When do I officially ‘own’ the boat?

Lizzy Lou

Featured Posts

We don't really own anything. Think of everything as borrowed – from nature, fortune, god, or whatever you want – we're just caretakers and you can only use things temporarily. They can all be taken away in an instant and eventually they will be.

Edited by blackrose

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

We don't really own anything. Think of everything as borrowed – from nature, fortune, god, or whatever you want – we're just caretakers and you can only use things temporarily. They can all be taken away in an instant and eventually they will be.

That's why I've never worried about losing stuff, especially money. Having in the past been totally skint and sleeping in bus shelters, and now having a boat and a house full of books and music, I've been at both ends. This one's nicer, even at 3am and insomniacal... 

Basically, you buy stuff on trust, and it usually works out OK. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Lizzy Lou said:

we’re singing from the same songsheet. Other contributors, perhaps less so?

I'm certainly singing on the same songsheet. I'm constantly delighted with, and grateful for, my good fortune in owning a boat and my luck in achieving it. 

Unlike Arthur I'm not so good at making music though!

My specific answer to your specific question seemed to prompt the stream of posts you seem to regard as not so upbeat. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Punctuation, and add a bit...

3 hours ago, Lizzy Lou said:

blackrose and Arthur Marshall.

we’re singing from the same songsheet. Other contributors, perhaps less so?

Very many thanks for all the replies. It has been very helpful.

Lizzy Lou

How Beeezar :blink:

7 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

How Beeezar :blink:

Yes very 'Clarice Cliffe' (Bizarre), given the OP asked for factual answers to a factual question, then only approved of the airy-fairey philosophical comments at the end!

And I haven't even had my morning sherry yet ?

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes very 'Clarice Cliffe' (Bizarre), given the OP asked for factual answers to a factual question, then only approved of the airy-fairey philosophical comments at the end!

And I haven't even had my morning sherry yet ?

I had my morning sherry on my cornflakes this morning, well, it is a Sunday

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well, it was three in the morning.  I don't think it was so airy-fairy really, my real point was that whenever you buy something, there's an element of trust involved (even without getting all philosophicalistic about what money really is).  Most people don't try to con you (though it does happen), most boat sellers own the boats they are selling (though not all of them), and most brokers don't stay in business unless their deals stand up (though not all).  It's a bit pointless working on the basis that everyone's out to rip you off, though, obviously, disappointing when it happens.  But rarely life threatening. 

And however perfect the boat looks when you buy it, and however well you think you understand it, it'll have a few surprises in store for you as you go along.  Basically, they're all weird.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Well, it was three in the morning.  I don't think it was so airy-fairy really, my real point was that whenever you buy something, there's an element of trust involved (even without getting all philosophicalistic about what money really is).  Most people don't try to con you (though it does happen), most boat sellers own the boats they are selling (though not all of them), and most brokers don't stay in business unless their deals stand up (though not all).  It's a bit pointless working on the basis that everyone's out to rip you off, though, obviously, disappointing when it happens.  But rarely life threatening. 

And however perfect the boat looks when you buy it, and however well you think you understand it, it'll have a few surprises in store for you as you go along.  Basically, they're all weird.

Yes I got your point, which was a perfectly good one, but peripheral to the question the OP asked.

I just meant it was odd that the OP posted specifically naming your post as meeting with her approval, and implying she disapproved of the specific and factual answers other people gave to her specific and factual question. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Lizzy Lou you asked a question orientated about the safety of the financial transaction. You got a plethora of good advice overall, yet you eventually decided it was not what you wanted to read, correct?

You can always "trust" everyone........I'm sure it will be alright on the night.........on the other hand.....

Having paid (slightly) in advance, we are now proud owners, on board our own boat.?

as I said previously.

Very many thanks for all the replies. It has been very helpful.

Lizzy Lou

Edited by Lizzy Lou

13 hours ago, Lizzy Lou said:

Having paid (slightly) in advance, we are now proud owners, on board our own boat.?

as I said previously.

Very many thanks for all the replies. It has been very helpful.

Lizzy Lou

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of boating ?