events especially in the winter.

http://www.merciamarina.co.uk/

Thanks soo much I know of Mercia my mums friends told me so I will definitely be checking it out! x

35 minutes ago, Humblespud said:

You guys are all soo cool, soo glad glad the OP isn't a wind up. x Lol x

Omg I'm not a wind up I have no reason to be, I'm genuine lol! x

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Looks like she will give Rusty a run for her money - Miss Whiplash 2

Miss Whiplash.jpg

Omg I'm sorry if I offended I don't mean to. All that I mean from that photo is that I don't have to compromise who I am and how I dress if I was to live on a boat that's all. Is that bad does everyone now all hate me? x

2 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Is that bad does everyone now all hate me? x

No.

The forum is full of old-fogies.

Some free-thinking, fresh blood is what is needed - but - high heels are not safe on a boat, or pontoons.

Wear your wellies but take the heels with you in your bag.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No.

The forum is full of old-fogies.

Some free-thinking, fresh blood is what is needed - but - high heels are not safe on a boat, or pontoons.

Wear your wellies but take the heels with you in your bag.

Thanks I noooo I wasn't going to wear them whilst carrying out tasks and jobs on the boat don't worry! x

16 minutes ago, Laura_Newbie said:

Thanks I noooo I wasn't going to wear them whilst carrying out tasks and jobs on the boat don't worry! x

Don't wooory, it's only old f---s being a bit cheeky. It's not often we get foks and ladies under the age of xx on here - thus it's a bit of a culture shock when younger newbies come on here!